Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audio Delay from Xbox Series X

(Topic created on: 23-02-2021 09:12 AM)
dannyp21
Explorer
Options
I have just bought a new Xbox Series X console and have it wired into my new Samsung Q90T 2020 TV through the game port and then wired via HDMI  EARC port into my Q800T soundbar. 

On setting the console to Dolby Atmos there is a significant audio delay from the soundbar which cannot be rectified through the sync settings on the soundbar or the TV. 

I have Netflix on the TV and my satellite box set up also through EARC and there is no issue but the is significant issue with the Xbox sound sync which is quite frankly infuriating. 

Is anyone else having this issue, and has anyone found a fix? I have spent a lot of money on a new home cinema set up and cannot watch blu rays because of this. 
191 REPLIES 191
OberstGruber
Journeyman
Options

Optical out and dolby atmos delay? 

Are you sure that you don't have a different problem? There is no object base audio format that can be used over optical out 

0 Likes
keithfkelly
Journeyman
Options

Optical out and Dolby Digital (not Atmos).  But it doesn't matter, because the thing I originally posted was a false finding; my Xbox One S has just gotten kicked back into "stereo uncompressed" mode somehow without me changing the setting, so of course the lag seemingly went away.

crustedink
Student
Options

i tried every setting on the samsung or the xbox. as soon as i have bitstream turned on, i am getting a delay with earc.
disabled vrr, tried 60 and 120 mhz, disabled game mode..nothing. no working atmos with earc in games. thats super annoying

cod
Journeyman
Options

Works fine if you connect the Xbox directly to an AVR which supports Atmos / DTS-X (or, I would assume, a soundbar), no audio delay at all. However, you may not get VRR, and you won't get 4K-120hz.

Connecting directly to the TV will get you VRR and 4K-120hz (if your TV supports that), but then outputting sound from the TV to an AVR will give you audio delay. 

That's the same with both the One X and the Series X

0 Likes
FrancisP
First Poster
Options

Same problem here as well, through the TV and Atmos on, I have a delay. Atmos off, it is good.  It is a bit better if I go through pass-through and Atmos though. Can't believe how long I've been fighting to get this working...

0 Likes
Ninja_tiger
Apprentice
Options

In a way im glad to see this isn't just me - I have the q70r TV and the Q70 soundbar long as its bitstream audio be it over arc or optical there is a delay. except when using the built in apps. Seems the TV is unable to process the audio fast enough when its in a Device - TV - Soundbar/other audio device. causing the lag. How to fix it I admit I got no idea. Samsungs Repair doesn't help obviously so im at a loss. Anyone reccomend a good HDMI splitter to the soundbar direct?

keithfkelly
Journeyman
Options

Any audio decoding/conversion/processing by the TV introduces massive audio lag, and that's likely due to lack of sufficient computing horsepower inside the TV, so it's unlikely to be fixed by any firmware update.

The magic feature you need to enable and use is "Pass-through" mode (as opposed to "PCM" or "Bitstream").  Sadly, these TVs are not spec'd to pass-through audio over the optical port; the best they can do is decode-and-reencode the audio to produce it on the optical output.  To achieve "Pass-through" mode, you MUST use eARC... but very few customers at this time have sound bars or AV receivers that support eARC.  Most of us have devices that only support the older (and incompatible) ARC protocol, or that only support non-eARC HDMI or digital optical inputs.

And, due to a firmware bug in the entire 2020 series of Samsung TVs, they also will not pass through uncompressed 5.1 or 7.1 LPCM (aka PCM), even over eARC, and will instead downgrade such signals to 2CH (stereo) uncompressed LPCM (aka PCM), so you have to be willing to use encoded formats such as Dolby Digital or Dolby Atmos to make all of this work.  

The only solutions to this predicament are:

1. Use optical out directly from the device (game console, PC, whatever) directly into the sound bar or AV receiver (thus bypassing the TV entirely).

2. Use an AV receiver (with built-in eARC support) connected to HDMI3(eARC), with the source device set to output "Dolby Digital" or "Dolby Atmos" (whichever your sound bar or AV receiver actually knows how to decode), with the TV set to use "HDMI-eARC" audio output in "Pass-through" mode.

