Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

HT-J4500 home cinema, cycling on and off repeatedly.

(Topic created on: 01/07/20 00:14)
scotchbaz
Navigator
Options
Audio & Video

Although I've had it a good few years, never having a problem with it, my home cinema system is throwing a fit. It seemed to start when the blu ray/ dvd drawer wouldn't fully extend. I gently pulled it and inserted the disc and it seemed to work okay. The next day, when I switched it on, it now cycles through "LOAD", "No DISC" repeatedly, even when trying to use "D in", "AUX" or any other setting. I've disconected the drive from the rest of the unit, no difference. I've reset the unit whilst it was in stand by mode, nothing. It's not dirty inside, all very clean looking. Anyone know what's going on... Please help.

I've looked over the net all to no avail. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
AntS
Options
Audio & Video

Cheers guys!

Update on this. Statement we've just received for UK & Ireland users is:

"Samsung is aware of an issue affecting a small number of devices causing them to be continuously rebooting.  If we recognise your model as one that is potentially affected then we are happy to offer a Free of Charge repair to rectify this issue only, once confirmed by our nominated Authorised Service Centre."

In other words, it's best to get in touch with the Samsung Audio/Visual Support teams directly, and they will advise/assist you from there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: I've also marked this post as the  topic 'solution' to make it easier for folks to see. :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

View solution in context

1,061 REPLIES 1,061
Chris-McM
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

Hi MadPat

I received an email from RepairTech about 15 minutes ago, confirming receipt of the unit and saying that it will be passed to an engineer shortly for assessment. Did you get an email like this? How long afterwards did you get confirmation that the repair had been completed successfully?

Thanks

Chris

Krisb60
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

today - emails from repair team
Now I'm Waiting for confirmation that fix has been applied as per MadPat

0 Likes
MadPat
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video
Hi Chris-Mm.
Was only a matter of about 3 hours before I'd had a summery of repair sent through via email
JuanMber
Observer
Options
Audio & Video

I had the problem in my Bluray, it is being fixed in the store, for free, BUT TODAY THE SAME PROBLEM HAPPENED ON MY SAMSUNG TV!!!!!!!!! WTF???????

ANYONE ELSE?

Trinderbox
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video
MadPat, what was in the summary? It will be more than Samsung have told any of us or even admitted to.
Was it a new main/motherboard or just a reflash of the firmware?
I'm curious to know, since they currently haven't got back to me with a solution since I 'livechatted' last Wednesday.
Congrats by the way, 1 down X million to go......
0 Likes
MadPat
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video
Tinderbox.
Work summery said firmware/software update. I'd assume due to the restart cycle it needs to be forced rather than an online process.
Just waiting to hear from the courier now
Trinderbox
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

Thanks MadPat,

To be frank, I'm not surprised that it was a reflash once they'd opened the Bluray box.

I suspect they had to discharge the eeprom first by crossing some terminals or even removing it (thats a solder job!).

Either way the box and system are not designed to update without access to the user interface or over the web automatically (which is where we all came in....).

Thanks again this has been very informative.

Time to be more insistent with them methinks!

MadPat
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video
No problem at all Tinderbox.
Had an email this morning to say they will deliver it back tomorrow. I'll post the whole timeline once I've tested it
0 Likes
Trinderbox
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video
MadPat, We wait with bated breath.......
Trinderbox out.
0 Likes
Chris-McM
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

Well, mine seems to have hit a snag at Repairtech, they say that they have reported the fault back to Samsung. Samsung initally said that Repairtech were awaiting parts, then when pressed reverted to the line that it is an ongoing issue with their technical team. The unit is a HT-J4550, perhaps they are yet to write new firmware for this model? Or perhaps it needs a new board or chip? Who knows! I'll keep you posted on progress.

Incidentally, the agent initially told me that he'd spoken to Repairtech, but then later in the call said that they hadn't answered the call when he'd tried them. I'm awaiting a call from a supervisor as I really hate it when people lie (especially when they're not very good at it!)

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Audio & Video

@Chris-McM  Certainly a few will be interested to see how this develops.   I agree that it is best if advisors are upfront, even if thry do not have a great deal to update you on.

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Audio & Video

@Trinderbox obviously further resolutions are required and understand a number of customers are concerned.  However  @AntS  marked the advice/recommendation as a solution so that it easily accessible .  ie. members can find it quickly   (with this being quite a lengthy thread.

