Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dolby TrueHD and eARC on Samsung Q80R Soundbar

(Topic created on: 11-01-2020 07:53 PM)
Mike_krk
Explorer
Options

Hi, since few days I am an owner of a Samsung HW-Q80R soundbar in pair with Philips 55OLED854 SmartTV. Searching the Internet back and forth I found no certain answer to the following problems:

1. Does Samsung HW-Q80R has ARC or eARC?
2. Does it support Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD?
3. If it does not have eARC, is it possible for Samsung to change it to eARC via firmware update?
4. Does it support DTS-HD or DTS-Master?

I also saw these topics:
and

And I do wonder: if I own a SmartTV with Netflix app installed (so TV is the only source), how can I "connect my source directly to soundbar and soundbar output to tv, so Sound will go out of soundbar without any lag, and video will pass through to tv"? Is it even possible in my configuration? What should I do to get the bes possible audio quality?

Best regards!
Mike
0 Likes
71 REPLIES 71
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

As expected, Samsung washes its hands from any liability. With the help of Stephen Withers, they misled us all, and now they say they can't speculate about anything. Throughout the past year they have speculated using Whithers and his websites, where he writes reviews. Disgustingly biased and hypocritical reviews without ascertaining the actual parameters of the device.

Bez tytułu.png

0 Likes
Soul_
Pioneer
Options
0 Likes
Frans83
Pioneer
Options
This has become a real interesting forum topic. If it's been officially announced that there will be an eARC update, then Samsung should come up with something. At least to avoid losing face. They are allready losing the QLED-OLED race, at least where I live and their 'top' soundbars, really aren't the best soundbars out there. The ones without the rear speakers are bested by f.e. Sony with eARC, but also soundwise by Sony's HT-ST5000, Vizio's F6 and G^(both not available where I live), and while not as good sounding as Samsung, the LG line up which DOES have the option to connect rear speakers. So less quality sound, but better surround. That does take it in to the equation. Then there is Samsungs top model with rear speakers, but the quality isn't necessarily better then the ST5000 or Vizio's G6. Vizio's is real good and also has 2 rear upward firing speakers, but at half the price of samsungs soundbar!

All of this together, can this be a giant kick in the groin for samsung, which gives them no choise to recover from to give us the update or something else to please the consumer, or.....do they just laugh at me and this post and continue as they did?
Soul_
Pioneer
Options

Knowing Samsung, they would only care if there is a lawsuit or media attention on it.

SuissoNaBisso
Pioneer
Options
You should all go on twitter and post using the hashtag #earcSamsungGate
https://twitter.com/hashtag/earcSamsungGate?src=hashtag_click

Don' forget to tag all Samsung accounts and reviewer's ones too ! that's important they ear our voices § as they can't *****ing read their own community forum to get consumer feedback !
Frans83
Pioneer
Options

@Soul_ wrote:

I have have two young kids and this is exactly why I got a Soundbar for my family room. We are both in the same boat. I am just like you and did a ton of research, because money doesnt grow on trees. And Q80 has been my regret so far, due to the lack of eARC, even though all the freaking reviewers priomised eARC in summer, and some like Withers even said that eARC is already supported.

It is an absolute ***** show. The only eARC capable SBs right now are the 2020 LG ones and 2018 Sony. If Sony can update their 2018 SB to support eARC, why the **** cant Samsung update their 2019 SB with eARC. I apologise, I am quite pissed.

I would like to shake your hand if I could haha. We are truly in the same boat. Also no apology needed. I think we all feel your frustration.

Anyway...I am really lost. First: I don't want a soundbar with surround, without Atmos. I also don't believe in Atmos without upwards speakers, so that narrows it down.

The best bet would be LG's line-up, but LG's best one (SL10YG for 800 euro) is still considered mediocre with it sounds, in comparison to Samsung, Sony, Yamaha, Senn, Sonos, Heos and Vizio. The SL10 is however, wel above 1000 euro's, so the next one with eARC, the LG SN11RG would be even pricier and why pay that much for mediocre sound? Only for eARC and Lip Sync?

There will also be a cheaper one. The SN9YG and this one has almost everything I need and is cheaper. But the 2019 SL9YG is on sale here and costs me about 600 euro. Without the non-upward rear speakers for 120 euro. And we all know a newer model will cost more. So to sum it up:

The best would be the Sony HT-ST5000 (because of excellent sound and eARC), but it's from 2018 and doesn't support rear speakers, but will cost me about 900 euro's. That's about 1000 dollar and that's insane for a 2 year old model without rear speakers. 

Then there are the LG's now, which aren't cheap and provide a lot of whistles and bells, but mediocre sound. So no.

The LG's 2020 line-up. The SN11RG which I think will cost around 1000 euro or the SN9YG for maybe 200 euro less, but both without rear speakers and I also believe, still mediocre sound. Oh and the 120 euro optional speakers, don't have an upward position. So that's also a shame.

Then there is Samsung's line up, which to my opnion is also not what I want, due to it's price and non-compatibilty with rear speakers and the one that has it, is over a 1000 euro's without eARC. The one thing is with Samsung is, they sound really good.

