Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 07-04-2017 09:08 AM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

I have added a couple of things below in italics but basically agree with everything in the digest - nice work abob36:

Wi-Fi Multi-Channel

What works

• Connects through TV or Multiroom app and stays connected after power down
  • Volume control via TV remote
  • Minimal audio sync issues
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding

What doesn't work

• Radiant (rear speaker) volume inconsistent and not level\balanced with soundbar ie. ie. rear channel too low and cannot be fully remedied even with +6 on rear and -6 on soundbar.  Test measurements suggest this offset is approx 34dB with the soundbar and Radiant offets at zero.
  • When adjusting volume on Raidant before grouping, they are loud and stay loud in surround group UNTIL volume is adjusted (either on the speaker directly or via the remote) at which point the Radiant volume becomes inaudible (appears to be default)
  • When soundbar level set to -6 and Radiant set to +6, rear channel still too low in volume by approx 20dB
  • When system is powered on after being powered off, levels indicate -6 (soundbar) and +6 (Radiant) however level needs to be re-adjusted (within TV or Multiroom app) to actually reflect the indicated levels. These levels are not saved after power down despite indicating as such. Radiant volume level defaults to inaudible level. (I havent observed ths...)
  • Sometimes rear channels bleed into front speakers. Resolved by ungrouping and re-creating surround group. (I have never observed this...)

HDMI ARC (I did not do a ton of extensive testing on this)

What works

• Connects through Multiroom app (I think TV surround setup is only for Wi-Fi multi channel)
  • Volume control via TV remote
  • Minimal audio sync issues

What doesn't work

• Lose surround group after period of power down and have to recreate it. I had to do it daily.
  • Radiant (rear speaker) volume inconsistent and not level\balanced with soundbar (similar situation to Wi-Fi multi channel) ie. rear channel too low and cannot be fully remedied even with +6 on rear and -6 on soundbar.
  • Sometimes rear channels bleed into front speakers. Resolved by ungrouping and re-creating surround group.
  • Regular and persistent audio drop outs every 10 seconds or so

Unknown to me

• Audio sync/delay status (does it work well? or is it as bad as optical?) - same as WiFi - much better than optical
  • Setting Radiant volume level before grouping in surround and them staying loud until master volume adjusted. - this "fix" doent seem to work with the HDMI-ARC connection
  • If the volume levels (-6 and +6) stay consistent after powering down the system and turning it back on (view last point on Wi-Fi multi channel).

Optical D. In

What works

• Connects through Multiroom app
  • Clear, loud, balanced audio through all 5.1 channels at default (middle) channel levels

What doesn't work

• Lose surround group after period of power down and have to recreate it. I had to do it daily.
  • Volume control via TV remote does not work. Workaround by creating universal remote setup, but that only works for 2 inputs.
  • Severe audio sync/delay issues. Setting of 0 does not remedy. - On some sources the audio is still behind the picture by 5 or more frames even with the Audio Delay setting at 0
  • Sometimes rear channels bleed into front speakers. Resolved by ungrouping and re-creating surround group.

BornInThe50s
First Poster
Options

Great work in gettjng a home visit :smileyhappy:

Not sure if this has been covered, like most I've been using the optical cable work around, with the benifit of auto power on with the TV, but drawback of dual remotes :smileysad:

So, I tried the HDMI-ARC cable and, whoo hoo, a single remote for volume :smileyhappy: But, I loose the auto power on of the bar that comes with using the optical cable. I've tried leaving the optical in as well as the ARC cable, but still no auto power on. Which means, dual remotes again :smileyfrustrated: Did I miss something or is this normal? If it is, could the question be asked about auto power on of the bar via the ARC cable? Probably not achievable? 

Fingers crossed for your visit, & lets hope its the end of the start, and the start of the end.. (I know, based on Winston Churchills famous speech)

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Hi all,
Visit now confirmed for tomorrow. Will get a call with a time I the morning.

From speaking with the guy on the phone he seems to be pretty much up to speed on the issues we have so that a good start.

He has been asked to feed back to samsung head office with findings.

Thanks for the summaries; it makes my life much easier tomorrow and also will make the most from the visit.
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options

Great! Hope that everything will work out.

Small addition to the report: Please tell the technician that next to the HW-K650 also the HW-J650 is affected. This model is one year older.

0 Likes
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options

@BornInThe50s wrote:

Great work in gettjng a home visit :smileyhappy:

Not sure if this has been covered, like most I've been using the optical cable work around, with the benifit of auto power on with the TV, but drawback of dual remotes :smileysad:

So, I tried the HDMI-ARC cable and, whoo hoo, a single remote for volume :smileyhappy: But, I loose the auto power on of the bar that comes with using the optical cable. I've tried leaving the optical in as well as the ARC cable, but still no auto power on. Which means, dual remotes again :smileyfrustrated: Did I miss something or is this normal? If it is, could the question be asked about auto power on of the bar via the ARC cable? Probably not achievable? 

Fingers crossed for your visit, & lets hope its the end of the start, and the start of the end.. (I know, based on Winston Churchills famous speech)

It should work. Do you have HDMI-CEC enabled? On Samsung TV it is called Anynet+. It is enabled by by pressing the Skip Forward button on the remote control for at least 5 seconds. Then check the display of the sound bar. Mabe you have to enable it also on your TV. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Will do
0 Likes
Angelo2002
First Poster
Options

@Robbienobs wrote:
Will do

Thank you! :smiling-face:

I don't know if this is a bug or not. But it would be really nice to be able to switch through the different sound modes (STANDARD, MUSIC, CLEAR VOICE, SPORTS, MOVIE, and NIGHT MODE) when the soundbar and (rear) speakers are grouped to a 5.1 setup. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Hi all, 

Samsung guy is coming at 09:00am UK time so you know. 

I will post results ASAP following his visit. 

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Brilliant. Will look forward to hearing about it. 

Lee

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

Facebook live the event 😀 

0 Likes