Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Q950A Soundbar - Rear Speaker Positioning.

(Topic created on: 29-06-2021 06:53 PM)
Ger_Marsh
Apprentice
Options

Hello Community,

I have just had an on-line "chat" with Samsung Support but think I was somewhat misunderstood! We have just bought a rather expensive Q950A soundbar with surround speakers which, to me, was a compromise as I would rather a decent AV amp and individual speakers. However, having played a few Atmos and DD demos I was very impressed! I suspect many will buy such a soundbar to avoid running cables or if the room is not nice and symmetrical. The settee is nicely positioned for the TV and the umpteen speaker units in the soundbar itself but positioning the surround speakers is tricky as there is a breakfast bar around 30cm behind the settee and the obvious place to place them. However, there is only one mains plug near and my wife reminds me it is a kitchen unit and not a place for multiple speakers! To try to get some decent surround sound from one speaker (the left), I moved it to a small table about 1.2m from the left of the settee (as you are sitting on the settee).

I realise that the volume of that speaker would be greatly decreased compared with its left counterpart but I can find no way of tweaking the individual volume for that speaker. This soundbar is used in conjunction with an LG OLED TV but research has led me to believe that if it was talking to a Samsung TV it would automatically calibrate for the room shape etc. I cannot find a way to calibrate it apart from the low frequency sounds.

Is this a hopeless cause?

Any help would be gratefully received and may lead to domestic bliss once again!

3 REPLIES 3
AndrewL
Options

@Ger_Marsh: It's possible to adjust the volume level depending on the position of your rear speakers by tapping the Sound Control button on your remote multiple times and selecting REAR LEVEL, REAR TOP LEVEL and REAR SIDE LEVEL, which appear in sequence. Use the Up/Down buttons to adjust the volume, which ranges from -6 to +6, and this should hopefully help you get the levels you want. 

0 Likes
Ger_Marsh
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for your quick response, AndrewL - I found that but I think that would adjust the volume of both speakers and not just the left one.  Also, do you know of a test tone I could use to balance the speakers?

I could not find an option for a tone generator.

0 Likes
Ger_Marsh
Apprentice
Options

Just had a discussion with customer support and they confirm it is not possible to alter the relative volume of the left hand speaker. Also, the manual does not contain any information about the auto calibration by SpaceFit Sound+ which apparently needs a nice new Samsung TV. I think that is a bit naughty! I could do the calibration myself if I could alter the volume of individual speakers (and not even the drivers).

0 Likes