Did you mean: 

Original topic:

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 07/12/16 14:35)
podavies
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,601 REPLIES 1,601
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Audio & Video
For me volumes match. Only difference is the volume only displays on soundbar when using soundbar control, and when using TV control it displays numbers/symbol on tv screen and volume + and - on the Soundbar.

For record when I set mine up I connected all speakers to wifi, then went into tv sound expert settings, wireless manager, Multiroom link settings and set it up from there.
Ran the sound test and saved. It then asked if I wanted to use the saved set up and then connects perfectly.

Didn't use the app
0 Likes
Madtuts
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

Using HW-K650 and KS8000 with 2 x R1 speakers 

Updated the soundbar and then turned all off at wall socket for 10 mins just to reload all equipment and I can now say it works as I would expect it to via wifi or TV ARC 🙂

I have paired via the app and the TV and works a treat!

a BIG Thankyou to all the effort you have put in to this Robbie, in my eyes you are hero! I don't think this would have got fixed without your help

Ian

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Audio & Video

Thanks Ian appreciated 

Glad your all sorted now as well. :smiling-face: 

0 Likes
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

Just returned home from holidays.

First, Robbie great job! Well done!

Sadly for me nothing has changed. To remind you, I'm on a HW-J650 which is the one year older than the HW-K650. But it does have the same issues. The firmware version has not changed. On the website it is still on 3111.3 from end of march. I tried WiFi with the Fraunhofer files but the sound bleeding is still there. And that's where I stopped 😞

Anything I can do?

Robbie can you send an email to your high-profile contacts at Samsung about this? My setup and the firmware was part of the communication that was passed to them.

Frustrated 😞

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options
Audio & Video

I would try doing an update via the multiroom app as I don't thunk the have updated the firmware on the website. 

0 Likes
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

Tried it. Everything is up-to-date...

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Audio & Video

Hi Angelo,

Sorry to hear it's not resolved for you yet.

Have you tried downloading from site to USB and manually installing to latest update. Here is the link to the one for ours.......... It should work for yours

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/HW-K650/XU/

It is latest version on there. 

If not I can still email samsung if needed

0 Likes
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

I checked the website for my model. But it is the same version I have already installed on my soundbar.

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Audio & Video
0 Likes
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

You mean I should try to install the K-firmware on my J-model soundbar? The speaker configuration is a bit different between these models.

I don't know if that is a good idea. Also I don't know if my soundbar accepts the file.

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Audio & Video
Personally I would give it a go but no pressure :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video
Well, I think I just wait for a Samsung response. Have waited so long already. A few more days (hopefully) won't make a difference.

Don't want to brick my soundbar :face-with-tears-of-joy:
0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Audio & Video

No problem will email now for you. If you pm me your email address I can copy you in if you want

0 Likes
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video
Thank you! PM sent.
0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Audio & Video
No problem. Already sent the email so i have forwarded to you. :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Audio & Video
Hi I have sent you an email

Got a response from head office but they won't deal with your issues through me 😞
0 Likes
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

No worries Rob.

I have sent an email to Kirsty. 

Will let you know how it went.

0 Likes
scott
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

I've done quite a bit of testing and have found to get the very best sound quality out of hw-k650 and 2x radiant 360's is to take the tv out of the equation.

I just don't think my Samsung tv is capable of processing multi channel audio very well.

I am now running an optical cable straight from cable box to soundbar for cable subscription content. I select d.in on soundbar and create surround setup with multiroom app. My cable box outputs DD 5.1 surround sound from optical.

The sound is very good straight from cable box. When tv is involved and select bitstream DD the sound is muffled like it is being reprocessed. If I select bitstream PCM the sound is good but there is bleeding from from front channels to surrounds.

For all other content such as blurays and streaming apps I make the surround setup with my Samsung UHD bluray players multiroom link settings app. The sound from the hw-k650 and 2 x radiant 360's is very good when bluray player makes surround setup. 

I know it is a hassle to have to use multiple remotes but I think it is worth it to get the very best sound quality. Everyone that has heard my audio setup has been impressed with the sound quality. Including a friend who has the latest and greatest Denon DTS X, DOLBY ATMOS receiver and speakers. I am very happy with my hw-k650 and radiant 360 speakers.

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video
Maybe someone can help me.

My set-up:
TV: Samsung SEK-3500U (similar to KS9000); Firmware 1900
Soundbar: HW-K650; Firmware 3113.5
Back Surrounds: 2 x WAM350 (M3's): Firmware 3110.5

TEST 1:
On the TV I set:
HDMI Audio Format (Input) = Bitstream
Audio Format (Output) = PCM
Soundbar and the M3's are connected via Wifi and it shows 5.1
I then play a Netflix Movie (from internal TV source) that has Dolby Digital 5.1.

Result:
The sound is great. But I'm not convinced that it is 5.1. I suspect it is pseudo 5.1

Question:
Am I getting true 5.1? Does PCM output multi-channel 5.1 or only stereo (and hence the soundbar do a pseudo 5.1)?

TEST 2:
On the TV I set:
HDMI Audio Format (Input) = Bitstream
Soundbar and the M3's are connected via Wifi and it shows 5.1
I then play a Netflix Movie (from internal TV source) that has Dolby Digital 5.1.
Change Audio Format (Output) from PCM to Dolby Digital.

Result:
The sound volume is much lower than when it was on PCM, the M3's is hardly in use (very low volume). It does not sound good at all.

Question:
What is the issue here? is this the same issue as all you had with the R1's?

This is absurd, why can't I get 5.1?
0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options
Audio & Video

Hi

Set hdmi to bitstream and audio to Dolby. The TV wont pass 5.1 via PCM. It will only be stereo. I get true 5.1. I have tested using various test files.  

Lee 

0 Likes
dfensom
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

@leelazer wrote:

Hi

Set hdmi to bitstream and audio to Dolby. The TV wont pass 5.1 via PCM. It will only be stereo. I get true 5.1. I have tested using various test files.  

Lee 

Hi Lee,

Does it not also depend somewhat on the source of the audio track?

I have an Apple TV 4. Looking at the Apple TV specs,  it's says that you should make a direct connection to a receiver that supports LPCM. (There is no mention of Bitsteam).

i have the Samsung KS8000 TV. I am not sure if it supports LPCM, if you select PCM?

There are 3 settings for sound from the Apple TV.

1) Best Quality available. 

"Over HDMI, the best quality available setting outputs Dolby Digital 7.1 or 5.1 as uncompressed LPCM".

2) Dolby Digital 5.1

"This setting re-encodes surround sound to Dolby Digital 5.1, which might help if your TV receiver has compatibility issues with multichannel LPCM audio".

3) Stereo

"This setting plays only stereo audio".

I have tried different settings, but seem to get a good result from setting the Apple TV to Dolby Digital and the KS8000 to PCM & Dolby Digital.

i've played some of the Dolby test files and definitely get surround sound.  (If not true surround sound, it's fooling me. It certainly sounds as if sounds are moving behind you).

Are you saying that the PCM setting on the TV isn't compatible with a LPCM output from the Apple TV?

i have tried to find out if the KS8000 is capable of handling a LPCM input, but haven't been able to find anything out, one way or another. Can anyone else confirm this - either yes or no?

i wish it wasn't so complicated 😕

David

0 Likes