Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alexa with HW-Q990B & HW-Q930B

(Topic created on: 23-10-2022 01:59 PM)
Iggsta
First Poster
Options

Hiya Peeps from Australia here,

I’m just wondering if the Alexa function is working on anybody’s Samsung HW-Q990b or the HW-Q930B.

When I tested the Q930b in the store I bought it from it worked when I say “Alexa” or “Hey Alexa” it worked in the store. Now I checked if there was a seperate Alexa device near by that could detect my voice but there was none. I was right up to the Q930B Soundbar in store with my nose almost touching it and when I said “Alexa” or “Hey Alexa” it worked! I tested this in store until I was ready to buy.

I used the Samsung SmartThings App to to connect both the Soundbar and signed in and allowed my Amazon Alexa App/Account, Google Account to link and allow services to the Soundbar which was successfully done.

When I say “Alexa” or “Hey Alexa” this feature is still not working on the Soundbar. The mic on the Soundbar is on and everything.

I also did the revers and deleted the device from the Samsung SmartThings App, Google Home Apps and Amazon Alexa App, that’s including deregistering the Soundbar from my accounts and doing the process again, I did this several times for both models with no luck.

I Specifically bought this device specifically to be be able to control the Soundbar by Saying “Alexa” or “Hey Alexa” just like I would if I wanted to use “Google” or “Hey Google”.

I took back the Q930B to the store and when the agent in store connected his phone to my Q930B Soundbar in store it did not work for him. He was actually signed in to the Q930B in store, the one that was working. He has a Samsung phone to connect the Soundbar and I am using a iPhone 14Pro with all apps and services up to date.

What’s the point in having an On/Off Button for the Mic on top of the Soundbar? If Samsung are restricting access to us then I will never buy Samsung again!

Very Disappointed!

Suggestions anyone?

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11
Jonty
Student
Options

I have the 990b. Straight out of the box Alexa worked without even having the Alexa app on my phone. When I finished setting up the tv and soundbar. Alexa stopped working. Called Samsung they took control my tv and everting went off including the picture. A full reset did not bring Alexa back. This stated for a few days then randomly a smart hub notification appeared in smart things and started telling me I’d logged in.  Alexa worked perfectly for 4 days, I went out for the day and Alexa was gone again. Another full reset and no Alexa no smart hub notification and no clue what I did previously to get it working, it’s very frustrating and time consuming but so useful if you just want to listen to Amazon Music whilst looking at your Frame TV art. 

0 Likes
marc2629
Apprentice
Options

To get Alexa to work I had to find the devices tab at the bottom of the smart things app, select the soundbar and it opens a prompt to sign into Alexa there. I don't think this is the same as allowing the smart things app generally to sign into your Alexa account, you have to do it via the soundbar. Or that worked for me anyway... 

Jonty
Student
Options

Thank you that worked. Alexa is working 

0 Likes
marc2629
Apprentice
Options

Oh great I'm glad I was able to help someone. Instructions are absolutely woeful in the box and not a lot better on the online PDF!!

0 Likes
Giorgio1704
Student
Options

Could you explain it to me better? I didn't understand very well how to do it ... thank you very much

0 Likes
Jonty
Student
Options

Hi, from my experience which I think is also similar to other’s’ experiences, there is no one permanent method.. these are the factors that have worked for me. My experience is that Alexa needs really good WiFi and if your soundbar is paired with a tv both need to be on 5ghz channel WiFi.  Only your soundbar needs to be linked to smart things and from smart things linked to Amazon Alexa. Your soundbar needs to make a connection whilst It is on WiFi mode so make sure when trying to connect that your soundbar mode is WiFi not Bluetooth or hdmi.  Keep trying to connect and one time you will see a flash of little lights on the speaker and Alexa will work. The most she has worked for me is 7 days. Then nothing. I am now trying to connect again and have unplugged my soundbar and tv and will go through the same process again knowing that at some point Alexa will work. In the meantime you can play Anazob music direct from the Amazon music app, that’s what I do when Alexa is down. It would be great if Samsung could fix this and provide one method to connect but in my experience there is no one method. I hope that you are successful. Best wishes, Jonathan 

0 Likes
marc2629
Apprentice
Options

There's a devices tab at the bottom of the smart things app, go into there and then go into soundbar. If you've not previously connected alexa it should pop up asking you to do so. If you have and want to reconnect then try clicking the soundbar and then the three dots in the top right hand corner. Should see "Alexa Settings" in there. 

Although honestly you're not missing out on much by not having it. I'm unable to play spotify songs by asking Alexa due to some compatibility issue. Only Amazon music seems to work. Better off just using air play. 

0 Likes
marc2629
Apprentice
Options

There's a devices tab at the bottom of the smart things app, go into there and then go into soundbar. If you've not previously connected alexa it should pop up asking you to do so. If you have and want to reconnect then try clicking the soundbar and then the three dots in the top right hand corner. Should see "Alexa Settings" in there. 

Although honestly you're not missing out on much by not having it. I'm unable to play spotify songs by asking Alexa due to some compatibility issue. Only Amazon music seems to work. Better off just using air play

0 Likes
Giorgio1704
Student
Options

I have now tried everything ... first to connect it from the settings of smarthings then in the Alexa application, I tried in every way, removing the 2.4ghz line, connecting it only in wifi, but if I say ALEXA it does nothing !!

But it is connected to alexa because in the application I see it, I can set an alarm and it sounds so Boh ... in the end I have an echo plus next to it and I say to play music on the soundbar and it works well, I know I will continue like this

0 Likes