Support

Open search

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

Highlighted
Explorer

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,601 REPLIES 1,601
Highlighted

Thanks. The mkv file works, and demonstrates 3.1 working direct from the pc, despite the pc only detecting stereo (with the "rear" sources coming through the left and right of the soundbar).

Tempted to buy the swa-8000s now ... US Samsung website says it is compatible (top google result using both model numbers), and a 3rd party US seller is actually selling a 650+8000s bundle today. 

However, Uk samsung advised by email today that it wouldnt work... Perhaps that is correct, but eu/us models seem the same, and I assume firmwares are the same too. If yes, I assume it will work...

If so, then I assume the gap is in documentation / marketing. I'll pick up an 8000s tomorrow and test it. 

(Or if someone at Samsung would like to save me a trip first thing tomorrow, please advise confidently either way.)

Highlighted

@leelazer wrote:

there

I know I am getting 5.1 as when I run a 5.1 test file that plays sound through each speaker individually that's exactly what I get. sound from the front left, then from the centre, then from the front right, then from the rear right then from the rear left and finally the sub.  I am nit the only one who has had success doing this. I have double checked my settings. Optical out is not set to bitstream. Hdmi is set to bit stream I will try and post pictures of my settings fir you 

DSC_0290.JPG

DSC_0289.JPG

DSC_0288.JPG

When using the MKV test file via TV USB my system (k650 & 2x M3's) plays sound in every discrete 5.1 speaker.  That is true for all 3 connections from Samsung TV - Optical (s/pdif), HDMI (ARC), Wifi (TV to Soundbar).

My TV settings are:

HDMI Audio Format (input) = Bitsream.

Audio Format (output) = PCM.

Note, when I change the Audio Format (output) to Dolby Digital then the sound is muffled (it has low volume and the voice is not clear).

I don't get it.  

Why would I get 5.1 with PCM?  Does Samsung output 5.1 over Wifi (TV to Soundbar then Wifi to 2 x M3 speakers) connection or is that their own pseudo 5.1?

Highlighted

Let me know if the swa-8000s works. I think it is a documentation thing as well. The 650 and 550 are identical except in the Wi-Fi capabilities of the 650, so the 8000s should work theoretically.

Highlighted

Sorry, the 8000s was sold out by the time I got to the shop. No other shops locally stock it at the moment ... I'd rather not get it by mail, if theres a good chance it's getting returned... 

(Edit: found an amazon.com seller recommending 8000s for the k650: https://www.amazon.com/ask/questions/Tx2C9P8X19RPNE7/?source=allQuestionsPage. It's a gamble though - it really might be the US versions that are only compatible with each other)

Highlighted
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-K650-Channel-Wireless-Soundbar/dp/B01DOIQ274/ref=bdl_pop_ttl_B01DO...

The description lists the SWA-8000S as well, but could just be copied from the 550 description. Maybe I will pick them up tonight and try some testing.
Highlighted

Also, this US Samsung site suggests compatibility:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00049236/

It might just be a region thing in the end - and EU hardware may not in fact be compatible - though I'm not sure why they'd have different firmware / functionality across regions. 

Well, I got the SWA-8000S for cheap as they were open box. I tried pairing them to the 650, but they never did so that's a bust. Kind of dumb that they wouldn't work. Oh well. I almost wish I had the 550 now...

Will return these tomorrow.

Highlighted

Thats a shame, but thanks for testing.

Highlighted

Hi abob36

Just to clarify when you say you tried the pair them to the K650 you mean you connected to all the speakers via the app and then tried to group them.in a surround setup? 

Lee

Highlighted

@leelazer wrote:

Hi abob36

Just to clarify when you say you tried the pair them to the K650 you mean you connected to all the speakers via the app and then tried to group them.in a surround setup? 

Lee

They work with the k650.  Gee, the instructions are so simple,  it's incredibly easy.

Top Liked Authors