Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky Q & HDMI Surround Sound Setup

(Topic created on: 02-02-2019 09:46 PM)
Akkie007
Student
Options

Equipment - TV: Samsung UE49KS7500 / Soundbar: Samsung HW-MS6500 / Sky Q (UHD model)

I have connected everything using HDMI leads. Current set up:

TV (ARC port) to Soundbar (ARC port)

Sky Q to Soundbar HDMI port.

When i turn Sky & TV on (using SKY remote) the sound comes out of the TV speakers.

I then have to manually turn the soundbar on then select the source to HDMI in order to get sound out of the soundbar.

(I would have thought once the TV & SKY are powered up it would automatically turn the soundbar on?)

Is there something i am doing wrong regarding the setup for the soundbar not to automatically power up? (when connected via WiFi it powers it up no problem)

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18
Akkie007
Student
Options

I have tried factory resets, new cables, a diffrent TV just nothing seems to work. At present i am using the Sky Q 2TB box (direct cable connection.) - My gut feeling is the problem lies within the software.

The problem lies with the TV and soundbar searching for a source automatically. (the ARC source seems to be the pre-programmed default)

So if you where using the HDMI source on the soundbar to use SKY Q and then turned  everything off. The next time you turned the units back on you would think it would stay on the same source. This is not the case - it will automatically default back to the ARC source.

If there was an option within the settings where you can choose a default HDMI port where the soundbar would only read from this ie. HDMI source and not ARC. this would resolve the issue. It would avoid the soundbar automatically looking for a source/picture to play.

0 Likes
kit1977
Journeyman
Options

Have you tried turning off anynet+ ?

also make sure hdmi control on the sky q is set to ON

0 Likes
Gordon01277
Apprentice
Options
You have to turn the speakers off directly from within the TV, once off they stay off until you reactivate.
0 Likes
Milky
Journeyman
Options

I am having the same problem. Sky q to hw n950 soundbar via hdmi1, then soundbar to TV via hdmi arc. I have to connect this way to be able to listen in Dolby atmos when available. I switch everything on with sky q remote. Everything fine for approx 20 seconds then defaults back to TV arc, so I have to press home button to get back to hdmi 1 source and everything is fine. A bit annoying. 

Akkie007
Student
Options

I know its so frustrating!

The problem I feel lies within the software. There needs to be a way/option where you can specify that it will only look for the hdmi port and nothing else.

0 Likes
phneutral
Journeyman
Options

I have the exact same issue with my Sky Q box connected to HDMI on the sound bar.

I sometimes see a blue screen from Sky saying something like "This display does not support HDCP" and when I put the Sky Q box into standby, I hear about 3 seconds of audio from Sky before it powers off. 

I believe it's a HDMI handshake timing issue between the Sky STB and Soundbar. There's a 40 page thread on Sky's community website complaining about the same thing on different TVs and Soundbars so I don't think it's a fault with the N950.

Until now the only fix was pulling the plug on the Sky box, but I've found a workaround which has so far worked every time:

When you start watching Sky, make sure the TV & soundbar are switched on BEFORE you power on the Sky box. When you stop viewing Sky, put the Sky box into standby before doing ANYTHING else like powering off TV or switching inputs to Blu-ray, streaming/gaming device or TV ARC. 

I have also stopped using the Sky remote to power on the TV and Soundbar, but still use it for volume. And I replaced the Sky supplied HDMI cable with pink connecter with a different high speed cable. 

My TV is a LG OLED B7.

0 Likes
Oyodi
First Poster
Options

I had a similar problem and solved mine by plugging the amp HDMI ARC out lead into the TV HDMI 1 (not the arc imput on the tv).

0 Likes
Rooster1506
First Poster
Options

Hi l was having same issue driving me mad. Solved this issue throw away the sky hdmi so DO NOT use the sky hdmi cable

new non sky hdmi cable from sky q to tv hdmi

non sky hdmi cable from soundbar arc to tv arc

all sorted hope this helps

MultiRetroMan
Journeyman
Options

Not sure if anyone is still having the issues but I have Sky Q connected to the ARC HDMI port and the Sound system (an old Panasonic Bluray player with 5.1 surround speakers) and there's a setting for Auto Power Link that needs to be enabled as well. I also have a digital optical lead from the TV the to the Panasonic. I have found that not only will it turn on when the TV is turned on but will also turn off with it.

With regards to the issue of the error message, I had the same message and did a youtube video on it. If I recall, you need to change the setting to 8 bit 4K HDR, if my memory serves me correctly.

Hope this all works okay  :smiling-face:

0 Likes