Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 27-11-2018 01:41 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Aid7
Apprentice
Options

I’m on latest home hub on mode 1, I’ve had the slow volume issue but not to a point is bugged me. They seem to connect fine and not had drop outs.

Ill try mode 2 and see if I notice a difference.

Ive followed your post from near the beginning and also spent a silly about of time trying to get these speakers working along with many others. 

I wondered what was the last you heard from Samsung? 

Current setup (but same issues as others)

65JU7000 

hw-J650

x2 R6

sky Q (direct to tv as no passthrough UHD)

bitstream and Dolby (including sky) 

been using arc and Wi-fi connections. 

The lip sync issues seem to have been sorted out (I’m not sure what happened)

Im still loosing all the center/voice volume when watching a movie but not convinced I’m getting anything better than Stereo L R. 

What’s the best way to test? 

Will a test video through YouTube app direct from TV work? Has anyone found a good test video I could try.

The rear R6’s have the volume for front R and rear R when tested last time.

I just want the dam thing to work and not have the wife and kids sighing when they see me bring up the sound settings again!!

when I last spoke to Samsung they blamed my soundbar. Since then I bought and then returned 2 newer Samsung soundbars  Either k650 or the model after and this year the hw-ms650. Same issues as everyone else.

can anyone recommend a decent surround setup either wired or wireless for similar price range? 

Are the swa9000 any good? 

Sorry it’s long a lots built up over time!!

thanks again for all the efforts from robbienobs 

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

@Aid7 wrote:

Im still loosing all the center/voice volume when watching a movie but not convinced I’m getting anything better than Stereo L R. 

What’s the best way to test? 

I just want the dam thing to work and not have the wife and kids sighing when they see me bring up the sound settings again!!

If you search back through this thread there is a link to a surround sound file - which you can download to a usb, stick it in your one connect, and it tests the soundbar channels and satellite speakers.

Not just me getting the sighing then....:shocked-face-with-exploding-head:

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Hi Aid7, 

I feel your pain; I was in your position for what felt like years and my issues with the K650 took over most of my spare time at one point. 

I managed to get my issues sorted by bullying Samsung's head office, and even the CEO in the UK and US, and would suggest that if you cannot get it to work to do the same. It was the only way to get them to resolve the firmware issues. 

It obviously makes a big difference if your units are still in their garantee period because you have way more options and weight behind pushing samsung. So I haven't had any further contact as we agreed my issues had been sorted and I would retract the letter of deadlock I issued. 

I see someone has suggested there are files linked to on here already; if I remember right Leelazer had the best one and seemed to be the only one that tested all the channels seperatly. I may still have the file on email so PM me your email address if you want it. 

I've never had a dropout of the centre channel at any point and my issues related to the first firmware updates they did when the K650 came out, so it appears these are a new set of issues. 

I have the following set up;

K650 soundbar

2x R1's

All on WiFi 

K series 65 inch

It may even be worth starting a new thread with your specific model and issues and contacting Samsung as I did by email to head office, but be prepared to spend alot of your time to get this resolved. 

Have you tried to factory reset everything and only use the tv to set up the WiFi? This has solved some issues in the past.

Does the centre channel drop out occur when you just use the soundbar (with same connection methods ie WiFi, hdmi)  

I also remember that when I was speaking with others it seemed people had varying amounts of slightly different issues, and this seemed to be related to the TV model (series) and what wifi they used. As I stated in my previous post this was backed up by my recent failed attempt to swap from the BT home hub to the TP-LINK router. 

If your problems persist I would consider mode 3 on the hub; again this may reduce the over all WiFi performance but may help your issues. It may help in at least confirming its not a WiFi issue so you can concentrate in another direction. 

One last question; are you connecting all your units to the 5ghz only? 

This is by far the best set up for me with home hub on mode 2.

I lied one more; have you tried the optical work around to see if this resolves your issues? 

Only Downside to this is you have to use the soundbar control for volume, but I wasn't affected by this as I use a universal controller. 

The optical workaround (not discovered by me) is well documented on here and was a life save for me when I was trying to get my issues resolved.

Also I think I remember that when you group the speakers in full wifi/multi channel mode the hdmi cable will be ignored by the set up, so sometimes you think you are testing hdmi but your not.

Hope this helps as I used to joke about that I would one day get my issues sorted, but I would be divorced and homeless before I got there! 

