Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Freestyle connectivity

(Topic created on: 19-05-2023 03:20 PM)
catflap
Navigator
Options

How do I physically connect my Samsung 3D Blu-ray player as well as external USB drives to my freestyle projection TV? Not wirelessly. Not with Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. But actually physically.

55 REPLIES 55
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
I have everything connected through a ethernet switch.
Internet goes in an then pc, TV, cable box, surround system all goes out, I also have 3 ethernet hard drives that I can access from the TV and the pc. I can also play from the pc to TV.
0 Likes
catflap
Navigator
Options

Thank you for replying. But I have to know exactly what kind of cables and other equipment that I need. I don't have cable TV. But I do have wired cable internet and Wi-Fi. I believe my internet box has a second ethernet socket. And I don't know what an ethernet switch is. So I need to know exactly what equipment I need as far as HDMI cables and USB hubs and what is an ethernet switch and how do I use it?

0 Likes
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
I'm not sure of the make of the ethernet box but all cables going in and out are ethernet cables. Pc to external hard drives are usb, as I can move from pc to external hard drive and play on the TV.
I'll check what the ethernet box is when I get home later today.
0 Likes
catflap
Navigator
Options

Thanks again for replying. The brand of equipment isn't important to me. I just have to know what I need to buy. My computer is not in the same room as my freestyle, but it is connected by ethernet cable for internet. Except for the computer, I want to be able to connect everything directly to the freestyle: 3D Blu-ray player and external USB drives. Right now my freestyle connects wirelessly to the internet, but if it's possible to also physically connect the freestyle to my internet box that would also be great. Unfortunately the freestyle instruction manual doesn't give any information on how to connect these things and there is only a single HDMI mini or HDMI micro socket in the freestyle and that's just not enough to connect anything. If I want to watch a downloaded video on my freestyle, I can only do it wirelessly with Samsung SmartThings through my phone or tablet, both of which are Samsung. And this is just tedious.

0 Likes
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
The pc is all usb (where needed) and ethernet.TV is ethernet and HDMI (blueray player and soundbar and surround sound speakers.
It's all a bit confusing but all of it works and works well.
0 Likes
catflap
Navigator
Options

Thanks again for replying. I get what your setup is but it's not what I want to set up. I don't want to stream anything from my phone or tablet, and my laptop because it's in another room. I don't have a tuner on my laptop . I watch TV using the apps from Samsung which includes a TV/DVR App from my provider. I want to be able to connect everything directly to the freestyle: 3D Blu-ray player and external USB drives. I do have a soundbar connected by Bluetooth and if I could connect that physically to the freestyle as well that would be great but it's not as important as everything else. So I still don't know how to connect my Blu-ray player and my external drives physically directly to the freestyle. Can anybody out there help me?

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
The Blu Ray player will need something like a Micro HDMI to HDMI cable, or a Micro HDMI to USB Type-C cable.
With the lack of connections you will need to keep using Bluetooth for the soundbar.

Turning to HDDs you will need a file manager or media player to view these. I don't know if the projector has these but you still have the lack of USB sockets.
0 Likes
catflap
Navigator
Options

Thank you for replying. I'm sure the freestyle has a built-in media player because when I stream a video from my tablet or phone I use the freestyles remote to control fast forward rewind play stop pause and which are all shown on screen.

I was hoping someone could tell me if there is any kind of a hub that I connect with HDMI micro to the freestyle which will have USB and HDMI ports in the hub.

I don't have any kind of dedicated NAS server. I just have a bunch of external hard drives ranging from 500 GB to 5 TB. I don't want to connect them all at once, but if I can connect at least two plus Blu-ray DVD player into a hub that's connected to the freestyle that I think would be exactly what I'm looking for but I just don't know if that even is possible or if it exists. I don't want to have to keep transferring videos to my Galaxy Tab S8 Ultra tablet in order to stream it because I don't want to put a lot of wear and tear on it.

I would appreciate it if anyone reading this has the freestyle and was able to set up the way that I have described and can tell me how they did it and if I'm anywhere in the ballpark of how to do it. Thank you.

0 Likes
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Just a thought. I have a wired network. All my HDDs are connected to my PC. Using mains powerline extenders means I connect other devices by cable, in different rooms. That should address accessibility to HDDs.
You should then be left with connecting the DVD player via mini HDMI to HDMI adapter.

I can't find a hub with both HDMI and USB ports to work as above.