Support

Open search

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

Highlighted
Explorer

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,601 REPLIES 1,601
Highlighted

Hello there!

If you want to get a real surround with a good sound levels on rears you need to use Optical Cable. You have to (at least on samsung tv's) unplug HDMI ARC, because having it connected via ARC causes low sound levels on rears even with Optical. 

Some of us report a slight lipsync problems with Optical, i don't really notice it though. Sound quality is good. 

For Dolby files, your TV output should be set to Bitstream ---> Dolby Digital. Make a surround group in the Multiroom app and set source to D.IN. You should be getting distinct 5.1 surround. You can test it with a file i linked few pages back. 

Bear in mind that there's another bug (at least for me). Every time you turn your soundbar off, and turn it again the surround will bug out. Soundbar will do 5.1 to 3.1 downmix (like it normally does without rear speakers) and also output the signal to rears, so you will  hear rear channels in soundbar's L/R. 

Disbanding the surround group in Multiroom app and making it again fixes the issue. 

For DTS files Bitstream ---> DTS. Yes it only supports DTS 2.0, so if everything is set correctly you will only get stereo sound (other channels should be silent). If they aren't your TV is probably sending PCM signal and the channels are duplicating. 

You should be able to listen to music, just change Source in Multiroom app to Bluetooth. Changing the source doesn't cause any issues for me, only turning the soundbar off.

Highlighted
Just want to echo what Peejay is saying, bugs and all.

You do not, however need to unplug the HDMI cable. From page 9 of the manual:
Press and hold the > button for about 5 seconds to turn the Anynet+ function
on or off. The Anynet+ function lets you control the Soundbar with the remote from an Anynet+ compatible Samsung TV.
The Soundbar must be connected to the TV via an HDMI cable.
Highlighted
Alright, i've checked and you can't set the source to Bluetooth when in surround mode. But you can still use the Multiroom app to play music directly from your phone or a computer (not sure if there's a Multiroom app for Mac's but there's one for Windows). The app even let's you play music from DLNA sources like NAS!

Also, music in surround mode sounds very different than if you just group the speakers together. It creates virtual surround (center channel will get most of the vocals, rears will get almost no bass), which in my opinion sounds quite nice but you have to sit "in the middle" just like you were watching TV, otherwise it sounds weird.
Highlighted

Oh i didn't try to turn Anynet off, but yeah it should work :smiling-face: My HDMI cable is laying there next to One Connect, waiting for better times when it finally can be used :winking-face:

Observer

Ok, big thanks for the replies!

The bug with turning off seems quite annoying to me. Same goes for BT music streaming.

Are you sure that there is no some quick surround disable/enable button in Multiroom app?

How many clicks/taps you need to perform to make surround again after soundbar reboot (or disbanding surround group)?

As for DTS issue I'm thinking on trying to install "kodi" on TV, and convert DTS to DD "on the fly", since I'm not sure that Samsung will release DTS update for K650.

Highlighted

DTS isnt an issue for me because my cable box everything is DD but it sounds the best bitstream pcm.

My bluray player can decode DTS 5.1 and as long as I set hdmi audio to PCM I get DTS surround. PCM tells the tv to not decode the audio--that it should pass through. 

Im not using the optical cable work around. My system is working fine in wifi mode. Dont ask me why, it just started working.

Highlighted

Hi All

As far as I am aware the soundbar does not accept PCM multichannel audio. Only stereo PCM that it then converts to fake surround. I have tried to get it to accept multichannel several times via Hdmi with no success. 

Lee. 

Highlighted

It's not even a Soundbar issue Lee, you can't send multichannel PCM via ARC or optical. Not enough bandwidth, it will just pass as stereo, and then Soundbar will make "fake" surround out of it. 

PCM should only be used in Blu-ray - - - - >AV reciever---->video pass through to TV setups. 

Highlighted
Hi peejay

I have tried PCM direct to the soundbar but it can't handle it. You get no centre channel at all and the other channels seem really messed up. Also doesn't mention being able to accept PCM in the jargon. Shame really.

Lee.
Highlighted
Oh, so it won't even accept a proper multichannel PCM directly from a bluray(I don't have one right now to test)? Kinda sucks, but I guess you only really need it for Atmos, Dolby True HD, and DTSx which aren't supported by K650 anyway
Top Liked Authors