Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 28-12-2016 09:01 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
abob36
Pioneer
Options

Geez you guys really made me bust this thing out and try again. No it doesn't work. I followed the instructions to the letter. The rear speaker kit does not pair up no matter what I try. It definitely won't work in the app since it is not wifi enabled. 

You have instructions? Tell me them.

0 Likes
Monkfish
Journeyman
Options

It's things like this that suggested it was possible:

https://gibbyselectronicsupermarket.ca/product/samsung-hw-k650-soundbar-wireless-subwoofer-swa-8000-...

That seller seems to have live chat. Maybe you can ask them how they pair. Or US Samsung has live chat too. 

Probably though, they have a different firmware version in the US. Most likely so they can sell more R1s in the EU...

Now the question is... to keep the k650, with the hope of a firmware update(s) in the future to re-unify it with the r1.. will that happen though? Supply of R1s in retail shops in the UK seems limited, and no big retailers in Germany have them at all. Perhaps thats a normal post-nov/dec sales situation, but it might mean they are ramping up for the 2017 equivalents. In that case, what are the chances Samsung will update firmware for products they won't be selling? 

Not trying to be pessimistic - just trying to decide whether to return the k650, or keep, and hope they update the firmware, then find some r1s. 

0 Likes
dfensom
First Poster
Options

Hello everyone,

i just wanted to 'chip in' and say that I have exactly the same issue.
I have a KS8000 TV, HW-K650 soundbar and I have just purchased a pair of Samsung R1 speakers.

Trying to get the surround sound to work on (Wifi multi channel) is resulting in very poor, low volume, muddy sound quality. Speakers on 3111.1 /180R. Sound bar on 3108.9 / 0335.0R

Very disappointing. Only got this set up for Christmas. Not sure what I should do now?

Has Samsung actually said they have replicated the fault and working on an update?

David

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

Well the workaround is to use an optical cable in conjunction with the wifi and you will get the decent 5.1 surround but you have to use the soundbar remote to control the volume. No one here thinks Samsung will fix the issue. I'm living with it as the sound is good now just have to use multiple remotes.

0 Likes
Monkfish
Journeyman
Options

Sorry, I might have missed it, but just to clarify - do you mean optical to televison, and hdmi passthrough to the soundbar? Or optical direct to the soundbar?

Thanks!

(asking, as my tv is an old stereo passthrough non-wifi model. Thank God Samsung have made our lives easier here...)

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

Optical from the TV to the Sound Bar. Setup 5.1 sound on the multirom app and make sure the sound bar is set to Digitial in.

abob36
Pioneer
Options

@Monkfish wrote:

Sorry, I might have missed it, but just to clarify - do you mean optical to televison, and hdmi passthrough to the soundbar? Or optical direct to the soundbar?

Thanks!

(asking, as my tv is an old stereo passthrough non-wifi model. Thank God Samsung have made our lives easier here...)

If your TV has optical out, you run that to the soundbar. You then use the Samsung Multroom app on your phone or tablet and join the soundbar and radiant360 speakers to your Wi-Fi. Once you are able to see all your speakers in the Multiroom app, you can create a surround sound group.

Monkfish
Journeyman
Options

My tv doesn't have an optical-out I'm afraid. I assume (hope!!) any optical cable to the soundbar will suffice though, doesn't need the data passthrough'd first, and that you're doing that as your tv is acting as the initial receiver for your multiple sound inputs?

cheers!

(Due to my tv limitations, I've been using a toslink port switch previously. It's not pretty,  but enables multiple optical sources to kinda be directly connected to the soundbar. Doing this at the moment for ps4 and pc sources. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000QRI2EI/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1482962368&sr=8-9&pi=AC_SX236...)

0 Likes
abob36
Pioneer
Options
That will work. If your PC or BD player or what have you has optical out, you can connect that to the soundbar directly. There is an AUX port as well where you can get a 3.5mm to RCA cable and plug it in that way.
0 Likes
dfensom
First Poster
Options

@podavies wrote:

Well the workaround is to use an optical cable in conjunction with the wifi and you will get the decent 5.1 surround but you have to use the soundbar remote to control the volume. No one here thinks Samsung will fix the issue. I'm living with it as the sound is good now just have to use multiple remotes.

I realise there's a temporary work around (even though it doesn't work too well for me). However, as I brought all this kit to 'actually do what it says it will do', it would be nice if Samsung acknowledged there was an issue?  I'd be more willing to keep it if I knew there was a fix in the pipeline. If there's no confirmation within the next couple of weeks, I think I will take it all back to the shop... Not really impressed Samsung.

0 Likes