Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 26-06-2017 01:54 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Peejay84
Navigator
Options
>I would expect the Left Right and Centre channels to all be the same in the way the sub component is handled.
The soundbar has pretty small speakers inside so the amount of bass it can produce will always be limited. Therefore it makes sense that even if no signal is specifically sent to the sub channel in the Dolby Digital stream, the active crossover in the soundbar should route something to the sub to support the sound for all the front channels.

Exactly simon, this is how it should work. On top of that, the center channel sounds to me like it actually undergoes active crossover and the filter just cuts anything below specified frequency, it's just the subwoofer isn't receiving what has been cut from the signal like it should.
0 Likes
RyanM
Pathfinder
Options

@NotSamsung wrote:

@simon_w wrote:

Notsamsung

I would expect the Left Right and Centre channels to all be the same in the way the sub component is handled. 

The soundbar has pretty small speakers inside so the amount of bass it can produce will always be limited. Therefore it makes sense that even if no signal is specifically sent to the sub channel in the Dolby Digital stream, the active crossover in the soundbar should route something to the sub to support the sound for all the front channels. 

I dont expect the same behaviour for the rear channels as the soundbar does not know what frequency range the rears can reproduce (different for R1/R3/R5)

This is a bug then given that it works on the m650 and lacks crossover.

That's on addition to the low volume when using DD. 

How do we log a bug with Samsung? 

Samsung,  are you reading this? 

Samsung claims for the ms650: 'Samsung also reckons its dedicated centre channel improves voice clarity compared with traditional soundbars, as the sound comes from a single unit with no subwoofer to muddy the water.'

I they got it working for the ms650. So why can't they get it working for the k650?

Simon,

You need to explain your claims.  My TV manual differs to your claims.

HDMI Audio Format.

Sets the format of the audio input signal so that it is suitable for the external device connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports.  

Audio Format. 

Selects tbe digital audio output (S/PDIF) format.  The available formats depend on the input source.

Hey @NotSamsung we are indeed. Feedback has been passed to the developers who we liaised with previously on this thread. 

It's very difficult for me to set any expectations at this stage, other than I've passed the comments along and will come back to you personally. Those things I can/will do. 

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Hello Ryan!

I just want to clarify, because it wasn't clearly stated here i think.

The issue is not only related to using Soundbar + 2x R speakers in surround. It also happens with a soundbar alone.

It's also unrelated to the connection used, it even happens when you are playing a multichannel audio file through the Multiroom app. 

Feel free to PM me if you need additional information on the issue and how to reproduce it. 

NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@Peejay84 wrote:

Hello Ryan!

I just want to clarify, because it wasn't clearly stated here i think.

The issue is not only related to using Soundbar + 2x R speakers in surround. It also happens with a soundbar alone.

It's also unrelated to the connection used, it even happens when you are playing a multichannel audio file through the Multiroom app. 

Feel free to PM me if you need additional information on the issue and how to reproduce it. 

How do you know it's not only related to Dolby Digital 5.1 (using Soundbar + 2x M3 speakers in surround)? 

So you have any examples of this?  Would be a 3.1 surround?  I've never head of that.  Can you reproduce it,  do you have a file? 

I also want Samsung to explain the TV settings for HDMI Audio Format and Audio Format - how it works with this soundbar.   Also would be good to know why the Multiroom App does not show what sound format (mono,  stereo, DD5.1,  DTS2.0,  DTS5.1,  etc) is being received and what is being delivered by the k650.  Not showing this is just lazy programming.  Not tomention refusing to add Google Play music and suppirt for Chromecast audio. 

Samsung is great at abandoning products,  experts.   I'm convinced that they know about these issues,  but will refuse to fix it.  They want you to dump (read: create polution) your old k650 to buy a new ms650.  But wait,  the new product also have issues that they'll only fix in the ms650 successor. 

Ironically, that's not what Sonos do.  And Sonos is very successful,  with a working product and superior customer service.

I wonder what Samsung wants out of this;  loyal customers or short term profits with polution?  

This k650 does not work as designed. That's quite embarrassing, we should get a full refund.  

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@RyanM wrote:

@NotSamsung wrote:

@simon_w wrote:

Notsamsung

I would expect the Left Right and Centre channels to all be the same in the way the sub component is handled. 

I dont expect the same behaviour for the rear channels as the soundbar does not know what frequency range the rears can reproduce (different for R1/R3/R5)

This is a bug then given that it works on the m650 and lacks crossover.

That's on addition to the low volume when using DD. 

How do we log a bug with Samsung? 

Samsung,  are you reading this? 

Samsung claims for the ms650: 'Samsung also reckons its dedicated centre channel improves voice clarity compared with traditional soundbars, as the sound comes from a single unit with no subwoofer to muddy the water.'

I they got it working for the ms650. So why can't they get it working for the k650?

Simon,

You need to explain your claims.  My TV manual differs to your claims.

HDMI Audio Format.

Sets the format of the audio input signal so that it is suitable for the external device connected to one of the TV's HDMI ports.  

Audio Format. 

Selects tbe digital audio output (S/PDIF) format.  The available formats depend on the input source.

Hey @NotSamsung we are indeed. Feedback has been passed to the developers who we liaised with previously on this thread. 

It's very difficult for me to set any expectations at this stage, other than I've passed the comments along and will come back to you personally. Those things I can/will do. 

Ryan,

But that's the problem here. Don't you see this? There is no process.

