Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q950T - sound from rear speakers

(Topic created on: 23-06-2021 03:36 PM)
mjustiniano
Pioneer
Options

Hi, I have the Samsung HW-Q950T soundbar / surround sound system.

I play music from my iPhone via Spotify Connect.

I would like to have sound output from the rear speakers to fill the room with more sound.

I try to active Surround Sound Mode, but there is now sound from the rear speakers, only the front soundbar.

No other sound mode works either for that matter (Standard, Game, Adaptive Sound).

The rear speakers work 100 % when watching content with a surround output (for example Netflix with Dolby Atmos or Digital etc.).

How can I force sound from the rear speakers?

If forced surround is not supported, then I hereby ask for you to implement it.

Even my 20 year old system at my cabin can do this 😛

Thanks!

IMG_8077.PNG

13 REPLIES 13
Mrsubject
Explorer
Options

Hi,

Unfortunately it is a well known functionality gap also valid for previous samsung soundbar models. I really do not know why samsung is not offering such an functionality which should be easy to implement. I do not expect that samsung will work on it. Therefore you are right. Even a cheap 5.1 system would be better for music than those flagship soundbars. 

monkey42
Student
Options

Actually hw-q950t already has this feature as long as you select a mode other than "Standard". It should upscale to all channels including the rear speakers.

Unfortunately though I have the same problem from time to time with mine. The rear speakers are not being utilized in adaptive/surround/game modes when using Spotify Connect. This is a bug/defect I believe and it is mitigated for a while after I unplug everything and re-plug them. Then the problem appears again latest in a couple of days. In the first couple of months after purchase this was much better. Maybe a software update ruined the Soundbar 😕

Also I suggest using the Standard mode when this happens, because the soundbard "thinks" that the rear speakers are playing music, and does not play some frequencies itself. This leads to the removal of e.g. some instruments from the track when in a mode other than Standard.

I suggest contacting customer support, as I will do so, but doubt anything will come out of it soon.

@Samsung: if anyone is reading this, please notice and focus on this issue...

mjustiniano
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for a good answer and a great explanation! 😊👍🏼

Samsung, please fix this bug. It is embarassing and disappointing that my 15 year old Bose system works better than my brand new Samsung system.

0 Likes
Bassem
Explorer
Options

You can use Voicemter to get surround audio from all speakers (7.1). But this method requires a Pc or laptop. If you want to try it out you simply just have to download Voicemter and once installed you just have to click on stereo repeat, then you will sound from all speakers thats my workaround for it. I also use my old sonos system (Beam+one sl) at same time with the Q950t. Realy impressive how load they can get. I thing my neighbors hate me for that 😅

mjustiniano
Pioneer
Options

Thanks. Are you referring to VB-Audio VoiceMeeter? It looks like it's only for Windows, not Mac, which I use.

How do you use your Sonos system parallel with your Samsung system? Is this also through VoiceMeeter?

I just don't get why we can't select it. I've been able to do so on all my previous surround systems.

0 Likes
mjustiniano
Pioneer
Options

Agreed, thanks for your comments! 😀

0 Likes
Duchhart
First Poster
Options

I have the same issue when using spotify connect on my iphone.

To me it seems the spotify connect integration on iphone when using a wifi connection is faulty and causing this issue.

Spotify over wifi fails to engage all speakers

When I use the spotify connect function via wifi on my iphone I cannot use the surround speakers. Only the standard soundmode works as intended.

However when I use the Spotify app on my TV (connected via hdmi) the rear speakers do engage (all speakers are now firing) and I can switch between all sound modes. Surround, game and adaptive sound modes all use the rears now.

If I now switch to spotify connect (same sesion) on my iphone the rear speakers keep working.

So try this workaround:

• start your session on smart tv app
  • switch to one of the surround modes
  • switch to iphone app (using wifi)
  • All sound modes seem to work on the app and three of them now engage rear speakers.

Bluetooth always seems to work

Whenever I use spotify via bluetooth the sound modes work as intended without the tv workaround.

It’s a really strange bug that seems to be related to software rather than the hardware if you ask me.

I hope the above helps and that samsung fixes their iphone app integration.

mjustiniano
Pioneer
Options

Hi Duchhart!

Thanks for your great workaround suggestion, I’ll try it out 😊

Michael

0 Likes
mjustiniano
Pioneer
Options

Hi, I finally checked this out. Didn’t work 🤦🏻‍♂️ I downloaded the Spotify app on my TV. Tried to play using the Surround sound mode. No sound from the rear speakers… Will try with Bluetooth as well, although that’s not my preferred connection mode.

0 Likes