Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ALL Soundbars > control Spotify with Alexa

(Topic created on: 05-01-2021 09:07 PM)
ClmsVie
Student
Options

Hello,
I own a Q800T soundbar which supports Spotify Connect (which works fine) and Alexa (which also works).

Now I want to control Spotify via Alexa by saying "Alexa, play Wonderwall on Spotify".
Alexa replies with "Spotify is not supported on this device". Which is strange because why shouldn't it work if Spotify Connect works fine?

After talking to Spotify Support and trying different solutions, I still encounter the same problem.
The Amazon/Alexa support wasn't helpful in these regards either.

My question now: Is it supposed to work? Does it work for one of you?

Thanks!

EDIT:  As more and more people appeared with the same issue, it seems that this problem occurs with ALL Samsung soundbars. Right now it is absolutely not advisable to buy a soundbar from Samsung. 🚫 There appears to be no willingness to fix that issue for thousands of customers or an official answer.
I highly recommend buying another product at that point - Sonos for example figured out how to write software for their products, that actually works like promised. 😡

If you have already bought one you can check if you are eligible by law to return it (warranty; false advertisement / non-working product). At least in the European Union, you should be covered by the law.

53 REPLIES 53
azeus
First Poster
Options

Same issue here... 😞

Ogni65
Apprentice
Options

Did you connect it tomthe smart things app?

0 Likes
Members_NfSfTgC
Explorer
Options

I have the same issue..... 

0 Likes
spikey1973
Explorer
Options

same problem, actually have a lot of software related issues from my samsung devies.
1: samsung tv hdmi arc doesn't support yamaha soundbar hdmi arc -> repaired  and software needed (useless)

advice -> buy a samsung soundbar, result.
2: samsung hw-q80r lost connection with subwoofer after an incomplete firmware update. -> repair needed

3: samsung tv keeps crasing after a factory reset (not a firmware update)-> repair needed

4: samsung firmware update zip can only be downloaded via windows (a zip file.. and trust me i tried)

5: samsung doesn't give a checksum on your downloads

6: samsung doesn't give a list on firmware updates. and ofcourse this issue.
7: samsung doesn't fully support the primere assistent alexa

honestly.. all the above a ridiculous for a brand with such a name.

i was happy with my samsung tv, but to be honoust.. i now wish i would have never bought the ***** thing and will never buy anything from samsung again!!

spikey1973
Explorer
Options

well, i got this issue solved by connection my q80r to my samsung echo dot via bleutooth, then set is as the standard speaker for my echo dot. now it plays it all fine via alexa.

0 Likes
LyNDe
Student
Options

Same problem with Samsung TU8505 Crystal UHD. This is ridiculous!!  Samsung let's go with new firmware update to solve it!!

0 Likes
Lmontgomery
First Poster
Options

Anyone manage to find a fix for this? 

0 Likes
Worn
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

same here. HW-Q800T. The only workaround so far ist to play music via amazon prime music or to connect an echo dot via bluetooth. With the echo dot bluetooth solution you always need to say "echo connect speaker" first which is annoying. It is def. a software problem. The setup is not able to connect to spotify correctly. 

What´s also annoying is that you cannot change the trigger word from alexa to echo for the soundbar. 

@Samsung: Please update or provide a solution/workaround. 

Thanks

Ben

Daniel Almeida
First Poster
Options

Have the same issue here, Samsung online support told me to take the soundbar to technical repair but as I can see here, this will not solve the problem.

0 Likes
Members_NfSfTgC
Explorer
Options

Latest firmware is over 4 months old and still no updates. I can't believe it, very very poor customer support 

0 Likes