Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After the HW-Q90r eARC update, I did a little digging in the firmware files. Is there a reason that the HW-N950 didn't get eARC

(Topic created on: 18-10-2020 10:15 AM)
PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options

Top is the info.txt from the latest HW-N950, bottom is the text from the eARC update of HW-Q90r.

info_comparison.png

As you can see it's just generic Tizen. The hardware in both sound bards is basically identical, and whatever differences there are, shouldn't influence eARC which is basically a software feature.

Things get even more interesting when we open the HW-Q90r firmware file with a HEX editor. The HW-N950 (SAT-HKA18WWC) is literally mentioned in the file headers.

hex.png

I see this as a huge f*ck you from Samsung. There was an implicit promise that the HW-N950 would get eARC, and seeing how it seems to be literally baked in the firmware (it's just a Tizen distro with software features after all), it feels wrong doubly so.

Are we getting this update or not?

80 REPLIES 80
Shampoo
First Poster
Options

Hope is not all lost. There’s a new eArc audio converter on the market called Sharc, and made by Thenaudio. It’s getting good reviews on Amazon. Has anyone tried this with the N950? I’m seriously considering purchasing it. 

0 Likes
PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options

This is a no-solution and terrible. It's a good workaround though.

memorendon
First Poster
Options

hey man! did you end up buying it? Did it work? i have (the obvios ) HW-n950 with a qled tvq90r 65''.. my current setup is appletv 4k to soundbar, soundbar to arc (tho my tv is supposed to get the earc update... ) xbox connected directly to tv. wondering if this sharc would allow me to connect apple tv4k directly to the one connect box(tv) and get dolby atmos . did you end up buying it? 

0 Likes
tesbor
Explorer
Options

I had the HW-K950. I currently own the HW-N950 and am disappointed with the Samsung product again! I will not buy another Samsung device that is not future-proof! I will not be fooled by Samsung's deceptive marketing! Question for Samsung - will there be an update for the HW-N950 and when will it be an update - ARC -> eARC for the HW-N950? If there is no update by the end of the year, I will buy another soundbar and it will not be Samsung!

Maniasek
Explorer
Options

Still nothing ? I am from Poland, right now i have started to fight with the Samsung on that issue. I am writing  every day to Samsung support and asked them to pass information to technicians to solve the issue. What is more i have wrote an official letter to the Samsung in my country the letter will arrive on Monday to the Director of the communications so we will see how it will affect on that. 

PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options

No, there is not even a peep from Samsung here with a "no", which is even more frustrating. Their software division is either clearly understaffed/underbudgeted, or just bad.

Sash94
First Poster
Options

Just found this topic...still no update on whether it will be one day possible or not ?

Anybody tried flashing the N850/950 with a Q80/Q90 firmware ?

0 Likes
meerkat_mafia
Apprentice
Options

There has not been a single reply from any official Samsung Rep, pathetic customer service.

0 Likes
AdamPL
Student
Options

Pathetic. I went from liking my n950 to hating not only the soundbar but Samsung as a whole. With majority of current content being played straight from SmartTvs eARC is a must. 

0 Likes
wruby
Student
Options

The N950 has been headache after headache. I am by no means surprised to see they've reneged on this promised feature.

0 Likes