0 Likes
Trinderbox
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video
@JAMES4578, whilst I understand what has been done & why @AntS has marked the thread, this was NOT a solution.
Those of us affected by the collective failure of our machines were at first annoyed that our players had gone wrong, initially thinking repair or replacement was our problem alone.
Then we discover there is a whole community of us who have been inflicted with 'bricked' players all with the same symptoms simultaneously, next thought failure arising from an over the web update - responsibility Samsung.
We are then hopeful of a solution, but have been purposefully kept in the dark (like mushrooms) by Samsung who have not issued any statements or guidance during the past 2 weeks.
What the community required was a solution. but adding the word SOLVED to the prefix of the strand does not a solution make and implies something completely different i.e. ADVICE , when all that is added are the contacts/links to register by.
This may well be an inadequacy of the manner in which this forum has been created, however there needs to be a mechanism that achieves the same end of accessibility as ADVICE before the eventual solution can be posted.
Currently the SOLUTION is in the UK & USA, to go to LiveChat or telephone to register your player for repair on a free collect and return basis. This being in the absence of a DIY 'over the web' or 'firmware reflash' option.
When a potential resolution is not known there is great frustration and in some cases (not mine) pent up anger, when you see the problem has been "SOLVED" when quite patently it has not!
This is a problem with Samsung's PR department who have kept it from the press and have not kept their consumers informed. One must say that they have behaved like Ostriches when confronted by the scale of this problem. It may be a corporate decision long term to avoid claims & mitigate the repair costs world wide, but this is no way to conduct customer relations and retain sales.
Customer loyalty should not be taken for granted. Quality of service takes working at, hence they should start here.
"SOLVED" ...... really?
Spiros
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

Update from 🇬🇷 :

On Friday, and while I had previously talked to Sumsung Support and agreed to take the unit to the service, a guy called to offer free courier pick up and delivery. Who would not agree to this? After confirming same, ‘ve been told someone would call me on Monday to arrange pick up!
On Monday the mob of my wife rings (never gave them that number) from the service centre to arrange repair. He was redirected to me.
The same guy called me to advise me where to take the unit for repair. I told him I was offered pick up & delivery and he said had no idea about this.
On Tuesday, I called the Sam. Support. The story goes again, and it appears they do not offer pick up & delivery. And what about the guy who called me??? Will call you tomorrow, they said.
Two days have passed and no signal from them yet.
Planning to take the unit to the service centre on my own.

Will keep you posted.

0 Likes
Jules01
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video
I also have the HT-J4550. Mine is being collected today. Fingers crossed it will be plain sailing from here but I doubt it! 🤔
Trinderbox
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video

AntS,

I have seen your solution post and despite your protestations, this is not a solution.

This is a RECOMMENDED ACTION.

What is required is an update that advises the recommended resolutions for each of the affected players by type of player.

If this means that each player needs to be returned to a service centre for repair, by reflashing the firmware (because it cannot be done in-situ or over the web), then this should be made plain.

Then affected users can take the appropriate action and arrange for a repair.

It is the lack of valid information (and total silence) from Samsung that is frustrating everyone affected and is framing future purchasing decisions - short & long-term.

Trevor1979
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

@samsung So reading through this thread and the similar USA community thread, there is a fix for this through a firmware update. Why can you not post the firmware and steps to update it online? Also, why are customers in the rest of the world not offered the same repair service as your UK and USA customers? Am I smelling discrimination here? Is our business not worth the same to you?

MuratD
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

The same problem here in Istanbul, Turkey with continuously rebooting Ht-J4550.

I hope Samsung solves it!

toprak
First Poster
Options
Audio & Video

when I called the service, they told me that they're supposed to change mainboard and I need to pay 750 TRY. they have to solve it free since problem is not a customer error.

0 Likes
Buddy21
Explorer
Options
Audio & Video
If you called Samsung they should do it FREE! they know its heir issue. Besides going to a service center(authorized) without getting a fix-it-ticket from Samsung, yes you will pay. Most ASC know that Samsung will re-pay them. So make sure you go to Samsung first for authorization and not a ASC first. MAny are being subcontracted.
0 Likes
pwe
Apprentice
Options
Audio & Video

Hello everybody! 

0 Likes