0 Likes
Aid7
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for help it’s given me a couple of things to try out il pm my email in case you find the test file. 

Cant believe it had to go that far up in Samsung! All seemed so long ago.

yep done several full resets and set up in each way, which has in the past sorted issues.  Maybe worth doing it again as a starting point (I’m well practiced at it) 

the wifi is def worth a try and not something I’ve changed.

im on 5ghz.

ive not had dropouts as such just very quiet center (at what point would you call it a dropout?)

It all connects pretty good. 

I remember reading about the optical workaround il give it another go. 

Do you use the Wi-fi or hdmi arc? 

Is one out preforming the other? 

(I’ll go with majority vote) 

As my soundbar  is old I’ve not got much weight behind me to battle Samsung like you did (hence my backing for you and the group at the time)

i almost had all the same issues as everyone  on here hence sticking around and not making a new post(I’ve seen this thread mention all over in various group conversations, robbienobs your as good as famous!!) 

I felt id given up my fight with this setup but now it’s back on !!!! 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

No problem and thanks for the kind words. I am sure they still remember me at UK head office! 

It's still makes me laugh when the samsung engineer came out from head office, and I knew more than he did! 

I have sent you the best file for testing as this gives clear channel tests with no bleed. I would run this from a memory stick on tv or network drive on dlna 

I am on full WiFi with no cables at all to tv; I have tv set to bitstream and dolby.

Generally I have the rears on full volume and soundbar on 3; sometimes I will tweak this depending on what I am watching and the source used.

It's not completely perfect but I get full surround sound with good sound quality and am very happy at this point with no drop outs in sound or issues with connection. 

I do remember others having issues with centre channel but never experienced this from memory, only the original muffled sound from the centre (particularly on speach) which was corrected with one of the many firmware updates. This was corrected prior to this for most with the temporary optical solution, but could work as a permanent fix if you use a universal control for volume, or don't mind using the soundbar control for volume.

One question is do you get a uniform result with low centre volume on all sources, or is it worse on any particular source? 

If I can help further just give me a shout. 

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Hi,

I use the 'ChID-BLITS-EBU' file from the Fraunhofer website - which appears to give good results. Is your file something different?

Likewise my system is now fully wireless. Originally I had my BluRay hooked up through my soundbar on passthrough via HDMI Arc. This worked fine if using surround from the TV (with soundbar and 2 x R1s) if say watching Sky/Netflix, but if I selected the surround setup as the option from the BluRay player when  watching a disc the screen would blank, it appeared the system couldn't handle both video via HDMI Arc whilst also providing sound to both soundbar/2 x R1s. Maybe my expectations were/are too high - or I need to 'play' a bit more?

Would love more time to 'experiment' but the family sighs are unbearable - as to all intense purposes the system works...we get picture, we get sound so why bother? Oh how they don't understand......

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Hi Leg2ion, 

No the file is different to Fraunhofer files; I have tried these before but get on better with this one.

I don't have the source only the file as it was found by someone else on the forum. 

I know what you mean; if it ain't broke then don't fix it. I only started tinkering again after trying to swap modems. The results of swapping away from the BT home hub makes me a bit nervous to ever change my fibre supplier! 

0 Likes
Leg2ion
Pathfinder
Options

Any chance you could send me the file? Just to compare of course - here I go - tinkering again.

Takes me back to the 'good old days' of the first PCs, where more time was spent tweaking to squeeze extra FPS out of games rather than actually playing them...

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Of course 

Pm. me your email address and I will send it

Lol I don't mind a bit of tinkering, but I never want to go back to the Samsung fight days. 

0 Likes
Aid7
Apprentice
Options

Soooo......It seems to be kinda working! 

The sound file has helped a lot. Thanks for that.

It just confirms if the sound drops back to stereo like it did today, I just refreshed the connection and then it sorted itself out.

first signs I had are the quiet center volume as it’s being shared between all speakers (which I remember reading some time ago on here) 

robbienobs would the above be caused by the modes on BT hub? I didn’t change it as it all sounded good and no issues with connection(just the soundbar needing a kick up the butt)

Anyone have any thoughts of having R6’s as rear speakers? I know their over kill but got them cheapish. What sort of frequency would be sent to them eg watching a movie

i may downgrade them and make use of them around the house.  

Best it’s ever sounded so thanks for all the help (from everyone’s posts over the last 2yrs!!!)

0 Likes