Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q950T multichannel LPCM support not present

(Topic created on: 18-10-2020 10:35 AM)
danisan
Journeyman
Options

Hello everybody,

It seems like there is no full support for 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM audio on ports HDM1 and HDM2 on the HW-Q950T sound bar. Some people report that multichannel PCM is also not working fine via eARC, but I couldn't try this myself.

For sure, it looks like the EDID reported by the soundbar is only stereo 2.0 for PCM sources.

Is it possible to fix this and add multichannel PCM support to the HW-Q950T? HW-Q90R is perfectly compatible with multichannel PCM.

13 REPLIES 13
PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options

The soundbar does not support multi-channel PCM from any port, either via eARC or directly. This still stands even after the 1017.5 update.

This also means that you cannot play any video game using Atmos unless you transcode somewhere in the chain, as games use Dolby MAT which is metadata over multi-channel PCM. Previous soundbars were working perfectly.

PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options

And, per the usual, no response from Samsung at all.

danisan
Journeyman
Options

Can please someone from Samsung acknowledge the issue? Not knowing if they're even aware of this is quite baffling.

PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options

They will not here. This is an echo chamber where no help is offered at all. They acknowledged it in my communication with Samsung Support in Germany, but only said they would report the issue to "HQ". Please please, contact your normal support. Don't expect anything from posting in here.

GeorgePrice
Student
Options

This is so disappointing. The Q70R was fantastic and I was so looking forward to getting this up and running. Now I feel robbed. Why on earth would you remove this feature in such an expensive bar?? 

Anyone reading this planning to use it on consoles, DO NOT BUY until Samsung have issued a fix as any games that only put out 7.1 rathe than Atmos will not work and you'll be left with stereo.

RobaloAmigo
Explorer
Options

People, just go straight forward to Samsung Support. I already did. For now, same answer as always - they would report the issue to "HQ".

Yushiro
Explorer
Options

I tried to post on the spanish samsungs forum triying to explain the situation and they reyect it.

I think they traying to hide the problem to be honest, so they can still selling it.

RobaloAmigo
Explorer
Options

I've posted on polish support forum - no answer from support at all.

Haiko1
Pioneer
Options

Same in Germany. I asked via Mail Samsung support and no response to my answer.

It's ridiculous that Samsung has not implemented LPCM support (2019 Samsung soundbar, like HW-Q90R, did support this

) and the new 2020 models does do this.

Why can't Samsung not fix this, like Sonos did via Firmware update?