Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Soundbar HW-Q90R

(Topic created on: 01-11-2019 09:01 AM)
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all,

I need a little help with my soundbar (HW-Q90R). It arrived today which I am excited about it. I set it all up through HDMI ARC soundbar > Tv (LG C8).

I then, went on to Netflix app which supports Dolby atmos and Apple TV 4K to try a Dolby atmos film and when it came on I got no form of message on the display on the soundbar to say "Dolby atmos" I thought once it is receiving that sound source it would display it to let the user know it has engaged? instead I got no form of message at all. It just played. 

please could someone shed some light on this for me?

Thank you. 

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
CarlH
Options

Hi @zhspence. Dolby Atmos should be displayed when it's working correctly. Have you tried a different HDMI cable? 

zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

Hi, thanks for the reply. 

I have it all up and running now, though I am frustrated and comcencerd as I've just spoken to Samsung support who have just stated that the HW-Q90R is not eARC?! 

I said well apparently Samsung have stated it was coming out through a firmware update I'm August. 

for some reason, very few Samsung support staff know a single thing about their own products. It infuriates me. 

0 Likes
Olivier75009
Apprentice
Options

Actually, LG OLED C8 has no HDMI eARC, only HDMI ARC. Moreover, Netflix Atmos is embedded, it's not lossless. Try to play from an external device -> hdmi -> soundbar -> LG C8 hdmi ARC. I got 4K Atmos movies playing that way, the soundbar shows DOLBY ATMOS then.

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options

I have the C9 now which is eARC and whilst I had the C8 I got it to work through arc from turning on auto and it passed it through all be it compressed to DD+. Though now it's November eARC is coming to all tvs and soundbars of 2019 in an update. 

0 Likes
Olivier75009
Apprentice
Options

I would be interested to know how a compressed Atmos audio (Netflix only has compressed Atmos for their 4K Atmos said movies) would be identified by the HW-Q90R. Does it recognized it as an Atmos audio ?

BTW, do you experienced any trouble with the new OLED 9 series firwmare as it seems to have a unique HDMI plugged in ?

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
It still shows Dolby atmos on the soundbar display, but Netflix doesn’t support dolbytrueHD only DD+
0 Likes
abc123xyz
Explorer
Options

@zhspence wrote:

I have the C9 now which is eARC and whilst I had the C8 I got it to work through arc from turning on auto and it passed it through all be it compressed to DD+. Though now it's November eARC is coming to all tvs and soundbars of 2019 in an update. 

Do you get Dolby Vision HDR to passthough the soundbar to your TV? or are you going from the source to the tv then soundbar?

0 Likes
abc123xyz
Explorer
Options

@Olivier75009 wrote:

Actually, LG OLED C8 has no HDMI eARC, only HDMI ARC. Moreover, Netflix Atmos is embedded, it's not lossless. Try to play from an external device -> hdmi -> soundbar -> LG C8 hdmi ARC. I got 4K Atmos movies playing that way, the soundbar shows DOLBY ATMOS then.

do you get Dolby Vision HDR to pass through the soundbar with your setup?

0 Likes
Olivier75009
Apprentice
Options

Sorry for the very late, but yes it 's HDR on TV and Atmos on HW-Q90R

0 Likes