Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get 4K 120 HDR to work with my HW-950T

(Topic created on: 14-02-2021 06:14 PM)
JKResnick
Journeyman
Options

I have a my Series X connected to my new Samsung HW-Q950T soundbar, which connects to my LG CX. However I can't seem to get 4K HDR and 120fps to work at the same time. Disabling one will fix it, but with everything enabled I only get a black screen or it keeps flikkering with just a couple of seconds of either audio or video coming through.

Connecting the xbox straight to the CX and then the soundbar to the eARC port also isn't a option because of lipsync issues, which I haven't been able to find a solution for (which seems to be a common probblem with LG OLEDs).

I saved up for years to buy this set and it's just such a bummer that I can't seem to get it to work!

11 REPLIES 11
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
You would probably be better off posting on an LG forum as your only Samsung product is the soundbar which is nothing to do with your problem.
0 Likes
JKResnick
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your reply. And I understand your point of view, however the problem does have something to do with the soundbar. The problem I am experiencing is that my Samsung soundbar doesn't seem to be able to support 120hz. I have been using this setup with no problem, but as soon as I enable 120hz on my xbox the soundbar doesn't seem to be able to deliver the signal to my TV. Even though the Q950T has HDMI 2.1 ports, which should be able to support the refresh rate. The TV is fully cable of receiving the signal. All ports are 2.1 and getting 120hz on it when I take the soundbar out of the equation works flawlessly.

So I want to know if I am experiencing an issue here or that the Samsung  soundbar simply doesn't support 4K @ 120hz.

Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
0 Likes
JKResnick
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the quick reply! I have set up everything accordingly like the article you send. The weird thing is that according to my xbox, every box is checked. So it recognizes that my current setup is able to deliver all the goods. So it seems like there is something going wrong with the handshake of the soundbar between the systems

0 Likes
OberstGruber
Journeyman
Options

Hi jkresnick, 

I got the same problem as you have. At least I can help you a little with some informations. 

I mailed samsung my problem and got the simple answer, that the new q soundbars don't support 4k 120hz with hdr because they not capable of hdmi 2.1. 

I replyed after contacting my lawyer insurance because they advertise this product as "hdmi 2.1".

I contacted Samsung because of there false advertisement and didn't get an answer yet. I am really XXX about there products. 

Just for the case my reply gets deleted, we should stay in contact.

I'm very interested what they will tell you! 

JKResnick
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for your reply and my apologies for the late response.

That indeed seems like a good idea, since it should be fully capable, but apparently it isn't. It's also indeed one of the reasons I went for this soundbar instead of the Sonor ARC.

I did want to say that I have found a solution to the problem, but it does involve spending another  $150. I have bought the Sharc EARC Audio Converter. Plug the device in the EARC port of your TV and then plug it in a regular HDMI port (not the EARC port) of your soundbar. With this I am getting full resolution audio quality with Dolby Atmos and no delay whatsoever. The only downside is that it can take about 1-2 seconds before the handshake between the TV and the soundbar is established when switched sources. But after that it works flawlessly. And ofcourse the fact that you have to spend this extra money when the soundbar shouldn't need such a device with the way it is advertised.

Hope this helps you at for now and hopefully Samsung does something about this problem.

OberstGruber
Journeyman
Options

hi there! fist: i didnt get a answer from customer support since two weeks. 😞 thats not how you tread your customers who buys a TV and soundbar 😕

To your "solution": i read about this Converter as well.  So where do you plug your xbox in? Into Audio converter or TV? Does the audio converter power itself on automatically  or do you have to manually switch it on / off? And last but not least: can you send me a link to this device?

thanks!

0 Likes
JKResnick
Journeyman
Options

Hi man,

I saw your private message. Glad to help.

The SHARC comes with a USB cable that you can plug into the TV itself which will power it. It's plug and play, you don't have to install anything and you don't have to switch it on or off. Once it's setup it's all good to go. One thing worth mentioning is that when you switch inputs/games or turn tv or of off it needs about 2 seconds to make the handshake before you hear any sound. A minor issue comparing to the solution it brings.

I have it setup like this:

The SHARC has two HDMI ports. One goes into the eARC port of TV and the other one goes into a regular HDMI port of the soundbar (not the eARC one). The Xbox goes straight into the TV of itself. Make sure the settings on the TV for audio are set to Audio Trough eARC, Bitstream and on Passthrough.

With this setup you won't lose any audio or video quality and get the full Atmos experience together with the full capacity of the Xbox (4K 120hz HDR, VRR etc)

Here is the link to the adapter:

https://www.thenaudio.com/product/sharc-earc-audio-converter/ 

Good luck and enjoy your setup! It's worth it.

Ps SHARC has an amazing customer service, so you can mail them if you have any problems setting it up or have additional issues.

ZiiooiiZ
First Poster
Options

Have you tried connecting with earc and setting your xbox to PCM 7.1 in audio settings? You'll lose atmos and dts:x but should still have surround.

The soundbar isn't capable of 4k/120hz. there is not enough bandwidth in the hdmi 2.0 port. 

There is always https://www.hdtvsupply.com/8k-hdmi-earc-adapter.html

Its what I'm grabbing if my CX has issues with my HW950t and PS5, once I can find one. Its the only splitter capable of Atmos and 4k/120hz. Too ***** much at $200 but with almost 3k invested so far I want all my features functional. This would circumvent the DTS earc passthru issues of the CX as well, which will still be an issue if they can fix the audio delay with firmware.

0 Likes