Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Soundbar no longer turns on with tv

(Topic created on: 01-04-2019 07:45 PM)
Medders
Explorer
Options

Hi, I have a samsung K series tv - bought in 2017 and a Samsung hw-j355 bought at the same time. Up until recently the sound connect has been working flawlessly but it has now stopped turning on the the sound bar. Once on it connects and it responds to the tv remote with no problems.  Why would it have stopped working?? I’ve tried removing it from the tv and re-pairing it. I’ve tried a factory reset on the tv but it hasn’t worked. I’m kind of out of ideas! Any suggestions would be welcome!

284 REPLIES 284
Medders
Explorer
Options

So has anyone who has updated to the new firmware 1232 found that it solved the issue? 

0 Likes
Njklutz
First Poster
Options

I tweeted directly to Samsung and after numerous back and forth they said I needed to update the TV and soundbar firmware.  If I update on wifi on the TV it says I have the most current firmware.  She sent me links to upload via USB (hard to find USB port with the TV hanging) but got it in and the TV told me there is no applicable ugrage on the USB.

I downloaded the soundbar upgrade onto a USB only to find i need a USBC converter to plug in the USB, of course I don't have one nor does Samsung provide that so I can't upgrade that either.

So then they told me my TV is defective and as it is out of warranty I need to bring it into a service center.  What a crock of BS!!

0 Likes
Woodwarrior
Apprentice
Options

I too am having the same problem as the many people on this issue.  I am amazed at how long this has been an issue, and how seemingly unresponsive Samsung has been.  I agree, A RECALL IS IN ORDER if the problem is not fixed in a reasonable time (and that seems to be the case).  If Samsung does not correct this problem in the next week or so, perhaps we should lobby for a Recall, or someone file a class action suit.  For the prices of the Samsung Soundbar and Samsung TV's....they should work as intended and if they don't and, if Samsung is not offering support for resolution, then there appears to be no other alternative!

StephenEngineer
Explorer
Options

Yes, they have had more than enough time, this started at the end of Nov last year, and this disgraceful lack of support and solution means I want my money back and will buy something else.

Sound1
Explorer
Options

I totally agree.  What makes matters even worse is that their help desk seems completely unaware of this problem, and takes you through a series of useless, and painfully obvious, attempts to resolve the issue.

Furthermore, although this is a site which was begun by and is maintained by Samsung, they apparently nevr look at it to see what consumers' problems are.

0 Likes
Woodwarrior
Apprentice
Options

I bought my Soundbar and TV both from Costco as well.  I sure hope they apply pressure on Samsung because I'm seeing a lot of people posting about this....but I don't see anything from Samsung advising as to how to deal with it.  At the very least they should say what the cause is, and that they are working on a solution...rather than having their customers trying all kinds of DIY solutions!  COME ON SAMSUNG, IF YOU WANT TO KEEP US AS FUTURE CUSTOMERS, GIVE US SOME INFO!! 

0 Likes
Woodwarrior
Apprentice
Options

I use an HDMI connection, and I still have the problem!

0 Likes
mmeives
Student
Options

I went on vacation for 2 weeks when I turned the TV on the soundbar came on with it and it has been working properly the last three days??? Software version is 1231 I didn't make any change but the TV is set to auto-update.

0 Likes
rsm
Apprentice
Options

The update 1232 WORKED -- no more issues with the soundbar, as well as the YouTube app not loading up properly.

The Samsung website has had the 1232 update for about a week, but for whatever reason, trying to update the easy way via the TV settings menu said 1231 was still the latest version. 

Since the update was 1.2 GB, I had to go buy a new 16GB USB flash drive (about < $5) since all the USB drives I had were old and not big enough. So if you're going to take this route, be aware of the firmware size.

From the downloaded firmware zip file, I unzipped 2 files, moved them to the USB drive (no special folders, just simply drop into the top level), plugged it into the USB port on the back of the tv, then selected Support->Software Update -> Update Now

After a few minutes, it updated the firmware and restarted the TV.

I only wish they had fixed this much sooner and also made it immediately available via the TV menu software update process. 

But bottom line is -- it's back to normal, just like pre-December 2018. So for those without the update yet, there is hope.

0 Likes
Medders
Explorer
Options

@rsm  That’s great news. Light at the end of the tunnel ...

0 Likes