Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 06-04-2017 10:13 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
Peejay84
Navigator
Options

Scott, the channels sometimes bug out for me so the rears bleed into fronts. The source doesn't matter, it also happens with soundconnect or when I'm just playing a multichannel audio file from a tablet. The only way to fix it is by disbanding surround group and grouping the speakers again. 

As for the engineer... I really hope it's a real engineer from Samsung audio division. I had a problem with my first ks8000 (it got replaced, motherboard died after 30min ,and it had weird uniformity issues) and the guy who visited me had no idea how the TV even works. He was convinced that ks8000 has FALD backlight. Those TVs are made from 4 "plug and play "replecable parts (screen, speakers, motherboard and power supply) , and he only know how to open it and replace them :winking-face: 

This is the real problem with all those huge corporations. You will never even meet a person who designed the thing or even knows how it works. Everything is outsourced nowadays or they just buy smaller companies and stick Samsung logo on their products. 

The guy who could fix our problem in 30 seconds is probably somewhere in Korea and he has no idea the the problem even exists. 

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

I just tried the trick of ungrounping the rears from the TV menu and turning them up and then re grouping. I can confirm that it dies work on my system but changing the volume then drops the rears back to an inaudible level. To me this means it can definitely be fixed if the problem finds its way to the right person. Fingers crossed. 

Lee 

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

So I confirmed that even though my levels are -6 and +6, Everytime I turn my system on, I have to adjust the levels from -6 and +6 and then back to those levels (just move the slider real quick on the TV levels and it works) and then it has a decently balanced sound. If I don't touch it, the rears are practically inaudible. Do this while playing YouTube or something and it is very apparent.

This does not require ungrouping and adjusting master volume works fine.

0 Likes
0volt
First Poster
Options

Hi All,

here k650 with 2x R6

I noticed small thing when listening to the music from wi fi ( Tunein on line radio ). When going down on volume I get to a point when R6s are 0 but K650 is still 1 or 2 when paired. In general there are different gradients or steps for volume on R6s and SB and its clerly visible ( heard) when adjusting sound manualy on R6 or SB or using Gear s3 smartwatch.

0 Likes
simon_w
Pioneer
Options

@leelazer wrote:

I just tried the trick of ungrounping the rears from the TV menu and turning them up and then re grouping. I can confirm that it dies work on my system but changing the volume then drops the rears back to an inaudible level. To me this means it can definitely be fixed if the problem finds its way to the right person. Fingers crossed. 

Lee 

Also tried this on my system and agree that it works - ish...

Turning the R1s up to full meant that they were much too loud even with the multiroom volume offsets set to mid position.

Any change in the volume remote control drops the rears back to low level but unless I am going mad they werent as low as when I started - sure they are way lower than they should be but I was getting some sense of surround from them where normally they are inaudible.

Absolutely agree that this should be an easy fix - it is going to be one tiny byte of firmware code that is wrong - the trick is finding it !!!

Fingers crossed for Saturday - thinking a live stream from Robs living room might be in order !!!

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Live stream sounds good......... I am feeling the pressure now hehe

I hope this guy is up to speed and has some firmware knowledge, but worst case at least the engineer can confirm directly to samsung that there are still issues to resolve in the real world.
0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Just got this from Samsung

"Thank you Mr H*****, upon my return this morning the appointments for this Saturday had been filled, however I am in contact with the service centre team to confirm if they are able to accommodate the visit as offered. I will return to you as soon as possible to advise"

Not so sure it's happening this Saturday or next now........ Watch this space. 

Maybe the chosen engineer has seen this forum and bailed out! 

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

So I am not sure if it has been clearly documented, but I wanted to create a quick list of our issues with a K650 and Radiant surrounds. Can people quote this and make edits to it so we have it up to date for when the engineer comes on site?

Wi-Fi Multi-Channel

What works

• Connects through TV or Multiroom app and stays connected after power down
  • Volume control via TV remote
  • Minimal audio sync issues
  • Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding

What doesn't work

• Radiant (rear speaker) volume inconsistent and not level\balanced with soundbar ie. ie. rear channel too low and cannot be fully remedied even with +6 on rear and -6 on soundbar.
  • When adjusting volume on Raidant before grouping, they are loud and stay loud in surround group UNTIL volume is adjusted at which point the Radiant volume becomes inaudible (appears to be default)
  • When soundbar level set to -6 and Radiant set to +6, rear channel still too low in volume
  • When system is powered on after being powered off, levels indicate -6 (soundbar) and +6 (Radiant) however level needs to be re-adjusted (within TV or Multiroom app) to actually reflect the indicated levels. These levels are not saved after power down despite indicating as such. Radiant volume level defaults to inaudible level.
  • Sometimes rear channels bleed into front speakers. Resolved by ungrouping and re-creating surround group.

HDMI ARC (I did not do a ton of extensive testing on this)

What works

• Connects through Multiroom app (I think TV surround setup is only for Wi-Fi multi channel)
  • Volume control via TV remote

What doesn't work

• Lose surround group after period of power down and have to recreate it. I had to do it daily.
  • Radiant (rear speaker) volume inconsistent and not level\balanced with soundbar (similar situation to Wi-Fi multi channel) ie. rear channel too low and cannot be fully remedied even with +6 on rear and -6 on soundbar.
  • Sometimes rear channels bleed into front speakers. Resolved by ungrouping and re-creating surround group.

Unknown to me

• Audio sync/delay status (does it work well? or is it as bad as optical?)
  • Setting Radiant volume level before grouping in surround and them staying loud until master volume adjusted.
  • If the volume levels (-6 and +6) stay consistent after powering down the system and turning it back on (view last point on Wi-Fi multi channel).

Optical D. In

What works

• Connects through Multiroom app
  • Clear, loud, balanced audio through all 5.1 channels at default (middle) channel levels

What doesn't work

• Lose surround group after period of power down and have to recreate it. I had to do it daily.
  • Volume control via TV remote does not work. Workaround by creating universal remote setup, but that only works for 2 inputs.
  • Severe audio sync/delay issues. Setting of 0 does not remedy.
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Very well summed up. I agree with all of that. Spot on mate. 

Lee 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Nice work Abob! 

Email from Samsung below; looks like we are all go for tomorrow. 

"Good afternoon Mr H******, I understand that our service centre should be calling you shortly (if they have not done so already) to confirm the visit for this Saturday.

Please let me know if you have any questions prior to or following the visit"

0 Likes