Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 30-12-2016 06:37 AM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
dfensom
First Poster
Options

@BornInThe50s wrote:

Hi All

Like everyone in this thread I'm having the 5.1 issue following the update, the optical route gets the 5.1 working, but has the drawback of having to use a seperate remote for the volume, and the missing 5.1 wirelessly.My system "failed" withi 1 hour of purchasing and setting it up and allowing it to upgrade.

It's been mentioned that Samsung won't admit there's a problem. From a business perspective, they won't, as it'll leave them wide open for litigation. The only way to get them to admit the issue, is by bringing pressure upon them.Without resorting and paying for legal representation, the only real option, is reporting the post update problems to as many consumer programs/magazines etc as posible.  

Personally, I will be sending a link to this thread to the UK Samsung Facebook Support page - they seem to respond to that route quite quickly. I'll be following that up, with a flood of emails to as many Samsung email accounts as I can find, and finally, onto the consumer program route.

With all the bad publicity that Samsung have had recently over the S7 etc, the last thing they need now, is more bad publicity denting their reputation.  

Hi BornInthe50s.

I was wondering if it might be worth while getting a list of people that are effected by this issue?  It might help if we complain as a 'group of people', rather than individually? I am not sure whatr others feel about this? Force in numbers as it where.

David

0 Likes
Monkfish
Journeyman
Options

When it's all working (with its optica caveats) would you recommend it?

I'm trying to decide whether the 3.1 650 goes back, or I splurge on two relatively cheap R1s, and attempt to go 5.1. 

Does adding the R1s change the soundscape substantially so that you'd recommend it?

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

I would never tell anyone to spend any money on Samsung Wireless Speakers..

So dont buy them on what im going to say.

But the R1 perform really well in conjuction with k650 in 5.1 surround mode.

But you have to go through a load of crap to get them to work. and im constantaly having to configure them when i change sources and if i could take mine back i would. but if i sit down and watch a movie or some netflix show they sound great. 

0 Likes
Bryantay
Explorer
Options

If i could return all of mine i would do it in a heartbeat! 

The fact that there is a workaround at all only proves that there IS in fact an issue with the original way that it should work.

The only response so far from Samsung has been to suggest that what we're hearing is subjective but not incorrect.  

As for the sound quality... when the 5.1 is working (using the workaround) it sounds OK but I wouldn't say it's great. 

Let me make this point to Samsung. The workaround in NO WAY is a proper solution. it's cumbersome and inefficient and it is definitely NOT the advertised solution that I paid good money for. This is NOT in any way what YOU claim your product is suppose to be able to do.

In my opinion anyone who is able to return their units should do so immediately. Save yourselves the headaches and go purchase any of the others brands that are available. Samsung's customer service is horrible. The way they have handled this particular issue is inept and how I look at Samsung as a company and it's products will forever be tarnished.  

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

So I was watching a movie tonight using the workaround (optical and Multiroom app). I then decided to try connecting the soundbar to TV via Wi-Fi (as 3.1 first) and using the multiroom app to create the surround group instead of doing it through the TV like I normally did. I may be crazy, but it sounded good. The EQ was fine, but the subwoofer still needed to be turned down some. I admit I had audio a bit down since it was late and everyone was sleeping, but the dialogue was very clear and had no muddiness. After setting the surround group up in the phone, I looked into the TV multiroom settings and it had the R1's listed as surrounds, but again the EQ and volume levels were OK.

Can someone else test this?

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Sounds to me like your just describing the workaround method?

Appologies if I misunderstood your post and this is not the case.

I too would send it all back in a heart beat and wouldn't miss it one bit!
0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options

The workaround is using D.IN on the soundbar and optical from TV and setting up surround group in the app.

What I just did was use Wi-Fi on the soundbar and Wi-Fi/AV from TV and setting up surround group in the app instead of on the TV.

The sound is good and back to one remote - the TV's.

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Ah OK thought I might be missing something.

I will try this later today and let you know......... To be honest I followed the advice on the original workaround post and went straight to D.in for input source, skipping any trial in full WiFi mode.
0 Likes
Monkfish
Journeyman
Options

Well guys, I decided not to put down another £250-300 on the R1s. I no longer own the K650, and now have a Sony BDV-N7200W in the boot of my car. Cheaper overall than a 5.1-enabled k650. 

I bought it knowing there can be speaker distortion issues. However, Sony fixes that issue under warranty. 

I hate to say goodbye hehe, but goodluck, and hopefully Samsung losing an old customer (and his cash) will register somewhere. 

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options
Just tried this as described and doesn't work for me. It's just the same muffled sound experienced before.
Changed tv back to original workaround (optical input) and sound improves again
0 Likes