Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Question about an H5100 Ethernet connection

(Topic created on: 16-06-2021 12:38 AM)
derpne
First Poster
Options

I have an old H5100 Blu-ray player with a manual, wired setup.   Recently, I upgraded an old Cat5 cable to a Cat8 cable, and now the Gateway ping is not recognizing the player.  The network on the Blu-ray player states it is connected to my modem/router, but the modem/router ARP does not list the Blu-ray's static IP address.

The player was working fine with the Cat5 cable, but it was slow as ^*#%.

So now I wonder:  does this device recognize Cat8? 

Does anyone know?

Also, if not, does anyone know if this device would at least recognize a Cat6?

Thank you!

P.S.  While I appreciate offers for new cables, I only need knowledge of the highest speed cable that the H5100 can use.

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
LiquidSnake
Big Cheese
Options
I have a new CAT.5e that should improve the speed. Link is below.
https://www.shpock.com/en-gb/i/YJgS2Jte3AdAZnHU/ethernet-1-5m-length-lead-patch-cable-yellow
0 Likes
derpne
First Poster
Options

Thank you for the offer; however, I use 25-foot cables to go from our modem to our H5100, as they sit a room away from each other. 

Do you know the most recent cable version the H5100 can use, by they way?  Have you used a Cat5.e instead of the Cat5, and have you ever tried the Cat6?

0 Likes
Solution
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
Cat6 are backwards compatible so should be okay, however don't expect any speed boosts whatever cable you end up using. 25 feet of Cat5 indoors is not going to be a bottleneck even over gigabit LAN at that length.
0 Likes
derpne
First Poster
Options

I will buy a Cat6 and see how it goes!  I did not know they were backwards compatible; this is important.

And, yes, at 25 feet, it is a stretch.  I thought about repeaters, but they run a penny or two.

0 Likes
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
25 feet is nothing, I have a 30m Cat5 from the router to my home office and still get gigabit LAN file transfers to and from the NAS at full speed. Comparing with my laptop on a 3 feet cable next to the router there's no drop off.
0 Likes