Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 04-05-2020 09:48 AM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

Go to solution
519 REPLIES 519
morrison22
First Poster
Options

Hi. I have a brand new Q90T 65” TV and a Q80R soundbar. Both have latest firmware installed. Hdmi 1 on tv is hooked to an appletv 4K using a belkin 4/8k ultra high speed hdmi cable. Hdmi 3 is connected to the soundbar via eARC using the original hdmi cable that came with the soundbar.

The issue is when I navigate the menu in my appletv, the menu sounds fade in unless I am repeatedly moving the selection around in the menu. Another example is when I pause then unpause a video, the first second of playback is silent, then the audio kicks in and all is well. How can I correct this so the sound produced by the appletv 4K is always heard?  I tried using wifi instead of hdmi and it works, but then I lose the ability for Dolby Atmos. So I rather use hdmi.

The same issue happens in the menus of my Nintendo Switch when it was on hdmi 2 on the tv. To fix it, I moved the switch to hdmi 1 of the sound bar and the menu navigating sounds are now audible 100% of the time.

I exchanged the soundbar for a new one. Same issue. I don’t know how to fix this. Even bixby fades in when it speaks (I can’t hear the first syllable of a sentence.). It works if it's coming out of the tv speakers though, but not the soundbar. 

It’s like any sound sent to the sound bar when there is no sound at all has this fade in effect applied where it takes a second before u can hear sound. Then volume is consistent til it’s silent again then I have the issue again. Most noticeable when swiping between apps on the appletv menu, or the sound from opening or minimizing an app, or when resuming a paused video.   

Please help!!!

0 Likes
CB-33
Explorer
Options
Well I have tried everything & still get no scrolling on Q90R soundbar saying Dolby Atmos, nor eArc.
I have checked these settings
M - 0128.0
B - 1010.5 
H - 0051.0 
FD - 0040.0 
W - 0240.0
S - 0136.0
RR - 0136.0
RL -  0136.0...& they are all matching on my Soundbar, I have purchased an 8K 2.1 Hdmi Cable 48mbps Ethernet, firstly I connected direct from Sony 4K player to Hdmi port 1 Soundbar, played a Dolby Atmos movie..NO ATMOS SCROLLING ??!! I then swoped it over & connected it to Hdmi Arc of soundbar to Hdmi Arc of One connect box..still NO ATMOS SCROLLING or eArc ?! I have looked for Hdmi + setting on Tv as someone mentioned here, & its not there on my QE559FN Tv...so I give up with this latest update..😡 Can only assume my Tv or other Equipment just not compatible or it needs an update too...so come on SAMSUNG..WHEN ??
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Why are you guys having do many issues? Get atmos on my Q90R going through my Q90R soundbar and that's using the tv Netflix app also.

I cannot understand why you guys are having issues? The soundbar has eARC.

Here are photos showing I have atmos scrolling on soundbar. I just dont know why you guys are having trouble when it's so straight forward?

My xbox one X gets atmos. My nvida shield gets atmos. My xbox is directly in soundbar. the photo of Netflix is the tv app showing I have atmos

20200621_120503.jpg

20200621_120502.jpg

20200621_120500.jpg

20200621_120551.jpg

0 Likes
hv25
Apprentice
Options

Try the following on your Sony 4k Blu Ray player.......

Follow the steps below to turn off the Audio Settings:

1. On the supplied remote, press the HOME button.
  2. Select Setup.
  3. Under Setup, select Audio Settings.
  4. Depending on your model, select BD Secondary Audio, Digital Music Enhancer, or BD Audio Mix Setting.
  5. Select Off.

FYI....Sony 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc™ players do not support streaming Dolby Atmos® content through on-board applications such as Prime Video™ and Netflix®. The devices will process and output Dolby Atmos signals only from Blu-ray Disc media.

mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@denodan wrote:

Here are photos showing I have atmos scrolling on soundbar. I just dont know why you guys are having trouble when it's so straight forward?

The problem is that many don't understand how things work, try to connect things in a random way and then blame Samsung because it doesn't work...

To get eARC: your TV must have eARC support, it must be enabled, the TV and the soundbar must be connected together using a decent HDMI cable, both ends connected to an ARC HDMI port (on the TV and on the soundbar). If it still doesn't work, remove the power cord from both the TV and the soundbar, then plug it again (to force a new handshake between the TV and the soundbar) and see. Note: Samsung QLED TVs don't support eARC yet.

To get Atmos: the easiest way is to connect an Atmos enabled source device (Nvidia Shield TV, Xbox, Bluray player, etc.) to one of the non-ARC HDMI cables of the soundbar, ensuring passthrough is enabled on the source device and the contents you're watching have an Atmos soundtrack.

