Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quite Rears over eARC? Q90R

(Topic created on: 17-06-2020 09:12 AM)
stoneagem
Explorer
Options

Does anyone else experiencing that the Rears are more quiet over eARC as when you directly connect your device to the Soundbar? 

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

I've performed an extensive test and I did not notice  any differences. 

My set: LG Oled C9 connected to the soundbar via eARC, HW-q90R, Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 connected to the soundar via HDMI, Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 connected to the TV 

Test Material: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 5.1 streaming , Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade mkv DTS 5.1 REMUX,  Mad Max Fury Road opening scene mkv lossless ATMOS , Ready Player One race scene mkv lossless ATMOS . 

Players : Amazon prime internal app, Amazon Prime Nvidia app, Kodi Nvdia app

Sound mode: Standard

Volume settings:

Treble: +2

Bass: +1

Center: +6

Side: +2

Center top: +6

Rear: +6

Rear top: +6

SW: +4

Virtual mode: OFF

Results:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. 

- Amazon Prime LG C9 Intenal app: Clear and loud in all the speakers. Great sound allocation. 

- Amazon Prime Nvidia app shield conected to the soundar: Clear and loud in all the speakers Great sound allocation. 

- Kodi app Nvidia shield connected to the soundbar, REMUX DTS 5.1: Very poor performance, muffled sound, rears quiet

- Amazon Prime Nvidia app shield conected to the TV, TV connected to the soundbar via eARC: Clear and loud in all the speakers Great sound allocation. 

- Kodi Nvidia shield conected to the TV, TV connected to the soundbar, REMUX DTS 5.1: Very poor performance, muffled sound, rears quiet.

So in this case, the content is critical. The streaming version is excellent, while the 40GB DTS 5.1 Remux rip is very poor quality when it comes to sound. Do not really know why.

Mad Max Fury Road.  Opening scene. Dolby Atmos

- Kodi app Nvidia shield connected to the soundbar: Mindblowing effects, rears load and clear.

- Kodi Nvidia shield conected to the TV, TV connected to the soundbar: Mindblowing effects, rears load and clear.

Ready Player One race scene

- Kodi app Nvidia shield connected to the soundbar: Mindblowing effects, rears loud and clear.

- Kodi Nvidia shield conected to the TV, TV connected to the soundbar: Mindblowing effects, rears loud and clear.

What  I did notice is that after the latest firmware update I feel the LFE from the Subwoofer  less powerful. But It might be just a wrong impression as I cannot peform a direct comparison.

I recommend you to perform similar tests and share with us. 

stoneagem
Explorer
Options

Thanks for your Test, i will do it tonight.

I own the CX so it will be similar to the C9.. Did you choose Audio Output AUTO oder PASSTHROUGH in your C9 settings ? Passthrough only gives me PCM Stereo 2.0, while Auto gives me Compressed DD+ 5.1/7.1.

Would like to get uncompressed PCM 5.1/7.1

@Estevez1979 wrote:

I've performed an extensive test and I did not notice  any differences. 

My set: LG Oled C9 connected to the soundbar via eARC, HW-q90R, Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 connected to the soundar via HDMI, Nvidia Shield TV Pro 2019 connected to the TV 

Test Material: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade 5.1 streaming , Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade mkv DTS 5.1 REMUX,  Mad Max Fury Road opening scene mkv lossless ATMOS , Ready Player One race scene mkv lossless ATMOS . 

Players : Amazon prime internal app, Amazon Prime Nvidia app, Kodi Nvdia app

Sound mode: Standard

Volume settings:

Treble: +2

Bass: +1

Center: +6

Side: +2

Center top: +6

Rear: +6

Rear top: +6

SW: +4

Virtual mode: OFF

Results:

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. 

- Amazon Prime LG C9 Intenal app: Clear and loud in all the speakers. Great sound allocation. 

- Amazon Prime Nvidia app shield conected to the soundar: Clear and loud in all the speakers Great sound allocation. 

- Kodi app Nvidia shield connected to the soundbar, REMUX DTS 5.1: Very poor performance, muffled sound, rears quiet

- Amazon Prime Nvidia app shield conected to the TV, TV connected to the soundbar via eARC: Clear and loud in all the speakers Great sound allocation. 

- Kodi Nvidia shield conected to the TV, TV connected to the soundbar, REMUX DTS 5.1: Very poor performance, muffled sound, rears quiet.

So in this case, the content is critical. The streaming version is excellent, while the 40GB DTS 5.1 Remux rip is very poor quality when it comes to sound. Do not really know why.

Mad Max Fury Road.  Opening scene. Dolby Atmos

- Kodi app Nvidia shield connected to the soundbar: Mindblowing effects, rears load and clear.

- Kodi Nvidia shield conected to the TV, TV connected to the soundbar: Mindblowing effects, rears load and clear.

Ready Player One race scene

- Kodi app Nvidia shield connected to the soundbar: Mindblowing effects, rears loud and clear.

- Kodi Nvidia shield conected to the TV, TV connected to the soundbar: Mindblowing effects, rears loud and clear.

What  I did notice is that after the latest firmware update I feel the LFE from the Subwoofer  less powerful. But It might be just a wrong impression as I cannot peform a direct comparison.

I recommend you to perform similar tests and share with us. 

0 Likes
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

It's set in passthrough.

I do not need PCM as I do not have any 5.1/7.1 PCM source connected to the TV  (came console, PC, etc).

In the C9 we recently have received a firmware update to play PCM multichannel sources. So if you choose AUTO you get:

- PCM multichannel

- Downmix TRUE HD lossless Atmos to lossy DD+

With Passtrough:

- PCM 2.0

-Lossless ATmos and DTS-X

So, there is no other option, you need to play with the settings of the TV  in order to get the most of each source.

0 Likes
stoneagem
Explorer
Options

@Estevez1979 wrote:

It's set in passthrough.

I do not need PCM as I do not have any 5.1/7.1 PCM source connected to the TV  (came console, PC, etc).

In the C9 we recently have received a firmware update to play PCM multichannel sources. So if you choose AUTO you get:

- PCM multichannel

- Downmix TRUE HD lossless Atmos to lossy DD+

With Passtrough:

- PCM 2.0

-Lossless ATmos and DTS-X

So, there is no other option, you need to play with the settings of the TV  in order to get the most of each source.

Doesn't the Shield outputting PCM? 

I red about the Update, the CX should support LPCM over eARC out of the Box they say

Yes when i set mine to auto in only get lossy DD+. Shouldn't it be LPCM 5.1/7.1 when set to Passthrough?

when i directly put my streaming device to the Soundbar i get PCM 5.1/7.1

0 Likes
Gil80
Pioneer
Options

The CX doesn't support DTS X. So you can't passthrough it anyway. 
You need to dig somewhere in the audio setting of your TV and set it to Bitstream. 

If you have a streamer like nvidia shield, it needs to be connected to the soundbar. In this setup you'll get DTS X and the video will passthrough to your TV. 

0 Likes