Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-Q90R How to have sound through optical and picture throught HDMI

(Topic created on: 22-01-2020 08:42 PM)
jobean
Navigator
Options

Hi,

I just bought an optical cable so the sound from my PS4 goes straight to my soundbar. The picture goes to  the HDMI 2.1 port on my LG C9. Only problem is I can not choose the optical port as a source on my soundbar. I set sound output to optical on my PS4 but for some strange reason the sound still goes through HDMI...???

Am I doing something wrong here?

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1
MrTest
Explorer
Options

I have changed to this format in light of the audio delay issues through ARC (and lack of implementation of eARC).

I have a Q80 TV and HWQ80 soundbar. HDMI to TV (for video) and then separate optipcal cable from PS4 to the soundbar.

On the PS4, change the primary audio to be sent down optical. When you do this however it still sends audio down HDMI, but in stereo format only. This means you have to effectively turn down the volume of the audio on the TV and then control volume separately on the soundbar.

The other thing I had to change was to disable the Anynet / CEC HDMI ARC setting on the TV (not sure what this would be in your case). By having this on I found the TV effectively controls the soundbar preventing you being able to change the inputs on the soundbar to 'digital in' directly.

The annoyance with this is that I'm effectively disabling ARC so if I want to use any of the TV apps to push sound to the soundbar through ARC I need to re-enable CEC.

Anyway, hope this helps.

0 Likes