Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HW-K650 and Two R1 Wirelss Speakers in 5.1 With KS7000 TV

(Topic created on: 12-12-2016 06:12 PM)
podavies
Pioneer
Options

When using the K650 sound bar and two R1 Wireless speakers in surround sound mode over wifi with the latest firmware, The quailty of the sound K650 drops, sounds very muddy. As soon as you use the sound bar on it own, the sound bar improves. this is happening for a quite a few users.

can you help.

1,608 REPLIES 1,608
LeeS
Pioneer
Options

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.   As Ant said before, we asked our collegues to look into this as we didn't have first-hand experience with this set-up.  On the back of their initial reply, I wanted to have a play with the relevant kit and hear it for myself before commenting.  

Thankfully our engineering team had everything you have listed in their lab and invited me in this morning to go over it all with them.

I appreciate that some of you have spent more time on this than others.  However, in an effort to help answer the original post, and hopefully the ones that follow, I have started from the top.

The first thing we did was to just connect the Sound bar to the TV using WiFi, this outputs the sound in Stereo with low Dynamic range.   In order to get the Dynamic range available with Dolby Digital we had changed the option to Soundbar & Surround adding 2 Samsung Wireless Audio Multiroom Speakers as rears: Menu – Sound – Expert Settings – Wireless Speaker Manager.  This opens up the centre channel and adds that Dynamic range.

As you know, with the Samsung Multiroom App you can use your wireless speakers to add two rear channels and a surround sound effect.   This set-up does not utilise the Dolby Digital; instead the soundbars audio processor creates a surround sound field.  As it is processed in a different way, it inevitably sounds different from the Dolby Digital mix.

Which options sounds better is obviously subjective, however I can confirm that there is a difference with the two set-ups, born from the two different processes. 

Not sure if this answers everything, but hopefully it helps to establish what should be happening.

Lee

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Lee, 

Thanks for your response although it verges on stating there is 3not an issue with the firmware. 

I have connected mine exactly as you have suggested; with and without PCM/Bit stream options, with and without dolby surround options selected through the TV menu, and with both rear speakers selected in Soundbar & Surround adding 2 Samsung Wireless Audio Multiroom Speakers as suggested.

As soon as you add the radiant speakers all sound options other than basic sub woofer levels dissappear, and the sound is dreadful; and I will add I personally believe this has nothing to do with the dolby signal, but it's connected with the fact that all manual sound mode options are disabled in surround mode falling back to a default preset by firmware. As soon as you disconnect the rear speakers it's great again but this is useless as it just doesn't do what you say it does! 

With rear speakers connected the overall level of volume is much much lower and the unit is just unusable; speech cannot be heard, there is way too much bass at low levels and none at high levels. 

When the rear speakers are disconnected you can change all the settings whether it be dolby or otherwise and sound quality is still great. 

Myself and others have pointed out the problems on this thread many times. 

The sound quality is awful and this is just trying to pull the wool over our eyes; myself and many others have been dealing with this for months and months with no action and your basically stating this is the first time they have been confronted with this issue!! I was told three months ago this would be looked into and its clear it hasn't. 

This issue was not present out the box when new but is the result of a firmware update; I would say just roll the firmware back to avoid this issue but I would rather not have the wifi dropout issue again! 

This is not a matter of preference this is a matter of the default sound settings in surround mode being completely useless and incorrect for any type of use, and as this is set by the firmware and cannot be manually overridden in surround mode, a firmware update is required to resolve, that either allows for manual adjustment of sound levels in surround mode, or a correction to the default levels. 

If you are saying this is how it's supposed to be then please advise how I return all this kit and get my money back. It simply doesn't work and what's frustrating is we are unable to speak with anyone on here or on the phone, who can actually make a difference; only messengers to people who can. 

Following my contact with the UK Samsung CEO, I have this morning received an email from the Customer Services Executive, stating this will be looked into fully with more contact to follow. 

Can I suggest one of your technicians either speaks directly with me or comes to my house and views the problems first hand that I and many others are suffering. 

0 Likes
Tater
First Poster
Options

I agree,

Installed all mine linked two wireless as surround to TV and sound was great. Watched the display on bar say UPDATING and the next day the sound while in surround with TV was horrible. 

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options
Yes it was working before the firmware update, this is not setting or a format change. the sound out of the sound bar is so degraded it is unlistenable now.
0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

Can I also add that there is exactly the same issue in the USA and is on the Samsung US forum; unfortunately I am unable to link to the US threads as these are quickly removed. 

Also the soundbar firmware we have is 3108 and for some reason your own web site (here and in US)  has stated for some months now that 3107 is currently the latest version??? 

0 Likes
LeeS
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the detail, it really does help us to better explain the situation to the engineers and product teams.

While the Community is still relatively new, one of it's primary goals is to make it easier to listen, discuss and share your experiences.

I understand that this matter is a tad frustrating and that my previous reply perhaps just confirmed what many of you have already said; although it was useful to see and hear it for myself.

If you can bear with us a little while longer, we will continue to speak with our collegues and share feedback as soon as we get it. 

Lee

0 Likes
Robbienobs
Pathfinder
Options

LeeS

This is a big part of the point I am making; why can this not be escalated so I can speak with a Samsung engineer directly?? 

There is no ownership here of this issue by one person at Samsung. 

With all due respect I am glad it was useful for you having me summarise all this again, but I have done nothing but repeat this over and over on here and over the phone. 

0 Likes
podavies
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the response Lees,  i know we are all frustrated with this issues. but dont take it personally its thanksless job being the first line of support.

Paul

0 Likes
Bryantay
Explorer
Options
Yes Lees, Please allow this to be escalated. Let someone speak to Rob directly. Sounds like you are close in proximity to him. At the very least allow him to show someone exactly what we are all experiencing.
0 Likes
leelazer
Navigator
Options

Hi All

I have exactly the same problem. When I use the soundbar on its own the sound is amazing. As soon as I set up the surround sound R1 speakers the sound quality of the sounbar goes to pot and sounds muffled with hardly any mid range or high end and the subwoofer is too loud even when adjusted to -6. There is a -12 setting but this pretty much turns the sub off. I would like to direct a question to you Lees as in your first reply you said that in surround mode its not actually 5.1. The product says that to get 5.1 surround sound you just need to add a pair of wireless rears. Is it actually the case that we wont get real 5.1 sound from this set up? 

Lee

0 Likes