Otherwise, use the TV internal app or connect your Atmos enabled source device to your TV, but then:

- the TV must be connected to the soundbar through ARC ports

- to get lossless Atmos, eARC should be working properly (for lossy formats, including Atmos, standard ARC is sufficient)

- if using the internal app, such an internal app must be Atmos enabled, HDMI passthrough should be enabled on the TV and you should play contents with an Atmos soundtrack

- if using an external device connected to the TV, it must be Atmos enabled, it must have HDMI passthrough enabled, the TV must support Atmos passthrough from its HDMI port where the source device is connected to the (e)ARC port (not all the TVs do support this), passthrough should be enabled on the TV as well and you must play contents with an Atmos soundtrack

If playing contents through an app (on the TV or on a source device), also check whether enabling passthrough in the app itself is required, in addition to checking the TV an device settings. Kodi is such an example.

Some apps may not support passthrough or at least may not support it with your TV/device (for instance: i couldn't get VLC to passthrough on my Fire TV Stick yet, while Kodi, Netflix, Amazon Prime Video work).

This is the whole story. If it doesn't work, the problem must lie in one of the spots of the above chain.

HoHum
First Poster
Options

Are you sure about the W?

Mine says:

W- 0240.0

0 Likes
CB-33
Explorer
Options
So just to clarify then :
My Samsung QLED QE559FN Tv is not eArc Supported so thats why I will not see Dolby Atmos scroll across the Soundabar..correct ? However my Sony UBP X800 4K player is apparently as will be my Nvidia Shield Tv Box & as I understand from reading the many threads on here if I use an HDMI 2.1 cable & connect directly to Soundbar with these 2 devices then should I or should I not see Dolby Atmos displayed on Soundbar because as it stands I don't !
I know this firmware update seems to frustrate People who have no issues whatsoever on this thread, I am merely just trying to etablish & find a happy medium as to why it appears even folk whose equipment is not necessarily eArc compatible seem to have had no issues with this update & the features it provides. Also please bear in mind even though I like to think I am reasonably tech minded in set ups of Tv's, settings etc..not all of us are top techies when it comes to the in depth understanding of how signals pass through certain cables, devices to give appropriate sound & so on.
0 Likes
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@CB-33 wrote:
So just to clarify then :
My Samsung QLED QE559FN Tv is not eArc Supported so thats why I will not see Dolby Atmos scroll across the Soundabar..correct ?

If you have read my previous message, you're problably joking... unless you're talking about LOSSLESS Atmos (which is quite unlikely, if you're reproducing contents through your TV, so probably through a streaming app), missing eARC support from the TV has nothing to do with missing Atmos logo scrolling on the soundbar.

Check your TV connection and settings, as I stated above. And ensure you're playing something which has an Atmos soundtrack with an app of your TV that supports Atmos.

@CB-33 wrote:
Soundabar..correct ? However my Sony UBP X800 4K player is apparently as will be my Nvidia Shield Tv Box & as I understand from reading the many threads on here if I use an HDMI 2.1 cable & connect directly to Soundbar with these 2 devices then should I or should I not see Dolby Atmos displayed on Soundbar because as it stands I don't !

If the Nvidia Shield TV is connected to port HDMI 1 or HDMI 2 on the soundbar, if you're using an app on the Sheld which is Atmos enabled, if the contents you're playing have an Atmos soundtrack (and it's the selected one, of course) and if HDMI passthrough is enabled on the Nvidia Shield TV (I don't own the device, but it's likely that it has to be enabled on its audio settings), THEN you should see your soundbar recognize Dolby Atmos contents.

@CB-33 wrote:
I know this firmware update seems to frustrate People who have no issues whatsoever on this thread, I am merely just trying to etablish & find a happy medium as to why it appears even folk whose equipment is not necessarily eArc compatible seem to have had no issues with this update & the features it provides. Also please bear in mind even though I like to think I am reasonably tech minded in set ups of Tv's, settings etc..not all of us are top techies when it comes to the in depth understanding of how signals pass through certain cables, devices to give appropriate sound & so on.

This firmware update has nothing to do with a correct Dolby Atmos setup, at least with a lossy Dolby Atmos, which is the one used by streaming apps.

Not all people are "techy", but these concepts have been expressed repeatedly even on this discussion, as well as in other ones in this forum.

0 Likes
vladlenas
Apprentice
Options
The problem is not solved until the end. ((
I just switched to another clip in YouTube and the sound disappeared in the soundbar. I turned off everything from the remote control and turned it on, again the loss of the image. This was repeated two times, only the reset soundbar helps.
Amazing soundbar .....
0 Likes
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@vladlenas wrote:
The problem is not solved until the end. ((
I just switched to another clip in YouTube and the sound disappeared in the soundbar. I turned off everything from the remote control and turned it on, again the loss of the image. This was repeated two times, only the reset soundbar helps.
Amazing soundbar .....

How can you say for sure the problem lies on the soundbar and not on the source device?

Never had similar problems with my devices (old Sharp TV connected with optical out, Amazon Fire TV Stick connected to the soundbar, LG BD390 Bluray player connected to the soundbar, Asus O!Play TV Pro connected to the TV).

0 Likes