And then there is Vizio's soundbar for 512 euro (570 dollar) It is praised for it's sound (often in about the same level as Samsung) and has 4K passthrough, Atmos, DTS Virtual X and a total of 5 surround channels and 4 upward channels. So 2 surround back and 2 upward back. Only thing is, I live in the netherlands and the thing isn't sold here. So I am afraid for compatibilty.

Anyway.....I am really lost. Do I need one of the options above. Or do I need to rethink it and get an cheaper Atmos soundbar without rear speakers? Or without front upward speakers? Or get the mediocre SL8 from LG? (450 euro's for Atmos, with upward speakers and the option to add rear speakers, but without eARC)

Or......Do I need to buy a real cheap soundbar with virtual surround and wait till the soundbar we all want comes along?

0 Likes
Soul_
Pioneer
Options

@Frans83 wrote:

I would like to shake your hand if I could haha. We are truly in the same boat. Also no apology needed. I think we all feel your frustrati model

I am really lost. First: I don't want a soundbar with surround, without Atmos. I also don't believe in Atmos without upwards speakers, so that narrows it down.

The best bet would be LG's line-up, but LG's best one (SL10YG for 800 euro) is still considered mediocre with it sounds, in comparison to Samsung, Sony, Yamaha, Senn, Sonos, Heos and Vizio. The SL10 is however, wel above 1000 euro's, so the next one with eARC, the LG SN11RG would be even pricier and why pay that much for mediocre sound? Only for eARC and Lip Sync?

There will also be a cheaper one. The SN9YG and this one has almost everything I need and is cheaper. But the 2019 SL9YG is on sale here and costs me about 600 euro. Without the non-upward rear speakers for 120 euro. And we all know a newer model will cost more. So to sum it up:

The best would be the Sony HT-ST5000 (because of excellent sound and eARC), but it's from 2018 and doesn't support rear speakers, but will cost me about 900 euro's. That's about 1000 dollar and that's insane for a 2 year old model without rear speakers. 

Then there are the LG's now, which aren't cheap and provide a lot of whistles and bells, but mediocre sound. So no.

The LG's 2020 line-up. The SN11RG which I think will cost around 1000 euro or the SN9YG for maybe 200 euro less, but both without rear speakers and I also believe, still mediocre sound. Oh and the 120 euro optional speakers, don't have en upward position. So that's also a shame.

Then there is Samsung's line up, which to my opnion is also not what I want, due to it's price and non-compatibilty with rear speakers and the one that has it, is over a 1000 euro's without eARC.

And then there is Vizio's soundbar for 512 euro (570 dollar) It is praised for it's sound and has 4K passthrough, Atmos, DTS Virtual X and a total of 5 surround channels and 4 upward channels. So 2 surround back and 2 upward back. Only thing is, I live in the netherlands and the thing isn't sold here. So I am afraid for compatibilty.

Anyway.....I am really lost. Do I need one of the options above. Or do I need to rethink it and get an cheaper Atmos soundbar without rear speakers? Or without front upward speakers?

Or......Do I need to buy a real cheap soundbar with virtual surround and wait till the soundbar we all want comes along?

I personally would say wait till spring, or buy sony if you really need one now. Who cares if it is 2 year old, when it has all the features you need. Be sure to confirm in writing, the eARC features on whichever soundbar you buy.

0 Likes
slim_shady
Journeyman
Options

TBH guys it's all a bit of a joke this e-arc thing anyways! I was on the cusp of purchasing an LG C9 and HW-Q80R, but not only have I found out that the HW- Q80R doesn't support e-arc, I have also found out that the LG C9 doesn't support e-arc through its built-in apps ...my main aim for my upgrade was to use the built-in Plex app to stream all my UHD/Atmos movies, but it turns out that neither the HW-Q80R or the C9 are up to the job! Ultimately this means I'm gunna have to wait another 6 months or so for 2020 tech or purchase a dedicated Media player (media center PC or Shield) ...which was exactly what I wanted to avoid!! ah well, back to the drawing board!

Frans83
Pioneer
Options

@Soul_ wrote:

I personally would say wait till spring, or buy sony if you really need one now. Who cares if it is 2 year old, when it has all the features you need. Be sure to confirm in writing, the eARC features on whichever soundbar you buy.

Thank you, for your opinion. Appreciate it. I do need one now, because I have to listen to the sound of my tv or through a headphone. Headphone is really good, but it also tires me. So maybe I'll keep my eyes out for a sale of the Sony HT-ST5000. If I can't find one and it's almost spring, I'll wait to see what the manufacures bring to the table.

Back on topic...I still keeping my thumbs up for a possible Samsung update. Imagine if that update came for the older Samsung HW-N95. Here it's 890 dollar with 7.1.4 channels.

So come on samsung! Give us what you promised!!

0 Likes
Frans83
Pioneer
Options

@slim_shady wrote:

I have also found out that the LG C9 doesn't support e-arc through its built-in apps ...

This is ridiculess! What's the point of giving a smart tv eARC when the apps don't use it!? Not even Netflix?

So it's safe to say, that people who wanted and thought they had the possibility to expierence true Atmos and without lip sync problems, they where all to early and got fooled with whatever Atmos set-up they bought?

0 Likes