Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 27-04-2017 10:02 AM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

All it stated before in the details is that all the devices must be connected to the same WiFi. And that Internet connection is required interestingly

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Screenshot_20161213-125446.png

See the note at the bottom. This was taken in December last year

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options

@Robbienobs wrote:
Hi Nick
I commented on this a while back that Samsung have changed the way they advertise the surround capability of the system online...........bit crafty if you ask me.

I just so happen to have a screen shot of the old description from some months ago

I was thinking maybe the fix isn't as easy as first thought..........but then reminded myself it worked fine out the box before they started playing with the firmware.

Crafty is putting it mildly.  The note at the bottom of the page I reffered to is an admission that WiFi 5.1 is not supported, it seems to me.

0 Likes
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

>When I use that fraunhofer 5.1 test the rears do come on when fronts are playing

Well that's a clear indication that you are not getting a real surround. 

Does it also happen when you set Bitstream>>dolby digital? 

>When I select bitstream dd when cable box is source it sounds muffled like there is something missing or a

compressed version of dolby digital

Bitstream shouldn't make it sound "compressed". Does it happen only with voices or other sound effects? 

If it's voice only, it's because for some reason (might be another bug, might be intended) the center channel (that plays voice of the characters on screen in dolby 5.1) isn't getting reinforced by a subwoofer in the lower frequencies, and because of that male voices sound like "something is missing" sometimes. 

If you aren't getting a real 5.1 surround, center channel will be silent and voices will play from left/right, and they will sound "fuller". 

Generally the best way of telling if you are really receiving Dolby signal from your cable box is to listen to the center speakers of your soundbar. If they are playing the voice, you are receiving dolby signal. 

0 Likes
GliMM
Journeyman
Options

The Swedish website still states that this system (K660 (K650)) could be used together with extra speakers to achieve 'True Wireless Surround' No cables required!

http://www.samsung.com/se/audio-video/soundbar-k66x/HW-K660XE/ 

The model K660 is the same as K650, only different names depending on region of sale, according to my support contact.

ie downloading the manual from this link gives me the manual for HW-K650.

I have the same issues as everyone else using my UE65KS8005 TV with K660 Soundbar and two R1 Speakers.

I have an open ticket with Samsung first line support and is awaiting response from escalation department.

First line support adviced me to try different router, switch between 5Ghz/2.4Ghz Wifi,

Noticed that 5Ghz only works if using channel 36 to 48, if outside this span the tv will identify the speakers but will not succeed in complete the connection.

But their suggestions could not resolve anything so far.

Using optical cable is not a good workaround for me, the remote control will not enable control of volume, and the Universal Remote solution only works for some inputs sources.

Im not too happy to use the K650/660 remote control only for volume control.

Also the Spotify app will only deliver sound if i use PCM as sound format on the TV.

I have found that the link above gives me a older firmware (3108.9), than what I use sine updating through Samsung Multiroom app (I have version 3111.2). 

Perhaps reverting to older firmware could change anything, but i need a USB to microUSB adapter to try this, will report back the results if i try and revert.

abob36
Pioneer
Options
Good info about the 5GHz! I will do some testing, as I was never able to get it to work on my 5GHz range and I know I am using the upper channels.

Let me know how the firmware downgrade goes, although I believe that 3108.9 is not old enough to get it back when it was working properly.
0 Likes
scott
Explorer
Options

Im playing dr strange bluray and am getting surround. Have to select pcm from bluray player audio settings and bitstream pcm on tv audio settings.

If I select unprocessed bitstream from bluray audio settings then the tv/soundbar is forced to decode the audio and it of course ends up as 2.0

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Hi Abob, 

I have tried this before and split my router to 5 and 2.4 and went through a test procedure with all the kit on each one. 

Made no difference for me. Even bought a Samsung hub and connected everything to that, which then connects to the router through a LAN lead, which rules out the wifi issues and still no joy. I still have the hub now and try it every time we have an update just in case a miracle has occurred at Samsung. 

And from memory even with automatic updates turned off it still forces upgrade to latest firmware; I was going to try using the Samsung hub without connecting it to the router but never got round to see what effect it had, and too late for me now to prevent update. 

Also when connected to the hub I still have the power off standby issues. 

With regards to the firmware downgrade; I tried this previously and even the Samsung engineer stated this was something even they couldn't do............might save someone some time in trying. 

I would imagine you would need the equivalent of a phone jailbreak to be in with a chance of rolling this back, and even then I think chances are slim. 

I wish one of these phone hackers would buy this kit and fix the firmware............ I bet it wouldn't take long. 

0 Likes
Nick0
Student
Options

@Robbienobs wrote:

Hi Abob, 

I have tried this before and split my router to 5 and 2.4 and went through a test procedure with all the kit on each one. 

Made no difference for me. Even bought a Samsung hub and connected everything to that, which then connects to the router through a LAN lead, which rules out the wifi issues and still no joy. I still have the hub now and try it every time we have an update just in case a miracle has occurred at Samsung. 

And from memory even with automatic updates turned off it still forces upgrade to latest firmware; I was going to try using the Samsung hub without connecting it to the router but never got round to see what effect it had, and too late for me now to prevent update. 

Also when connected to the hub I still have the power off standby issues. 

With regards to the firmware downgrade; I tried this previously and even the Samsung engineer stated this was something even they couldn't do............might save someone some time in trying. 

I would imagine you would need the equivalent of a phone jailbreak to be in with a chance of rolling this back, and even then I think chances are slim. 

I wish one of these phone hackers would buy this kit and fix the firmware............ I bet it wouldn't take long. 

I would suspect that the older firmware update need only be identified in the code as a newer firmware update to overwrite the existing firmware and effect the installation as this code is probably stored in a EPROM chip which is electrically erasable.   Samsung are able to do this .  It is not beyond them even if it requires combining the component code to regain the WIFI function with other fixes they have developed since - it is just their lack of commitment.

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

I used to mess around with different firmware for my old Wd media player. The only thing you had to do to over write the existing firmware was to change the version to a higher number. However, it's not only the firmware for the soundbar. If the newest version of the surrounds firmware doesn't work with the old soundbar firmware it could cause a few problems.  Also there is a risk of bricking the soundbar if it went wrong.  

Lee 

0 Likes