Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-MS650 Soundbar stuck in D.IN

(Topic created on: 18-08-2022 03:21 PM)
Members_Q5VCXfp
Student
Options

I started switching power off at mains to save on Electricity and my HW-MS650 Soundbar is now permanently stuck in D.IN mode. 

Samsung Tech Support have been useless and made me waste time downloading an update to a USB only to then find there is no USB port.  In any case the soundbar was up to date with software because it auto updates (per manual).  In the end I have been told to send it to an approved repairer at my expense which is standard from Samsung when their expensive, poor quality products fail out of warranty. 

The device is not capable of a hard reset due to the fault and trying to trigger one just keeps the display as 'D.IN'.  I have taken it apart and reset all the cables, to no effect. 

I read of an identical fault with the HW-MS550 which had varying solutions (none work for me) but one consumer said theirs was repaired in warranty by replacing a circuit board. 

In a last bid of desperation I have purchased an optical audio cable, seeing as the mode is jammed in D.IN, however i'm not convinced this will work. 

If anyone has had this problem or knows which of the three circuit boards is likely the culprit (and where a replacement can be purchased) please drop me a message.

20220817_184429.jpg20220817_184456.jpg20220817_184904.jpg

As a side note, the Samsung TV I purchased around the same time failed earlier this year and again Samsung didn't want to know about it.  After a lot of battling, the retailer (Currys) accepted it back for  free repair and were unable to fix so issued a part refund (fair use - consumer rights act). 

If anyone is considering a group legal action against Samsung regarding their lack of accountability under consumer rights law, I would again be interested to hear from you.  In this case Samsung were the retailer I purchased from and their sales department think that consumer rights law does not apply to them and have refused a part refund or free repair.   

This infringes my consumer rights under the reasonable person test where it would be expected a product of this price range to have sufficient quality for it to last beyond three years.  A refusal to repair the device or offer a part refund and return of the product would imo be seen as unreasonable by a court. 

17 REPLIES 17
Leon3D
First Poster
Options

Unfortunately I'm in exactly the same boat. out of warranty (4 years old), no solutions worked so far, even went to a electronics store to try the cec method on a LG tv...  after being on the phone with samsung I could send it to samsung service point which in my case was located in a neighboring country! sending it there would cost me 70 euro's just to get it there...  

In any case this sucks, but this is the biggest tech company in the world pretty much, I'm also afraid what a bose or harmen kardon would do in this situation.

Members_Q5VCXfp
Student
Options

Thanks for taking the time to write a reply.  The more people that reply, even if they have no solution creates a body of evidence that can be used to legally challenge consumer rights infringements.  I strongly suspect Samsung do not build their products to last beyond 3 years as part of their business plan to ensure future sales. This will backfire imo because many customers are getting wise to it and boycotting their products. If I buy electronic goods I'd always be disappointed if they failed less than 5 years after purchase. Companies can calculate a fair use refund even if the product is out of warranty.  This is what Currys did with my Samsung TV that failed after being just short of three years. I returned the TV and got about £150 back (it cost £500). This is what responsible retailers do but sadly Samsung are not a responsible retailer and just want you to buy a replacement or parts to keep the money coming in. 

I've always liked their phones and found them more reliable than Apple but as a matter of principle I'm considering completely boycotting this brand.

More to the point, I have already prevented lots of people from buying Samsung products so it's a false economy for them to not help me and actually be accountable for the rubbish they are selling. 

rouxton
Journeyman
Options

Exact same problem here, same hardware and same root cause I guess (power off issue). Anyway, it's stuck in D-In mode without anything we can do.

I tried to find spare parts, just like you with no luck. My guess is that it's a component failure, I can't see a software issue causing this (but I might be wrong). That being said, we'd need to identify the faulty part, not that easy. But I think it's probably a misconception from the very beginning and that's why they don't want to start the discussion as it could lead to huge impact to them. 

I'd like to say I'm done with Samsung but I invested into rear/bass speakers and it really drives me nuts thinking about throwing these away. 

Let's keep in touch.

Tx

0 Likes
Members_09mgkPd
First Poster
Options

I would just like to add that I have exactly the same issue with my HW-J6500. Hello > D.IN > OFF

Nothing I can do.

0 Likes
rouxton
Journeyman
Options

I received new main board ordered on AliExpress for 68€, it does the trick. It's pretty easy to replace it as long as you're careful. It's recognized as a MS6500 but doesn't change a thing (same hardware, it's the curved version), everything ok.

SA151
Apprentice
Options

Interesting this, I have a 2022 Q800b that is about 6 months old and seems to get stuck with D.IN although HDMI arc is in use. No idea how this can be resolved, if I don’t have much success with Samsung it will be the catalyst to sell up and go with LG I think! 

0 Likes
rouxton
Journeyman
Options

You're still in the warranty period so it should be handled by Samsung. But apparently a global defect in their design. I repair everything so I'm not used to throw things away at the first problem but I recognize it's really annoying 

0 Likes
ZK1
Explorer
Options

Exactly the same thing happened to me about 2-3 years ago now….I posted on here and went through the same process with Samsung for about 3 months - since then covid has happened, my local authorised repair centre has gone bankrupt and my soundbar remains sat in its original box doing pretty much the same as Samsung…FA! I haven’t bought a Samsung product since and have steered everyone I know from doing so - Samsung doesn’t read or acknowledge these things and no one has been able to offer a valid solution to date - last time I spoke to the authorised repairer they said it was likely to be a ‘main board replacement’ if that’s of any use - interested to know how things go and if anyone has a solution.

0 Likes
ZK1
Explorer
Options

Can you post pictures of the part and the repair by any chance? That would be super helpful 🙏🏽 

0 Likes