Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1012.6 Firmware Update for hw-Q90R Soundbar

(Topic created on: 23-11-2020 02:16 PM)
next6000
Explorer
Options

Hi Guys,

I've performed the firmware update 1012.6 for my HW-Q90R soundbar via USB drive. (currently doesn't work with smarthings app)

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

Also how should be the list bellow if the firmware 1012.6 is correctly applied to all components  ?

Thank you :smiling-face:

M 0133.0
B 1012.6
H 0051.0
FD 0040.0
W 0240.0
S 0136.0
RR 0136.0
RL 0136.0

304 REPLIES 304
next6000
Explorer
Options

As I understand from other posts, there is no way to force update of "W" from 0240.0 to 0242.0; just need need to pray and hope that samsung realease a new FW or last-chance need to send soundbar to servicecenter (this way to operate by samsung doesn't make sense for me) anyway I see that some here has updated and still have 0240.0 others has 0241 and 242, what I'm thinking is maybe some soundbar has different networkcard manufactors and some of those they don't need to be updated, but for that should answer samsung. I confirm this update has finally fixed issues with rear/sorround speakers now is like a revolution for transmission with 5.1 channels and also with stereo is definitely improved in adaptive mode.

0 Likes
samroscoe
Journeyman
Options

Didn't update yet, but is HDR10+ pass through finally working? 

0 Likes
tdv27
Explorer
Options

Hello Woosb, After I update the Soundbar, can I take the USB Thumb drive out, than update the Sub and Rears or do I keep the Thumb drive in the Soundbar thru the whole process?

0 Likes
Woosb
Journeyman
Options

Hi tdv27. To my understanding the USB only updates the Soundbar. After that the soundbar handles the update of the sub and rears. So don't think the USB needs to be attached after the Soundbar has updated.

However, I don't think the USB stick causes any issues when you start the sub+rears update process.
Samsung's instructions: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/tv-audio-video/updating-the-samsung-series-9-hw-q90r-soundbar/ 

YourMainDude
Explorer
Options

@CornelPalm

The "W" module is in the sound bar and should be updated during the flashing process

0 Likes
Solution
YourMainDude
Explorer
Options

@next6000

That's a very good point.  For the record, my sound bar was having issues where the unit was locked in at the original firmware version from a year ago + issues with wireless connectivity.  As a result, my unit was repaired at the factory service center in NJ.  The main board and the wireless hardware were both replaced in June.  This may account for why my unit reports a 0242.0 module version.  Incidentally, my unit already hit 0242.0 with the previous update package... 1010.5

I assume my wireless board is the latest version and would venture a guess that others that have reported 0242.0 have later hardware versions in their sound bars as well... either due to later production runs or repair events.

next6000
Explorer
Options

@YourMainDude thank you for sharing your personal experience, now that make sense to understand why the "numbers" were different, can I ask you if the soundbar wi-fi issue was with 2.4ghz band or with 5Ghz band and what happened exactly. Thank you in advance 😉

YourMainDude
Explorer
Options

@next6000 My wireless connectivity issues were related to the connections between the bar and the satellites ( sub & rears ) whereby the sub and/or rears would randomly not connect when the system was powered up (woke up) and random disconnections during use... during movie watching.  To be clear, connecting the sound bar to my home's wireless network was never at issue.  Music streaming services always worked; Smarthings could always see my bar on the network and I was able to change settings thru the mobile app.  The bigger issue that I had was my particular sound bar was frozen at the factory level when new and attempting to update via Smarthings or via USB never worked.  The combination of that issue along with the random disconnections of the satellites prompted the service ticket this past summer.  The random connectivity issues were widely reported across AV forums and in here since the release of this system and firmware updates from Samsung in late 2019 and early 2020 were specifically targeted to fixing those issues.  Problem was, my hardware wouldn't update. It was locked for some unknown reason.  When I received my sound bar back from the NJ service center, it was still down level but updated to 1010.5 smoothly... so the main board replacement was obviously successful.

Hope this helps...

YourMainDude
Explorer
Options

@next6000

My wireless disconnection issues were between the bar & satellites (sub & rears); not a WiFi problem between my bar and my home network.   That part was always solid even though the bar would never update over the network (self update or forced via Smarthings). 

okko
Journeyman
Options

I'm not going to stress about my "W" version still being at 0240.0 as I can't remember having issues with my sub / satellites disconnecting.

I may actually have to lower the level on my rears now as they may be a little too loud for the ambient sounds lol.  Either way, good problem to have.

Kev