Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-N850 Won't Pair with SmartThings

(Topic created on: 19-10-2018 10:22 AM)
Enverex
Explorer
Options

This soundbar refuses to pair with my network via WiFi. I downloaded the app (which requires far more permissions that is acceptable, btw) and tried to pair it. It gets to 44% and then fails saying that "Couldn't add device. The device isn't responding". I've tried several times, I've even tried on both my 2.4Ghz and 5.2Ghz networks, same result.

It shouldn't be a "weird password" issue; My WiFi password is only 9 characters long at the moment which is 1 more character than the absolute minimum, so that's not going to be the cause, it's also only letters.

I've reinstalled the app. I've also just installed the firmware update that appeared the other day (although it had no changelog so no ideas what that changed) but that hasn't helped.

Any ideas what may be the issue?

63 REPLIES 63
Enverex
Explorer
Options

You've described the exact same issue Nikke, the only difference is that the app doesn't crash for me. I've basically given up because Samsung never got back to me.

It's annoying paying this much for a sound bar and then it just not working properly.

Nikke
Journeyman
Options

@Enverex: Do you also use iPhone?

@AntS: Thanks for your effort, let's hope we hear something! I apparently tripled my former message when trying to use @mentioning, can you delete those obsolote 2 messages?

0 Likes
Enverex
Explorer
Options

Nope, I'm using a OnePlus 2 (Android).

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Nikke: Sorted those extra messages for you.

To you and @Enverex: have you cleared the cache and data from the app to clear any residual data that might be there from the previous install? (Unsure how to do that for non-Samsung devices.)

0 Likes
Enverex
Explorer
Options

I'd never used the app before getting the soundbar. But I had already tried killing the process, clearing all data, reinstalling the app, etc. No change in behaviour.

0 Likes
AntS
Options

No worries, @Enverex:thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Any joy with logging out and logging back in to your Samsung account it's associated with? (The SmartThings app and the Samsung account are linked, so sometimes that step can solve SmartThings app-related stuff.)

0 Likes
Nikke
Journeyman
Options

I did all this: re-installed the app, logged in and out, no effect. Then I reseted my soundbar in two ways:

1) Soundbar on and disconnected from every device and cables (except power): By holding + and - (volume up and volume down) on the soundbar for about 5 seconds. This got SmartThings pairing to the point where it and the soundbar leds instructed me to press - (volume down). I tried this multiple times, no luck by pressing it on the remote nor on soundbar. Got stuck to 33% and still got the same error message as before.

2)  Soundbar on and disconnected from every device and cables (except power): I pressed the cogwheel (Sound Control) on the remote for about 20 seconds, during this the soundbar reseted and showed different version numbers (firmware etc.) After this the situation is the same as it was before my first reset as described in my first post.

0 Likes
Nikke
Journeyman
Options

Today I tried with my Apple iPad Air (iOS 12.0.1, same as in my iPhone 8). And it worked: after pressing - (volume down) as the app and soundbar instructed, I was able to connect the soundbar to wifi via SmartThings and then it registered soundbar to my account. Registration failed on the first time, the second time it succeeded. I'm quite confused why it was possible with the tablet and not the phone, both being Apple and having the same iOS version. All I did was that I disconnected power cable from the soundbar for a minute before trying to connect but I doubt it had anything to do with this since SmartThings still doesn't work with iPhone.

I guess the only option for others is to try different devices unless someone finds an actual solution.

0 Likes
SpeedyNZ
First Poster
Options
Exactly the same problem
0 Likes
MrTugBoat87
Journeyman
Options

Salem problem here. Got the soundbar on Wednesday and cannot connect jt to the smarts things and the customer support is poor.

Also, I really need just some confirmation here as Samsung Support has told me both yes and no.

I have a MU8000 and a N850 with Dolby Atmos Soundbar.  I have the soundbar connected to the TV via ARC and my Xbox, Ps4 and Sky Q box connected directly to the TV.

Will this support Dolby Atmos or does the devices need to be connected to the soundbar directly? Samsung have said it doesnt but i am not sure.

0 Likes