Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q90R Soundbars Low subwoofer with 1012.6 Firmware

(Topic created on: 28-04-2021 09:18 AM)
next6000
Explorer
Options

Hi Guys,
the bass on the subwoofer has significantly dialed down when playing any content, from stereo to 5.1 to atmos, you don't feel the typical home theatre effect. I also did soundbar sound test and subwoofer is really low, are you experiencing the same issue? (sub level is on +6) I specify that I don't like to have subwoofer too loud, but in my case is extremely too low.

thank you

59 REPLIES 59
AVQw1k
Journeyman
Options

I agree with the noticable lack of woofer punch since the 1012.6 update. Yes the rears, and Soundbar have significantly louder/clarity by widening the range, but it almost seems that the subwoofer range was widened as well (causing the dreaded hollow bass effect) and it shouldn't have been. If anything, to balance the new sound they should have tweaked the subwoofer frequency to deepen the bass. 

At first I thought because the fronts/rears were louder, it overshadowed the bass. That was not the case, the subwoofer is not as powerful or punching that bass like it did before.  A firmware hotfix for the subwoofer would be great.

AVQw1k
Journeyman
Options

Hi, USA version has the same subwoofer issue after updating to the 1012.6 firmware. The Q70R suffers from this as well.

After daily messages, and tweets to @SamsungService with screenshots of our complaints... (screenshots from pretty much across the board, US, Canada, UK...all having this bug) loaded their page up daily; they finally responded yesterday. There maybe some light at the end of the tunnel! They said they have forwarded our issue to the engineers.

pepsinio
Pioneer
Options

Fingers crossed

Levstyle
Pioneer
Options

What marvellous news!

pepsinio
Pioneer
Options

I think i found a workaround. Using 5.1 upscaling from nvidia shield improves drastically the situation although then the bass actually becomes way too strong and deep. Perhaps any non 2.0 input disables this horrible eq setting?

0 Likes
AVQw1k
Journeyman
Options

Interesting work around. I'm in the USA, spoke to 3 techs. The first two were useless. My third call, I again, told the tech support about this dreadful 1012.6 update and what issues it caused... weak Subwoofer bass, speakers crackling on DTS-X/Atmos media. Told the tech I was out of warranty, everything worked fine before the firmware update, and these new issues were not my fault, and this expensive Soundbar is now useless for playing media. Told him, my Soundbar needs a diagnostic. I refused to take no for an answer. Tech listened and understood, he also said "from what I described, it sounds like a frequency change in the subwoofer". He issued a "One time courtesy repair". Received my Soundbar back within a week.

So... They didn't address the firmware issue on the repair invoice..and only the new parts they replaced was listed on the invoice.  (mind you, I'm out of warranty) but they replaced the main board with a new one, and they replaced the Soundbar housing (it was dented at the time of purchase) all free of charge! Basically I have a new Soundbar, on Firmware 1010.5  With the lack of details on the invoice, it's unclear if the firmware damaged something on my device, or my board was already faulty. However, the subwoofer no bass after the latest firmware, isn't an isolated issue, and everything is tied to the main board. But... not everyone has this Subwoofer issue (allegedly).   I will never know what the diagnosis was. What I do know......I will Not be updating for quite some time. I appreciate that technician, and am grateful for his assistance. 

Moral of this story is - stand your ground. 

0 Likes
TurkAngora
Journeyman
Options

Well done! Glad you received some kind of resolution. Presumably the fix and/or lack of 1012.6 firmware has revived your subwoofer? Unfortunately this solution seems to be a bit of a hassle and possibly not feasible for everyone in terms of finding a willing technician and shipping the unit back. Therefore I am planning on moving forward to Sonos and eventually to LG television.

0 Likes
AVQw1k
Journeyman
Options

Yes, I feel and understand the mass frustration. Getting a proper tech on the line is like reaching into a grab bag lol.  I got lucky it was the 3rd call and not the 30th. With their customer support in general

~~~~~ I call Shenanigans...Get a broom!~~~~

I'm fairly positive that a fix for their massive FU will raise at some point. I do enjoy Samsung, but If I decide to invest in another Soundbar down the road, I may look into the Nakamishi Shockwafe Ultra 9.2ch, which also supports 2 Subwoofers. I've heard good things about Sonos as well.

0 Likes
Pipes
Pioneer
Options

That's fantastic that you stood your ground I have been so disappointed with this Soundbar that the future is predictable and I can foresee that it will fault again no need to keep a unit that I can Bank on that will be giving me more issues in the future I have completely lost faith in Samsung's products as their stoves washing machines and other units and devices that they should not put their hands on leave it to the professionals like Kenwood and whirlpool and GE Samsung needs to stop getting involved with that side of business stick to your TVs and cell phones as they need more attention as of lately as Jerry Maguire would say fewer clients more attention I have decided to scrap the hunk of garbage of the Q90 soundbar and get myself the Vizio SB 46 51.4- F6. This sound bar is much better tuned better the sub frequency I've gotten down to 25 Hertz in the right position this sound bar has the same width so the separation is the same. Side speakers are not missed as the Q90 have them I paid 425 for this soundbar and that to me is what these should be worth in all sound bars I have done extensive research on all of them and I believe the JBL 9.1 is excellent I would go with the Sonos Arc if you could afford all of the extras otherwise the Soundbar itself is garbage I would definitely go with Vizio as they are in contention with the flagship brands people think of Vizio as a up-and-coming company keep in mind keep  Samsung  have built a name that they now no longer need to issue excellent parts to have their unit come out every single year and I stress this to be a problem why do we need to keep on improving a unit every year you should mention  that it will be replaced in a year people like to have a unit that is future proof these companies don't care just want to flush their technology your way and smoke and mirror you with the newest feature it's coming to a point that there is no point in buying something because the new version will be out next year if it keeps going this way no one will buy anything because it makes people feel like they have just purchased something old so those who have fixed their q90r Soundbar has and have fought for that excellent good for you but keep in mind the soundbar is not built to last.

0 Likes
AVQw1k
Journeyman
Options

Nothing electronic is  bork proof. Things break LOL

0 Likes