Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After the HW-Q90r eARC update, I did a little digging in the firmware files. Is there a reason that the HW-N950 didn't get eARC

(Topic created on: 16-05-2020 01:31 PM)
PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options

Top is the info.txt from the latest HW-N950, bottom is the text from the eARC update of HW-Q90r.

info_comparison.png

As you can see it's just generic Tizen. The hardware in both sound bards is basically identical, and whatever differences there are, shouldn't influence eARC which is basically a software feature.

Things get even more interesting when we open the HW-Q90r firmware file with a HEX editor. The HW-N950 (SAT-HKA18WWC) is literally mentioned in the file headers.

hex.png

I see this as a huge f*ck you from Samsung. There was an implicit promise that the HW-N950 would get eARC, and seeing how it seems to be literally baked in the firmware (it's just a Tizen distro with software features after all), it feels wrong doubly so.

Are we getting this update or not?

80 REPLIES 80
voodoochild1974
Pioneer
Options

Samsung tvs don't do dolby Vision, they are pushing hdr10 as their choice, its just to save money.

0 Likes
PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options
I understood the Soundbar, not the TVs. I get what you mean. The sound bar works with Dolby Vision as far as I have seen, the only real issue it has is eARC.
0 Likes
Terry-Reynolds
Apprentice
Options

please also update the Samsung HW-N950, in its day it was said that they would also support earc

Sonido: Samsung harman/kardon HW-N950 7.1.4
PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options
It is frustrating when you see that it's basically the same software platform for all of them, but they just don't try to enable it. If there was an beta program, I am certain that most of us would be glad to help.
PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options

I don't know if the lack of any communication from Samsung about this is bad or good :face-with-rolling-eyes:
Anybody else did any digging in the firmware files?

0 Likes
fnikols
Apprentice
Options

They are probably keeping quiet expecting this to go away.

I hope I'm wrong and that they are working on it.

PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options

They would probably retain a lot of us as customers if they did that. 

0 Likes
MKS28
Journeyman
Options
Any Samsung representative here in this community can confirm whether there will be a software update? Release note? I would like to see what other bugs would be fixed I have been waiting for almost a year.... getting impatient and have been thinking to sell this sound bar and buy another brand. Any good recommendations?
PrMinisterGR
Pioneer
Options
I guess they are just waiting for us to blindly shut up. Reviewers won't speak of this because otherwise Samsung would not send them review copies. This is disgusting.
0 Likes
meerkat_mafia
Apprentice
Options

Very disappointed, was also told this would be added to my N950.. otherwise i would have never purchased..

I'm in the same boat as everyone else, if this does not get added, then i have no trust in Samsung as a brand anymore..

No Samsung brand of any product will be purchased and i will tell as many people who will listen.

poor form Samsung..