3. Use a Thenaudio.com SHARC as an eARC audio device connected to HDMI3(eARC), with the source device set to output "Dolby Digital" or "Dolby Atmos" (whichever your sound bar or AV receiver actually knows how to decode), with the TV set to use "HDMI-eARC" audio output in "Pass-through" mode.  The SHARC provides digital optical output and non-ARC non-eARC HDMI audio output that you can feed into almost any old sound bar or AV receiver -- and it converts so quickly that no audio lag or lip-sync problems can be observed.

I own a Thenaudio.com SHARC and can confirm it works perfectly with my Samsung Q90T to finally provide lag-free Dolby Digital audio to my old non-Atmos non-eARC Yamaha AV receiver.  It was the ONLY "universal" way for me to achieve this across ALL the different devices (many of which do not provide separate optical digital audio outputs) that I use with my system.

One other IMPORTANT CATCH to be aware of:

The TV utterly relies upon HDMI pins 13 (CEC), 15 (DDC clock),  16 (DDC data), and 19 (hotswap detect) to detect and initialize any eARC audio device... but some devices are poorly-behaved and erroneously hard-wire one or more of these HDMI pins to ground (especially when the device is turned off).  If such a device is wired into your system anywhere -- even into a separate input port on the TV or AV receiver, or even into an HDMI switch in the signal path before the TV -- then the TV will fail to pop up its little "audio device detected" text or to show "HDMI-eARC" as an available audio output device in its menus.  If you plug in a SHARC or other eARC device and the TV doesn't obviously detect it, then you may still hear audio out over the eARC device, but the TV will not show "HDMI-eARC" as the audio output device, nor will it allow you to select the oh-so-critical "Pass-through" option in its menu.  In this case, you should unplug ALL other HDMI devices from your system, then unplug and re-plug the eARC device into HDMI3(eARC), then wait several seconds and see if the TV says it has detected the device.  With no other devices connected to the system, that should work.  Then, attach one more device, and unplug/replug the eARC device from HDMI3(eARC) again, and see if the TV detects it.  Keep going through this process, adding back one device at a time, until you determine which one is responsible for preventing the TV from detecting the eARC device.  Once you've identified the bad device, you'll have to leave that device's HDMI unplugged at all times unless you are using it.

keithfkelly
Journeyman
Options

Does your TV correctly detect your soundbar as an Atmos-compatible eARC sound device when you unplug/replug it from HDMI3(eARC) on the TV?  The TV should pop up a little message saying it detected an Atmos-compatible eARC device.  After that, you should see the sound output device listed as "HDMI-eARC" in the settings menu, and you should finally be able to select "Pass-through" as the audio option.

If your TV isn't detecting your soundbar as an Atmos-compatible eARC device, and it isn't showing "HDMI-eARC" as the audio output device, then something's very wrong.  It could be any of the following:

• you don't have CEC enabled in the settings
  • your sound bar doesn't truly support eARC and/or Atmos
  • the HDMI cable you're using to connect the sound bar to the TV's HDMI3(eARC) port isn't capable enough (i.e. it may be missing the "ethernet over HDMI" pins, or not support a fast enough bandwidth)
  • you may have some other device connected to one of the other TV's input ports (either directly, or indirectly through a switchbox or something) that improperly grounds/terminates HDMI pins 13, 15, 16, or 19, preventing the TV from correctly detecting and initialized the eARC sound device
0 Likes
EderTenorio
Apprentice
Options

Only soundbar "eArc" i can use Pass-through options or with soundbar "Arc" i can use Pass-through too?.... 

With sony HT-S700 i can use pass through? 

I think about buying HTS700 but I saw that there is only arc not eArc

0 Likes
keithfkelly
Journeyman
Options

ARC and eARC are completely separate/different protocols.  They are not compatible with each other.  Pass-through is only supported by eARC.

These Samsung Q*0T TVs only support eARC, not ARC.

0 Likes