Support

Open search

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

Highlighted
Explorer

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,601 REPLIES 1,601
Highlighted

My tv doesn't have an optical-out I'm afraid. I assume (hope!!) any optical cable to the soundbar will suffice though, doesn't need the data passthrough'd first, and that you're doing that as your tv is acting as the initial receiver for your multiple sound inputs?

cheers!

(Due to my tv limitations, I've been using a toslink port switch previously. It's not pretty,  but enables multiple optical sources to kinda be directly connected to the soundbar. Doing this at the moment for ps4 and pc sources. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000QRI2EI/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1482962368&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236...)

Highlighted
That will work. If your PC or BD player or what have you has optical out, you can connect that to the soundbar directly. There is an AUX port as well where you can get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug it in that way.
Highlighted

@podavies wrote:

Well the workaround is to use an optical cable in conjunction with the wifi and you will get the decent 5.1 surround but you have to use the soundbar remote to control the volume. No one here thinks Samsung will fix the issue. I'm living with it as the sound is good now just have to use multiple remotes.

I realise there's a temporary work around (even though it doesn't work too well for me). However, as I brought all this kit to 'actually do what it says it will do', it would be nice if Samsung acknowledged there was an issue?  I'd be more willing to keep it if I knew there was a fix in the pipeline. If there's no confirmation within the next couple of weeks, I think I will take it all back to the shop... Not really impressed Samsung.

Highlighted

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm trying to work out whether it needs taken back to the shop too...

The 550 afterall is pretty much the same, with costs for 5.1 being substantially smaller...

I was going to get the 5.1 5550w during black friday sales (now it's bit more expensive...). Possibly a better solution if looking for a samsung option ... no HDMI input though, so you're reliant on optical-in only, and no Multiroom.  Seems like a better solution to ease-of-use 5.1...

Highlighted

This is all a big shame if you ask me as originally 5.1 worked on wifi only straight out the box............ Samsung broke it with a firmware update so surely it's an easy fix if they just admitted there is a problem in the first place, and fix the firmware issues. 

I have been speaking with their senior customer services team and they have the opinion that this workaround with an optical lead has fixed the issue and requires not further action, and from the email I have received this is not going to be fixed any time soon!!

I think at this point if your happy to live with the workaround and an extra control it's not so bad (not very loud but sound quality is better) , but for me this is not what's written on the box or online, and I have asked for my money back but I am yet to receive a response from Samsung! 

Highlighted

I am also very very tempted to contact the BBC's Watchdog team online and report these issues; I have done this before a few years ago and had a very good response from the retailer after the problems were reported on mainstream TV! 

Might just be the nudge they need. 

Still also my intention to visit their head office next week in Chertsey............ To make my point if anything. 

Highlighted

@Robbienobs wrote:

This is all a big shame if you ask me as originally 5.1 worked on wifi only straight out the box............ Samsung broke it with a firmware update so surely it's an easy fix if they just admitted there is a problem in the first place, and fix the firmware issues. 

I have been speaking with their senior customer services team and they have the opinion that this workaround with an optical lead has fixed the issue and requires not further action, and from the email I have received this is not going to be fixed any time soon!!

I think at this point if your happy to live with the workaround and an extra control it's not so bad (not very loud but sound quality is better) , but for me this is not what's written on the box or online, and I have asked for my money back but I am yet to receive a response from Samsung! 

Well, if that's the response you're getting from Samsung CS, then the whole lot is going back. You can't sell something that doesn't work as advertised! I am surprised this is their attitude. It's a shame as I liked the design of the product and the price point. Looks like I'll have to save a few more pennies for a Bose 3000 sound bar system (that's the order one I liked).

Highlighted
If anyone wants a copy of the email I have been sent just Pm me your email address and I will forward this on.
Highlighted
PM Sent. Thanks,
Highlighted

Just tried to log my issue with Samsung CS via the phone.  I thought that if I logged another call stating the same issue, it might have helped highlight it as a more 'urgent' problem.  My God - what an awful experience.  After 40 minutes, I gave up. First they couldn't find the R1 speaker on their system. Then they told me that 5.1 surround sound wasn't supported with the HW-K650 and the R1's. I pointed out that this is not what the Samsung webpage stated!

When I told him that I wasn't the only person experienceing these issues, and that there was a pretty big 'thread' on the UK Samsung forums about it, he said he would be passing me to the R1 speaker support team to see if they could help.

It was at this point I decided that I wasn't ready to waste hours of my life trying to convince Samsung they have an issue with their hardware if they weren't willing to listen to me. I find it amazing that nobody at Samsung HQ has a KS series TV, a couple of 360 surround speakers and a K650 soundbar.  Set the hardware up and see for yourselves that it doesn't work!  It's not rocket science!

If you can't be bothered to do that, then come round and look at mine.  However, you'd better be quick as I'll be taking it all back to the retailer soon...

Very disappointed in Samsung.  It's true what they say. Good customer service makes all the difference.  Sadly, it would appear that this company is lacking in this area.

Top Liked Authors