Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 12-08-2017 04:52 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Alright my MS650 just got an update (weird cause it's saturday) and it can now properly play DTS HD master audio 5.1 test file through TV, but only when connected via HDMI ARC (with wifi it's just fake surround). While I'm pretty sure it's probably not playing a real loseless track and only its regular DTS component hidden inside the stream, but it works and channels are discrete. 

Can't check it for k650 since I now have it on a wall in my bedroom and I don't have HDMI cable long enough to plug it to my ks8000

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

I connected.my k650 hdmi arc and tested dts hd ma speaker assignment and it did not play correctly although did get correct audio from lfe when previously nothing when testing dts through tv.

Put Fantastic Beasts and Where to find them in bluray player because it has both dts hd ma and dolby true hd. Getting discrete multichannel from either track but oddly enough only dts neo 2:5 or pcm is available under tv's expert audio format settings.

Soundbar shows tv arc and multiroom app shows d.in and created surround automatically and can control volume with tv remote.

I am assuming that bluray is playing discrete multichannel because I am not getting any tell tale left or right channel dialogue coming from surrounds.

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

For a 5.1 dts HD to work like it should i have to set DTS in the TV settings. If I set everything the same but use wifi instead of ARC the channels I get fake surround. 

It's kinds annoying that you have to switch from Dolby to DTS in TV settings every time, or else it won't play properly. 

I also noticed that rears are a bit more quiet after the update. MS650 volume doesn't scale linearly with R3s but they used to hit a perfect spot at volume of 50/100 (anything below 40 makes rears too quiet for my kinda big living room) and after that rears become louder then Soundbar and every one step makes huge difference. Now the perfect spot is at around 55/100.

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

I am not getting any option for dts or dolby digital when connected hdmi arc/d.in multichannel whether I toggle bluray audio from dolby true hd or dts hd ma. I have hdmi output set to bitstream and audio format the only options are either dts neo 2:5 or pcm. Not getting sound from surrounds if I select dts neo 2:5. Playing discretely if I select pcm. Again, I am assuming that it is playing discretely because I am not getting any tell tale left or righr channel dialogue coming from surrounds like happens with matrixed multichannel.

If I set up soundbar+2ch wi-fi with tv and play fantastic beasts and where to find them I get dolby digital as an audio format option when I select dolby true hd option from movies audio format options. If I select the movies dts hd ma track I get dts as an option under tv's audio format options but it only plays as matrixed multichannel.

If I setup soundbar+2ch wifi with bluray player only pcm is available under tv's audio format options but the movie plays discretely when either of the movies tracks are selected.

EDIT I had bluray player set to output PCM instead of bitstream unprocessed. Switched to bitstream unprocessed and am getting dolby digital/dts options on tv audio format. Only getting sound from surrounds when pcm for audio format. Not getting left or right channel dialogue from surrounds so assuming that it is playing discretely. Strange I know as you would expect that pcm would be downmixed to stereo through tv. I do know bluray player sends pcm directly to soundbar when it creates soundbar+2ch wifi. Maybe the audio return channel setup allows for some sort of bypass of the tv doing any processing.

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

I am starting to think Samsung hit a home run with this update if indeed hdmi arc/d.in multichannel functionality was it's purpose.

Been testing hdmi arc/d.in multichannel with my cable box and it sounds really good. Previously only able to get just okay surround with cable box via optical cable but it never sounded as good as soundbar+2ch wi-fi from other sources. Was never able to get quality audio with surround setup through tv period.

I suspect this update was primarily for hw-k850 owners. The 850 is the same as 950 without wireless atmos surrounds. Atmos only works with hdmi arc connection and 850 users couldn't get sound from radiant 360 surrounds with hdmi arc connection.

0 Likes
DazzaP
Student
Options

My HDMI-ARC hasn't seemingly worked for a while. Despite having the leading plugged into the HDMI-ARC port of the television it won't allow me to select it as the input on the HW-K650 soundbar... :smileysad:

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

Did you try selecting hdmi hw-k650  in tv's sound settings? Unplug optical cable and select d.in on multiroom app.

0 Likes
DazzaP
Student
Options
will give it a whirl later, thanks!
0 Likes
DazzaP
Student
Options

Tried this, my TV has no option to connect to the speaker via HDMI, only WIFI or Optical, even with the optical cable disconnected.....

I'm back to the optical workaround, which seems to provide just about acceptable levels...

0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

When you connect soundbar to tv hdmi arc you dont see HW-K650(HDMI) as an available speaker in tv sound settings?

Anyway, select d.in on soundbar and it should switch to tv arc.

0 Likes