Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Soundbar - Samsung HW-K960 - no Atmos via HDMI-Arc

(Topic created on: 19-06-2018 05:24 PM)
GaLL
Apprentice
Options

Hi. I have a problem, and a lot of more people in different forums.

This soundbar cannot receive Atmos over HDMI-Arc!?!?

Since a lot of new TV sets do support Atmos and can send it out via Arc, it is an important issue for the owners of HW-K960 that it will be adressed in a firmware fix. Since this soundbar is advertised as a Atmos soundbar, truly it cannot be reasonably that the customer also need to buy a 3rd party media player or similar?

The TV have Netflix, Youtube and so on. The TV can send Atmos via Arc.

I am hopeful that your hi-end soundbar soon will get an updated firmware so it functions with TV sets and not only Expensive 3rd party players.

Please inform me/other people if you are or will be working on a fix for this. Not fixing this will be a big disadvantage for Samsung in both bad will and functionality.

My TV is a LG 55” C7V. Sound is Samsung HW-K960 according to the box it came in (or is it 950 as it is to read in the menus in TV and?)

Thank you,

Greger

8 REPLIES 8
jander
First Poster
Options

Have the same issue.

Wasted money to have this soundbar without Dolby Atmos supporting ARC. Returning it to shop, 30 day return policy.

JKhayati
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I had the same issue. Check if your player output sound is set to Bitstrean unprocessed. Check if your player supports Dolby Atmos. If these are ok then Factory reset the soundbar and your player. It should solve the problem. At lease it worked on my Samsung Blu-ray player and K960 soundbar.

Good luck

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Hi @GaLL

Having checked the user manual, it states that it is possible to connect via HDMI ARC and use Dolby Atmos. At this stage please check the following link and scroll to page 24 to find a step by step guide. http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201703/20170320125420870/HW-K950_XU_161226.pdf.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@JKhayati wrote:

Hi,

I had the same issue. Check if your player output sound is set to Bitstrean unprocessed. Check if your player supports Dolby Atmos. If these are ok then Factory reset the soundbar and your player. It should solve the problem. At lease it worked on my Samsung Blu-ray player and K960 soundbar.

Good luck

I thought you could not send an atmos signal through ARC.  Thought that was HDMI 2.1 when that becomes available. 

0 Likes
GaLL
Apprentice
Options

Hi @AndrewL

It is ment in the manual that the player has to be connected to HDMI 1 or 2. Still no luck getting the Atmos sound from Atmos-titles on LG-Netflix to the soundbar using the neccesary ARC-connection. This is soundbar related, the TV itself has Atmos if I chosefri not to play the sound on the soundbar. Need to be implemented in a future firmware for the soundbar, otherwise we have a soundbar that is only compatible with Atmos via external mediaplayers (which shouldn´t be needed with today´s smart TV´s).

Thanks,

GaLL

0 Likes
GaLL
Apprentice
Options

@JKhayati wrote:

Hi,

Good luck

Hi.

The issue is to get the Atmos from the TV-Arc. For exemple the Netflix with all the Atmos-titles on the LG smart-TV.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@GaLL wrote:

@Anonymous User @AndrewL

It is ment in the manual that the player has to be connected to HDMI 1 or 2. Still no luck getting the Atmos sound from Atmos-titles on LG-Netflix to the soundbar using the neccesary ARC-connection. This is soundbar related, the TV itself has Atmos if I chosefri not to play the sound on the soundbar. Need to be implemented in a future firmware for the soundbar, otherwise we have a soundbar that is only compatible with Atmos via external mediaplayers (which shouldn´t be needed with today´s smart TV´s).

Thanks,

GaLL

The Samsung onboard Netflix app is not atmos but dd+ 5.1.  Also you need eARC to send atmos not ARC which I think is HDMI 2.1.

0 Likes
GaLL
Apprentice
Options
Hi. LG Netflix app is what I use.
LG C7V.
0 Likes