Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anynet/HDMI-CEC and ARC not working

(Topic created on: 12-02-2019 03:55 PM)
Motta33
Journeyman
Options
Hi there,

I have this problem for over a month now.

I have a Samsung TV model UE49MU8005 connected to a Pioneer Receiver model VSX-LX302. Everyhting is well connected, as far as i know, TV firmware is 1210.8.

Tv is connected through a recent HDMI cable (UHD, ARC, etc etc) from the ARC output of the receiver to the ARC input of the TV (HDMI 4). Anynet is on.

When I disconnect the cable and connect it again, it starts identifying the source on the TV and it always says "unknown source" so i have to manually configure the tv remote. After it detects my Receiver, turns it on and off ok, and finishes the connection. Everything seems ok. But the problem starts here:

- The sound does not come out through HDMI from the TV if I select an app from the hub. Neither it does if it's connected to the antenna of the tv.

- I have sound from the cable box and from a PC both connected to the receiver.

- The receiver has CEC on but it the sound is not there. When I disconnect the CEC on the receiver and connect it again, it starts searching for CEC devices but the answer is "no CEC device"! Although the TV is connected of course..

- Anynet stops working too, it doesn't control my receiver when this is happening.

- This bug goes on and off. It works sometimes, other times it doesn't. It seems that theres is some problem in the TV that disconnects automatically HDMI CEC, and then it just doesn't come back.

- I changed cables, update firmwares, disconnected everything and waited, then connected again, called Samsung support and they just don't seem to know what I'm talking about... The problem always persist.

Frankly, I'm considering returning the TV. It's new and for the price it should NEVER cause such hassle.

This is about something that should work perfectly and is not doing so. And it seems that everyone at Samsung knows the problem exists, they just don't know how to solve it... (according to the countless discussions about this topic, at least at the US community..).

Please help!

Regards

327 REPLIES 327
JN99
Journeyman
Options

So after two weeks fighting with these HDMI-CEC/ARC issues, here's what I have experienced with my Samsung UN75NU800:

1) First issue was audio via ARC  suddenly stopped working.  That sent me in search of info and these threads.  Noted reciever was no longer recognized or shown as option for sound out.  Reset as noted above (unplugging) corrected the issue temporarily 

2) Meanwhile, after above was "corrected" discovered a new issue where the TV repeatedly sets receiver to BD/DVD (HDMI1) input.  

3) Audio via ARC stoped working again; receiver again not recognized.  Reset as noted and receiver again reconized and shown as output option for sound however, even when selected no sound from TV to receiver via ARC.  Have not been able to correct this issue.

So all this leads me to the conclusion that there is simply no means with these TVs to get HDMI-CEC/ARC working properly so I will  either need to A) connect TV to reciever via optical audio or B) discontinue use of TV for apps/atreaming and use an external device like a Roku or Firestick or stream from my DVD/Blu-ray player.  It's certainly not a big deal but extremely frustrating and annoying all the same. 

john022662
Pioneer
Options

Hi JN99

You have come to the correct realization much earlier than I did. Your best bet (in my opinion) is to use the Samsung TV as a monitor only and do not relay on ARC or CEC. The ARC will fail repeatably and you will lose ability to select the source of sound. The CEC will mess with setting on other equipment and cause them to not work properly.

I purchased a Universal Remote/HDMI Smart Switch called Caavo. Every component that I have it plugged into the Caavo, then the Caavo plugged into the AVR, then the AVR plugged into the TV. One of my components is a Roku which essentially has all the Apps that your Samsung TV has and many more (plus much easier to add and manage apps).

This set-up gives me 100% control from a single remote and easily switches the AVR on and off as I need it. This also switches the system from TV speakers to AVR speakers with no problems. And the best thing is, this worked for 2 weeks with no issues and I get the absolute best sound. Even if the ARC was working, if you had a movie that came to the Samsung TV App with anything above Dolby +, it could not be sent over the ARC. With the system I have now, Dolby Atmos and anything my receiver can handle is automatically set to the AVR and played.

Good Luck with all of this.

John

JN99
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for he info on Caavo - I had never heard of it and it definitely sounds like it's somethign worth looking into.

Viscious
Student
Options

I'm still having issues with getting sound to work via hdmi 4 arc. I have a Samsung q8fn 75 inch TV and a Nakamichi shockwafe Ultra 9.2 sound bar. The TV reicognizes the sound bar and I can control the volume levels with the tv's remote but I get no sound from content in the tv that is encoded in pcm or dolby digital. I am able to get sound whe  The content is encoded in dolby digital plus  Has anyone had this issue? Thanks  

jnemesh
Apprentice
Options
I am also having problems. For about a YEAR I had it working properly with ARC, with a Marantz SR7007 running in 2.1...chromecast plugged into the Marantz (so I could run the chromecast without the TV on for music), and a PS4 Pro plugged directly into the TV (UN65KS8000). App audio and PS4 audio would use ARC just fine. On Friday, I brought home a UBDM8500 4k blu-ray and plugged it in. Ever since then, no ARC and limited CEC control...it worked, briefly after pulling the power and resetting that way, then I lost it again, almost immediately.
mayhew24
First Poster
Options

I'm also having this issue with the QE55Q8DNAT and Onkyo amp.

jnemesh
Apprentice
Options

What solved my issue was PHYSICALLY disconnecting the power from the TV, waiting a couple of minutes, then plugging it back it.  Even doing the reset proceedure didn't work, you HAVE to disconnect the power manually.  When I plugged back in, CEC was working as normal again.  Good luck everyone!

john022662
Pioneer
Options

Hi jnemesh,

It is well known that a person can get teh CEC and ARC working with a "Manual Unplug of the TV". However, the TV fails again in 10 minutes to 3-4 days and this needs to be redone. In my case, I got very tired of doing this so built a work around that functons all the time.

Please let the group of people know if you find your TV ARC and CEC are ow robust and don't fail in the next several days. It may be that Samsung finally did a software update that solved this issue.

Best of Luck,

John 

jnemesh
Apprentice
Options

Yeah, it's going on 2 weeks now with no issues since the reboot.  However, since we don't really know what is causing it to fail in the first place, I can sympathize with you if it's not "staying" fixed!  Maybe the best solution is to use a switched outlet of some kind and periodically reboot the set on a regular basis?  You could use anything from a simple timer to something more sophisticated like Panamax's "BlueBolt" line of power conditioners to accomplish this...have the set timed to be rebooted every night at 2am or something.  Just a thought.

john022662
Pioneer
Options

Thanks for the reply. I may try it again. Essentially, I only have one input into my TV now and use a Caavo Control Center to control everthing. I have a BD/4K Player, X-Box, and Roku all plugged into the Control Center then plugged into an Onkyo AVR and then the AVR to the TV. 

I can easily control everything from the Caavo Control Center Remote and do not rely on the CEC or ARC of the TV at all.

One thing that may be helping you is..... It has been reported that as long as your AVR our Sound Bar is turned before turning on or off the TV, it seems to help. With an AVR this can be difficult if you want to just listed to the TV with the AVR off. With a Sound Bar, this could work always (as long as the Sound Bar is always on when the TV is on)