Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help connecting bluetooth headphones and soundbar simultaneously

(Topic created on: 30-09-2019 05:50 PM)
Pelsia
First Poster
Options

Hello,

I could use some assistance, I'm got a Samsung Model QN75Q65FN TV that I'm trying to use with a Bose soundbar and Bose wireless headphones.  The soundbar is connected through the hdmi arc and works great on its own, and the headphones when selected in the sound settings (bluetooth) also work fine on their own. 

When I try to use both I can't seem to get them to activate at the same time.  If I use the multi output in the accessibility section as suggested in a previous post the sound will come out of the TV speakers but I can't get it to come out of the soundbar.  Are there any suggestions on how to get both to work at the same time?  Both can function independently of each other but I need them to work simultaneously.  Anyone have some help on how to get these to work in tandem?

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
jcgc50
Student
Options

Clark2, if I understand you correctly both the soundbar and headphones would have to be connected to the optical splitter?

I also assume that the volume for the soundbar would then have to be controlled by the remote for the soundbar. That's something I can live with but one of the reasons I bought the Samsung soundbar is so my wife only had to deal with one remote.

0 Likes
uspeed
Apprentice
Options

Soundbar you can connect through HDMI-ARC, and optical for headphone. 

You can control soundbar and tv with one remote make sure ARC is on. You don't have to buy Samsung any brand sound bar can be used to control with one remote. 

0 Likes
clark2
Journeyman
Options
Yes; optic out from TV/OneConnect to splitter (1 optical in, 2 optical out).  1 of the optical out goes to the soundbar (soundbar remoted controls the volume out of the soundbar).  The other optic output goes to the Bluetooth transmitter.  I paired my headphones to the bluetooth transmitter (not to the TV).  My headphones control the volume to the headphones.  So I can listen at one level (via headphones) and my wife can listen to another level from soundbar.  NOTE:  I use no HDMI connection to the sound bar - only optic connection from TV/OneConnect.    Make sure to go to TV menu to Speaker out and select "optical".  My JS8500 will only allow one active at a time.  I can select TV speakers or HDMI or Optical  - select optical.
0 Likes
clark2
Journeyman
Options

0 Likes
OpticalSplitter
First Poster
Options

I just wanted to say thanks for posting about the optical splitting solution for the soundbar and headsets. It worked peferctly.

Context:

1) Cox Contour on HDMI 1 w/DVR

2) Fire TV on HDMI 2

I had the same issue with my wife ... sometimes we both want to use a headset, sometimes just one (so they need the TV or soundbar volume), sometimes just the TV/Soundbar.

We were good to go before with the Vizio that just died with RF headsets with a base/charger unit connected with RCA (white/red) to the TV. The headsets also worked connected to the Cox DVR for HDMI 1, but obviously were not available on Fire TV HDMI 2, so kept it connected to TV. 

Vizio (on legs, no soundbar just TV speakers) backlight died, so bought new Samsung TV (UN55RU7100FXZA)  and Samsung Soundbar 2.1 HW-R450, and prepared wall mounting.

I ran 10 ft HDMI and 10 ft RCA through the wall, assuming it all would work like the TV before. The 7100 TV has a RCA out white/red port ... so assumed I was good to go. Bad assumption ... Samsung terrible user manual, several calls, finally figured out how the "multi speaker" setting worked ... and DID NOT work. Then googling, videos, and finally saw your post. Thanks again. 

I bought the same splitter that you did, but am using this BT Transmitter ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQ87RVT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ). It is working perfectly for two headsets (actually my new BT headset and wife earbuds), and both in aptx low latency (no lag). We tend to only use the headsets when we are binging on series, so I just leave the BT Transmitter off and flip it on when we need it. I actually prefer the lightweight RF headset for the times I just need to bypass regular channels (news), so I hooked the RF base to the Cox DVR. Samsung TV and soundbar turn off and on together ... all FINALLY good to go. That is ... after a week of research, removing the HDMI (arc) and RCA extension from the wall and wall mounting kit, and replacing with 10 ft optical cable (CLC). Still have the one 10 ft HDMI clc cable in the wall to connect TV to Cox DVR. Jeeze 

Note: looks like I lost some audio setting options you get with HDMI arc (Dolby ???), and am locked into PCM. I'm not an audio expert ... so not sure what that means, just know the new soundbar sounds good and beats the TV speakers. The simultaneious soundbar, two BT headsets functionality was more important to me. 

Other than the extra $, I actually like this solution. I am not really interested in the TV being "smart", other than I want it to keep up with it's updates with wifi. I am either using the Cox Contour remote, or the Amazion Fire TV remote, so never touch the Samsung remote unless forced into settings. I have learned the new TV panels and backlights fail way too often ... not like it used to be. So I buy the 5 year extended warranties, and look at it like a 5 year rental. The TV, and now the BT transmitter are not single points of failure. BT transmitter dies ... add another. TV dies past 5 year warranty, put the wall mounting bracket arms on a new TV ... good to go. So yes, it seems Samsung should have provided this type of functionality from the TV, but what if my next TV preference does not. Now I'm back to figuring out a solution again. 

Note: I attached the optical splitter to the back of the TV console, and that helped with the frickin cable nest. 

Oh yeah ... I was confused about bluetooth at first, why the jumping through hoops for two connections/pairings. I even had the misguided idea I might be able to pair headsets to the bluetooth soundbar (yeah, both receivers ... get it now). Finally got it ... bluetooth is designed to be one-to-one exclusive ... what it was built for. Want a one-to-two ... have to add a device for that trickery. 

EDIT:

TV optical out -> optical splitter in

optical splitter out #1 -> soundbar

optical splitter out #2 -> bluetooth transmitter

bluetooth transmitter set to "TX" and Optical. I have no plans to use the "RX" feature. 

Dpbbab
First Poster
Options

I have been trying to do the same with 2 different models of Samsung TVs and finally met with success.  Here’s what it cost me and what I did.  I purchased a CMST digital optical audio splitter with a power source (I plugged the usb into my soundbar for power) that came with a optical connector for $15.99 on Amazon.  Next I purchased an Elegiant Bluetooth 5.0 transmitter receiver wireless audio adaptor with a power source for $34.98.  The challenge was the sound output settings on my tv.  There were TWO places in system I had to change the output to PCM.  This set up would not work until I had done that.  Now for $50 I’ve solved my problem!  (Oh, yeah - and I ended up returning the MEE connect I’d tried first for $60).

First you must connect the optical cable from the tv to the CMST digital optical splitter. Then connect one optical cable from the CMST digital optical splitter to the soundbar and connect a second optical cable from the CMST digital optical splitter to the  Elegiant bluetooth transmitter.  The only thing left is syncing your bluetooth headsets (you can have 5 of them).  

Thank you to everyone who took the time to post!  Good luck!

0 Likes
jfisher16
First Poster
Options

RU9000Samsung tv with HW-N850_za Samsung Sound bar & Bluetooth Sub connected to the TV using ARC. Can i use your setup to run Bluetooth headphones simultaneously. Since the Soundbar sub is connected to the TV's Bluetooth, did you add an additional Bluetooth transmitter to a tv USB port and pair the headphones to it? Sorry, just writing this made me confused.

0 Likes