Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Sound on Subwoofer with HW-Q80R

(Topic created on: 26-12-2020 12:58 PM)
Yoda83
First Poster
Options

I have no sound with the HW-Q80R subwoofer.

The soundbar itself works fine. HDMI1 (IN) is connected to an HTPC & HDMI OUT (TV-ARC) is connected to the HDMI ARC port on a Samsung QE65Q85R.

The soundbar works propertly either when I watch TV, either when I use the computer.

Unfortunately, the subwoofer do not work at all. The blue light is on (no blinking). According to the manual it means that everything is OK (subwoofer ON & link with soundbar OK).

I have updated the soundbar firmware to the latest version first with Smart Things (version 1007.9) & then with a USB key and a manual Firmware download (version 1008.0).

The two following articles reference a very similar issue with HW-Q90R soundbar:

https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-audio-video/how-to-update-the-software-of-your-q90r-soundbar/

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/troubleshooting/TSG01202075/

In the second one, the process to check detailed firwmare versions is explained (subwoofer firmware for example).

In my scenario, I get:

M 0126.0
B 1008.0
H 0051.0
FD 0040.0
W 0033.0
S 0033.0

RR & RL are not displayed (probably because HW-Q80R is not shipped with rear speakers by default).

According to the article, S (Subwoofer) version should be equal or superior to 0136.0. In my case the version is an older one (0033.0).

The process to update the subwoofer firmware (step4 in the second article) do not work. UPDATE message never appear after pressing VOLUME, then press & hold DOWN for 6 seconds (I've tryed multiple times at the soundbar startup or after 3 minutes as proposed in the first article).

I don't know what to do next.

I receive the soundbar & subwoofer yesterday.

The first article instructs to contact Samsung if the firmware update do not solve the issue.

No one answer inside the online chat; therefore I take a chance through this forum.

Best Regards,

10 REPLIES 10
Kolec
First Poster
Options

I have exactly the same issue. Moreover, I don't see dolby domos on the soundbar display and tv when using netflix. Works fine when watch atmos from pendrive connected to the same TV.

Previously, I had q90r (now exchanged to q80r) and it started to work when changed on TV from PCM to Auto. Now it does not help.

0 Likes
Chad25
First Poster
Options

I have this exact same issue. Any luck fixing it?  Samsung online help chat was worthless. Said the speakers should auto update and have a nice day. Super frustrating, there has to be a way to force the firmware out. Otherwise I guess this goes back to the store. 

0 Likes
timanfaya
Apprentice
Options

Did you get any further with your issue?

I have the same (and commonly reported) "intermittent subwoofer connection" issue for which the recommendation is to update the subwoofer firmware from S0033.0.

I am based in the UK and bought the bar from John Lewis a few weeks ago.

The firmware of the bar is aready the latest version (1008.0), however when trying to trigger the update to the subwoofer nothing happens.

I've tried following Samsung's instructions to manually perform the USB update (extracting files to SAT-HKA19WWC\image on a USB, inserting after bar has been on for 3 mins) however nothing is shown on the soundbar display. I've tried both 1007.9 and 1008.0 firmware just in case there were region locked issues.

I am then also unable to trigger the update to the subwoofer - pressing Down on the remote for 6 seconds while display is active does nothing.

SmartThings app is borderline useless and shows no updates available.

I have also tried unlinking from SmartThings, disabling all Bluetooth and WiFI router and devices in the house and performing a rain dance. The only thing that enables a consistent connection is to put the sub directly next to the bar (millimeters from the bar) - not a long-term solution.

Running out of ideas and patience, any help appreciated!

0 Likes
Matt49
Apprentice
Options

I've received my unit yesterday.

Already wasted hours trying to make it work properly.

Upgraded firmware including on Sub, RR, RL. They show the latest versions:

b11010.5
h51.0
fd40.0
w240.0
s136.0
rr0.0
rl0136.0

Still, the pairing is random, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Mostly it doesn't work.

Even when I manage to pair all 3 remote speakers, then I run a sound test and often one of them will disconnect. I'm almost sure that one of them is worse than the others as it connects less often.

Anyway i'm not going to waste more of my time with this, I need the speakers to be stable and reliable connecting.

it is extremely frustrating to have a premium device mis-behave like this.

I had not purchased Samsung before and will never purchase it again. I wil send the unit back for refund.

I should have trusted you all in the forums with all these problems which I read about it before buying. silly me for still buying it 😐

All the best to you all!

0 Likes
Chris726
Explorer
Options

Same issue as on q90r. Samsung wash their hands of you about basic issues such as this. Never before have I had a subwoofer so big that make so little noise! 

Q60TSub
Apprentice
Options

What an utter joke... Same problem sub produces no sound... How on earth>>???

0 Likes
Oakey262
First Poster
Options

I have exactly same problem and also same response from samsung online chat. I assume that you have had no reply since first posting??

0 Likes
Chris726
Explorer
Options

Nope. I gave up and then resorted to credit card company to put a claim in but Samsung fobbed them off too!

Not impressed.

samsung continue to build good TVs but can’t do audio!

I have since spent £100 on a Logitech 2.1 setup for my PC, the subwoofer is deafening when turned up.

absolute joke!

0 Likes
Oakey262
First Poster
Options

So if you had another soundbar which would you purchase?

0 Likes