We test and report issues,  yet Samsung has no formal way for its paying customers to log product issues. Not to mention any feedback to the paying customer logging that.  No external process.  

And the fact that you can't even navigate your own internal processes,  means there is none. 

Can you please explain how Samsung is going to refund me for this defective k650?

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@NotSamsung wrote:

We test and report issues,  yet Samsung has no formal way for its paying customers to log product issues. Not to mention any feedback to the paying customer logging that.  No external process.  

My experience of such things (albeit for mobile phones rather than AV) tells me that the engineer visit to Robbienobs’ place yielded valuable info to move the initial 5.1 wireless issue forwards – even if it didn’t appear to be going that way for a time. When I was working for the Mobile Support team, diagnostics carried out by technicians/engineers at Service Centres, along with device Remote Management, helped produce solutions faster and more comprehensively (and likely still do) than front-line (which tends to be mostly first-level troubleshooting/customer info gathering and great at identifying very large trends).

But you’re right in that it’s not a particularly fast or perfect way of reporting issues or bugs. It’s something Samsung has worked on for the mobile side of things with the recent Galaxy Members app (a beefed up version of myGalaxy), where there’s a facility for customers to report stuff, and the info from this passed on to the relevant software people relatively more quickly. Unsure how/if something similar would work for AV products though.

0 Likes
NotSamsung
First Poster
Options

@AntS wrote:

@NotSamsung wrote:

My experience of such things (albeit for mobile phones rather than AV) tells me that the engineer visit to Robbienobs’ place yielded valuable info to move the initial 5.1 wireless issue forwards – even if it didn’t appear to be going that way for a time. When I was working for the Mobile Support team, diagnostics carried out by technicians/engineers at Service Centres, along with device Remote Management, helped produce solutions faster and more comprehensively (and likely still do) than front-line (which tends to be mostly first-level troubleshooting/customer info gathering and great at identifying very large trends).

But you’re right in that it’s not a particularly fast or perfect way of reporting issues or bugs. It’s something Samsung has worked on for the mobile side of things with the recent Galaxy Members app (a beefed up version of myGalaxy), where there’s a facility for customers to report stuff, and the info from this passed on to the relevant software people relatively more quickly. Unsure how/if something similar would work for AV products though.

Indeed, it must be easy to admit that there is no process to inform Samsung of their product defects.

Ths irony is that the Samsung engineers knows very well what the defects are, but refuse to fix it.  Either that, or Samsung do not test products. 

How do I get a refund for this defective k650?

0 Likes
RyanM
Pathfinder
Options

@NotSamsung wrote:
Indeed, it must be easy to admit that there is no process to inform Samsung of their product defects.

Ths irony is that the Samsung engineers knows very well what the defects are, but refuse to fix it.  Either that, or Samsung do not test products. 

How do I get a refund for this defective k650?

The Customer Services team would speak to you initially, help troubleshoot the issue and then take corrective action if they're unable to assist any further. This could be looking at an engineer/repair for example. The calls and interactions are logged on a central system which is then passed to the relevant teams. 

The engineers are informed of feedback from customers. We attempt to replicate customer issues which isn't always possible. As @AntS mentioned earlier, there are various teams and channels out there. I think I addressed this before, but we need to do a better job of making those channels more visible. 

You're going to struggle to return the K650 if it's outside of the 30 days. Where did you purchase it from? We would recommend speaking to the retailer and asking if they would accept a return. 

0 Likes
Bryantay
Explorer
Options

Unfortunately returning has never been an option for me because the original Firmware issue (a year ago) started about 30 days after purchase... 3+ months later when it became clear that Samsung wasn't listening to it's customers and it would not be getting fixed any time soon (around the same time the moderators here were telling us there wasn't any issue and it was all in our heads) It was way too late for me to return.

So even though Samsung's hold most of the blame for the reason i'm unable to return it, they have never offered any solutions for the preticoment they've put me in...

Believe me I've tried to return it. The retailer says it's not their problem and directs me to contact Samsung.  Samsung in tern says it's not their problem and directs me to contact the Retailer.

Horrible experience all around. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
AntS
Sorry have to correct you there matey.............to cut an incredibly long story short the samsung engineer visited my home agreed there were faults that needed fixing, then samsung head office basically called me a liar and stated in writing that I basically imagined the whole thing and the engineer didn't agree there were any faults at all! And this was from the head of customer service at samsung UK........ Still no apology issued for this either.

The only reason the rear speaker volume issue was resolved, was after I included some 30 email address of others affected and the issuing of a request for a letter of deadlock from Samsung, to be referred to an ombudsmen within 14 days of issue.

So not sure why you have included the engineers visit to my house as an example of how well your procedures work!

We where told point blankly following his visit that the Soundbar was operating to Samsung's expectations............ Not as per Samsung's quality statement that states you will "exceed customer expectations" .

To all....... The 30 day refund thing is hogwash. Doesn't apply as samsung have to either repair or replace the unit with a working item, and if they cannot do this they have to issue a full refund.
If they cannot agree to do this and try to deny the faults, you can request a letter of deadlock from Samsung, with the proviso that if you do not receive a letter of deadlock in 14 days from the date of request, you will go to an ombudsmen with the evidence you have and they can force samsung to issue a full refund.

If your not happy I would go straight to a letter of deadlock as this issue you face is continuing from all the original firmware issues, and there is ample evidence to show samsung have had more than enough time to to fix the firmware or admit it's incapable of operating to advertised specifications.
0 Likes