Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 29-07-2018 07:08 AM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

>I've set the Wireless speaker modes to PCM only if that makes any difference (I read somewhere that was best)

To get real surround you need to set sound output in your TV to Dolby Digital, not PCM. With PCM you're gonna get stereo mixed to fake surround.

>but when I'm streaming Spotify etc I'd prefer them more balanced.

Are you using Samsung Multiroom app? If you want to stream music to both R3's and soundbar it's better to set them as "Group" in multiroom app, not as surround (multi channel). 

When they are in group mode you can adjust volume of each speaker individually.

If your volume in surround mode is too low while watching TV, click on three dots near your surround group in Multiroom app, press configure and put both R3's to +6. You can also do that in TV's sound options if you are using WiFi connection

Anyway, like Bryantay said. R3's as surround are very problematic. I guess Samsung couldn't figure out how to make them work properly, cause all the new soundbars use SWA9000 or SWA 8500 speakers as rears. 

You just plug a small reciever to the back of the soundbar, and they connect directly, without your home's router. Everything works as it should. There's no lag, volume levels are fine, and you can adjust everything via remote, even change sound modes. 

R3's are very nice for music though, i keep mine in "stereo mode" and listen a lot of music through them.

ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

We often use the Spotify app that's built into the TV, does this mean that I would need to go into the multi room app everytime I wish to swap from TV (in surround mode) to music (put it in group mode)?

Either way, on the soundbar it still shows M.Channel.

Them rear speakers you mentioned, doesn't look like they are compatible with my sound bar.

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

If you are listening music via TV app and everything is in surround mode it will sound very different to just grouping the speakers together. In surround mode there's almost no bass on R3s, they are mostly used to create wider soundstage. You can still set them to +6 in multiroom app and the Soundbar to - 6 to get them to play louder (but their sound will still be very thin).

I prefer just using group mode and inbuild Tidal in Multiroom  app. It works just like multi room feature on high end music systems. 

Before introduction of radiant speakers as rears, Samsung had Swa-8000 as rears to their Soundbars. I think they were similar to Swa-9000 and compatible with some J models, but not sure which. It has to be a small USB like port on your bar to connect the wireless dongle if yours is compatible. 

ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

Ok been playing around ALOT with the R3s connected over WiFi to my HWJ7500 soundbar and I think I'm almost in a good place.

Got the surround effect working and on most content it sounds great. No issues with subwoofer, bass in general or volume. All very good.

Though not all content is equal. When trying out Justice League 4K Bluray the effects, voices etc were spot on.

Switching over to Blue Planet 2 4K Bluray once again sound effects were great, but could barely hear David Attenboroughs amazing narrative at all through the center channel.

Rears Rears set at +6 & SB at middle...I tried cranking SB all the way up but nothing changed.

Then upon regular TV viewing, it's almost like been in a fishbowl.

Played some games on PS4 Pro & Xbox X....very impressive.

So I'm abit stumped, as Samsung in there wisdom have removed any Equaliser settings.

I did hit some Spotify too, and that actually sounded very good. Clear etc. I'm no audiophile, but it's certainly ALOT better than just the soundbar 

0 Likes
Bryantay
Explorer
Options

Just a matter of time before you relize that in this configuration your soundbar will sound very tinny and loose all it fullness. 

ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

Yep your right 

Wasn't home last night, wife went to watch TV and all settings lost. Zero audio. 

Was working fine when I left 

Best I could get out of it upon my return was extremely muddy audio out of the soundbar.

Only fix was a full reset of the TV & Speakers.

Samsung products over the past year have been total *****.

Not sure how to go about my surround fix now other than going full Sonos or Bose.

Edit: yep noticed the fullness. Sound bar on its own blows the "surround set" with the R3s.

They are getting sent back.

Any recommendations welcome

https://twitter.com/ToonTonic/status/1024182158112575488?s=19

0 Likes
Monkfish
Journeyman
Options

I remember getting the soundbar at xmas 2016 and excitedly doing research online for the R1s, R3s, or even, hell, the R5s.

Research said that nothing good was really going to come of it, as the soundbar and speakers have diverging firmware, so even if they all were fixed for a while, changes to the firmware of either the soundbar or speaker would mean problems again.

I took the soundbar back and picked up the last Sony BDV-n7200w in the shop and haven't looked back yet. Discrete 5.1 with the rear speakers being wireless to the main front unit. Excellent and recommended.

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

Well the R3s are now boxed back up and set to be returned to Samsung. Nothing but trouble. Another bug I found was if my phone that had the multi room app installed wasn't present, all the settings I arranged went back to standard & this not working as a surround group.

I've purchased the SWA9000s rear speakers to see how I get on with them.  Based upon comments from fine folks in this thread.

Not in much hope though as not listed as compatible with my soundbar (HWJ7500) But you never know.

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

Well the SWA9000S system arrived today and knock me sideways....it's no bloody good.

Has a USB C connection to hook into the soundbar, my unit only has the square type A connections.

I'm starting to think there's just nothing out there for my soundbar to make it surround sound.

So I now have X2 R3s & Swa9000s boxed up to return.

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

Is there a type c to type a adapter?

0 Likes