Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1012.6 Firmware Update for hw-Q90R Soundbar

(Topic created on: 30-11-2020 01:07 PM)
next6000
Explorer
Options

Hi Guys,

I've performed the firmware update 1012.6 for my HW-Q90R soundbar via USB drive. (currently doesn't work with smarthings app)

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

Also how should be the list bellow if the firmware 1012.6 is correctly applied to all components  ?

Thank you :smiling-face:

M 0133.0
B 1012.6
H 0051.0
FD 0040.0
W 0240.0
S 0136.0
RR 0136.0
RL 0136.0

304 REPLIES 304
samroscoe
Journeyman
Options

Update is fine. Rears are definitely louder and everything sounds more differentiated.

Unfortunately HDR10+ pass through is still not working, even if it's advertised.

0 Likes
Seattletom
Student
Options

Thanks to all the posters in this forum. It was a huge help in getting what is simultaneously the most awesome and most frustrating tech product I’ve owned in quite some time to almost perfect performance. When the Samsung works...man it sounds great. 

This latest firmware update (USB as no SmartThings update was available) really made a difference on the rear and, I think, the side levels. FW versions are noted below from my setup. It’s really noticeable across all tracks - Atmos, DTS:X, DD5.1, etc. Samsung really delivered on this one...though I believe these features should have worked when I bought the soundbar in January. :smiling-face: 

But I have one problem that persists, which I didn’t see referenced previously in the thread. I do NOT have the “disconnect” issue that seemed to plague owners with the sub and rears. I do, however, have a crackling or static sound from my rears. It’s almost like radio static...is that a form of the disconnect issue? The static is NOT heard from soundbar itself or, as near as I can tell, from the subwoofer. It’s ONLY the rear speakers. 

Since it only affects the rears and I’m running the latest firmware, I feel like interference is the most likely culprit. The only things in our dedicated theater room are an LG OLED65B9PUA, the Samsung HW-Q90R, and an Xbox One. We use Linksys Velop Triband WiFi (2019 version, not the latest MX or AX models) and the nearest node is 40 feet away. I’ve tried unplugging the Xbox and even the controllers too, in case that might have been a cause for interference. I’ve moved the soundbar and sub around to various “line of sight” positions with the rears and haven’t been able to reduce the static. 

Do you guys think my focus on “interference” is right? Could it instead be something like an HDMI cable where the problem only manifests itself on the rears? That second option seems really unlikely to me as I figure a cable issue would cause issues on all channels. The reason I mention the cable is that the static can be reproduced whether I run Netflix from the LG TV or run Netflix from the Xbox One app. But the crackling/static from the rears does seems to be reduced or eliminated with 4K Blu-ray physical media. Because all these things run over the same cables, I zeroed in on interference. I figured physical media and streaming should have the same issues. Or maybe it’s lossy vs lossless audio? I’m a bit stumped. Thought I’d ask if anyone else has battled with that! Thanks! 

M 0133.0
B 1012.6
H 0051.0
FD 0040.0
W 0242.0
S 0136.0
RR 0136.0
RL 0136.0

okko
Journeyman
Options

The only time I hear crackling is when I FF a movie.  The crackling comes from the rears, but it doesn't always do it and doesn't particularly bother me as I don't often do that.

Other then that, I don't get the noise.

Kev

Janitorus
Pathfinder
Options

HW-Q80R here, but this is probably related. I also have this cracking when fast forwarding a movie (the moment it resumes again). This is using Plex on Nvidia shield with Atmos or DTS:X. Quite annoying, especially when playing movies on higher volumes. 

Also I hear a soft, single crack a couple of times the first couple of minutes (10-15) when first starting everything up, immediately going into a Nintendo Switch game. After a few minutes I hear a single crack. A few minutes later another one. Pretty sure I didn't get that on the previous firmware, so something is definitely going on here. 

Both devices are connected directly to the soundbar, different brand cables. 

0 Likes
Mandarb
Apprentice
Options

I have just run the update on my HW-Q90R and have the exact same FW versions as OP. Backspeakers were already on the 0136.0 FW, the subwoofer however was updated.

Have any of you tried if the audio delay has been improved? Particularly when using Bit Stream from an external source through the TV to the soundbar by ARC? I had just finished rewiring my setup by changing inputs so that my PS5 is directly connected to the soundbar. I'd hate to undo it to find out there was no improvement ^^

With this setup there is no delay when using Bit Stream from the PS5. The delay was very noticeable even with all compensation set to 0, and sadly there are no negative values available. Of course, now that the PS5 is not directly connected through the HDMI 4 port on my Q90R TV, 4K60 HDR @ 4:4:4 is not supported anymore and chroma is reduced to 4:2:2. It's not the end of the world as I will be hardpressed to notice 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 in game content and movies don't use it anyways. 4K120 4:2:0 on HDMI 4 should be possible but doesn't work, but it appears that this is a PS5 limitation as I've seen Xbox Series X users reporting it as working.

Anyways, I'm rambling. Limited 2.1 support will probably not be possible on the soundbar due to hardware constraints, I suppose. But experiencing no delay with an external source in Bit Stream through the TV would be really neat.

Soussi
Journeyman
Options

When fresh out the box using earc i didnt have any lipsync issue (decoder, xboxsx , ps5,..). The only issue i had was that the woofer was crackling but that was because of the modem/router.

Ps: all my devices are hooked up on the tv or on a hdmi splitter. Only earc is connected to only the soundbar.

0 Likes
Mandarb
Apprentice
Options

Thank you for your reply. However, are your devices using Bit Stream or Linear PCM? I have no issues using PCM with all devices routed through the TV, Bit Stream is noticeably delayed.

0 Likes
Soussi
Journeyman
Options

Yess all hdmi ports are on Bit stream. I use a LG CX Tv model

0 Likes
leursjes
Apprentice
Options

Good point Woosb,

We found that guide also for the Samsung Harman Kardon HW-Q70R, however my USB stick does not fit in the service port. Any idea how to upgrade this soundbar, while the update 1012.6 is not available via SmartThings.

0 Likes
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@leursjes wrote:

Good point Woosb,

We found that guide also for the Samsung Harman Kardon HW-Q70R, however my USB stick does not fit in the service port. Any idea how to upgrade this soundbar, while the update 1012.6 is not available via SmartThings.

Let me think for a moment.... hmmmm... maybe using another USB stick? 😜

0 Likes