Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 04-03-2017 12:24 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
DazzaP
Student
Options
On the TV set the output to Optical and the input on the soundbar to D.IN. You will not get sound through the TV then.
Certainly when grouped in the app, as a surround system the sound is indeed 5.1, with different sound on all channels. With this the rear volume is fine, in fact I can put up the volume enough to drown out the soundbar.
The only current downsides for me are:
a) having to use the soundbar remote for volume
b) occasionally having to regroup the surround setup in the app

Neither of these are that significant and I believe that Samsung may still fix a) by allowing the same quality of input from HDMI that I'm currently getting via Optical.

Good luck.
0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

With the optical cable I get 5.1 surround sound and loud rear speakers volume. Just not over wifi.

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

I just want to add that on the multiroom app there are two options for grouping. Make sure you use surround grouping. You will then get true 5.1 surround. If you just set up a normal group then the same sound will come out of all the speakers. 

Lee

0 Likes
DreamTallStart
Journeyman
Options

I had been looking forward to hearing sound from my rears using the method described. But unfortunately the work around "frig" did not work for me. 

I believe I have connected everything up as suggested, but unfortunately I have exactly the same result, very low volume from the rears. 

I grouped all 3 speakers, the soundbar and the 2 R1s using the surround sound on the multiroom app. I dropped the rear speakers into their appropriate places via the app. Initially I set the sounbar volume and speakers all at maximum plus 6. 

I run the test from the app and I could hear the speaker test identification loud and clear. 

I then set The TV to optical and set up the sounbar To DIN and connected the optical cable from the connect output to the sounbar. 

Sound was clear from the sounbar and again very low from the rears. If I tried to increase the volume on a rear speaker it simply brought up the volume of the sounbar with no noticeable difference on the rears. I checked the app was still set up for rears on max and sounbar on minimum. 

I then ungrouped all the speakers and set the sound bar to minimum volume and the rears to maximum volume manually. I grouped them all again from the app using surround sound and set it all up again, this time setting the rears to plus 6 and the sounbar to minus 6 from the app. I run the test, "Rear Left"  and "Rear Right" very loud and as expected "Front" could not be heard during the test, so I set the sounbar very low from the remote and did the test again so that I could hardly Hear "Front" so I knew it was working and the Rears were both very loud during the test. 

I connected it all back up to The TV again via the optical and set the sounbar To DIN.... 

Initially no sound out from anything (I checked to see the main speaker via The TV was still set up To Optical out. It was). I had expected loud volume from the rears and nothing from the front. So I slowly increased the volume via the soundbar remote the volume on the sounbar started to rise and the volume on the rears rose very slowly but not inline with the sounbar, before I knew it the sounbar was loud with again virtually no sound from the rears! 

So it would appear that nothing I do gets volume from the rears. 

So I'll now send my email to customer Service UK explaining my problem. I'll see what they say. I'm going to take my R1s and sounbar into my local authorised Samsung repair centre in Edinburgh to see if they can get it to work through their Samsung TV.  

If that still doesn't work I'm going to get The Samsung sales rep in Curry's PCWorld World who sold me the system to connect up his two R1s And Sounbar in the shop to prove it works as he described it to me.... If that still doesn't work.... 

I'm afraid I'll have to admit defeat and return the 65" KS8000  TV, 4K UHD BluRay Player, HW-K 650 Sounbar And R1s as I bought it all as a home theatre package, that's how it was sold to me and I'm sick of the lack of knowledgeable  support I've had from Samsung. I've also spent more than 6 hours on the phone in total to 4 different Samsung trouble shooters in the Philippines to try and set it up and that doesn't include all the other time spent on here and fiddling myself and on the Internet trying to find a solution.... 

Meantime no help from Samsung... No light at the end of the tunnel.... No idea if a firmware update is coming and no one willing to help us. 

My partner thinks I'm mad.... She said... "It isn't working... How much more time are you going to waste on this?  Just take it all back for a refund and buy a system that works"....

I didn't have an answer for her, but neither could I argue with her simple solution! 

0 Likes
DreamTallStart
Journeyman
Options

After a night to think,  I decided to run the same "frig" test this morning and discovered that when I initially group the speakers and run the test I can get the rears to overpower the sounbar if I have set the sounbar volume low (say 1) and the rears to maximum volume manually by tapping the plus volume symbol prior to grouping them.  When I group them using the surround function and I set the sound bar level to - 6 and the rears to +6 and then run the test the rears are identified loud and clear and the sounbar is barely audible. So far so good, but as soon as I click "Done" and then run the test again the volume on my rears have gone and the soundbar is still at the same sound level as before.  If I now increase the sounbar the volume on it rises but not in line with the rears, again the rears become very quickly overpowered by the soundbar. It would appear connecting my sounbar to the rears via the Grouping or sSurround grouping function automatically determines the volume of my rears whenever I Click "Done" in the app no matter what I do. The frig/botch does not work for me, it would appear I have additional problems with my system.  

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

Set up the two rears in stereo in the app. up the sound on both of them to Max. Then break the stereo setup and re create the surround sound.

0 Likes
DreamTallStart
Journeyman
Options

I'm not really seeing how that would work Apprentice.

As soon as I unpair the two R1s from the app and then regroup them including the sounbar using the surround grouping I'd be back in the same position, unless I'm missing something here? 

0 Likes
confusednewbie
Student
Options

Hi Guys, 

Just purchased the HW-K650 along with 2 R1's yesterday to go with my 49ku6500 TV under the seemingly false promise by Samsung that they would all work together as a 5.1 system. I've been reading through the thread (as much as I can as it's now incredibly long) and these are the main points I have managed to pick out:

1. There used to be a problem where by the sound was muffled from the soundbar with seemingly overpowered bass whilst in surround mode but this has now been fixed by a firmware/software update. 

2. Upon fixing this issue there now seems to be a new problem where there is next to no volume coming from the rear speakers in surround mode which some people have managed to fix with connecting the soundbar to the TV via optical cable. 

I am suffering from the second issue listed here, along with many others by the looks of it and this is incredibly frustrating. 

I wasn't actually aware that you could have the soundbar connected to the TV via either optical or HDMI and still get the surrounds working. I thought this could be done via wifi only as I tried via HDMI and could only get sound out of the soundbar. Am I right in now thinking that you should be able to hook the soundbar up to the TV via HDMI and implement surround via the R1's as well but due to software/firmware problems this is not currently possible? 

Im a little confused by it all as I can't seem to find out anywhere if connecting the speakers to the TV via wifi provides proper 5.1, such as Dolby Digital, or just a pseudo surround sound affect, more along the lines of Dolby pro logic. 

I will try the temporary fix via optical suggested at home tonight and see if that helps but I'm hoping you guys could clear up just how this soundbar is supposed to function as I'm now more confused than ever. 

I really like the design/sound and functionality of this speaker system and it sounds amazing when you group it all together and play music through the MultiRoom app. I'm willing to wait to see if Samsung gets their act together and releases an update to fix but their lack of support and the fact these problems exist in the first place is really poor. 

DazzaP
Student
Options

Hi,

On the Samsung page for the soundbar 

http://www.samsung.com/uk/audio-video/soundbar-k65x/HW-K650XU/

it states, that: *Cable connection required from Soundbar to TV to receive 5.1 surround sound

which to me, means that 5.1 cannot be achieved over WiFi.

0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi Dazza

I have noticed that my self and this would be true for anyone who is using this set up for a non Samsung TV. However, our Samsung TV's can send 5.1 over WiFi. I get true 5.1 over WiFi. Just need Samsung to hurry up and fix the volume level for the rear channels. 

Lee