Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 08-12-2020 11:57 PM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

New update is live: 1012.6

0 Likes
Ivan1979
Pathfinder
Options

Thanks ! I'm at work now, cant see.. Did you notice something new ? 

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

Not yet. For now I'm trying to check version of each component, but for some reason holding volume control button no longer works. After holding it "ID SET" text appears on the soundbar instead of firmware version of each component.

mauromol
Pioneer
Options

You have to hold down the gear key while the soundbar is off to check the firmware version.

There's already a discussion about the new firmware version at: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/audio-video/1012-6-firmware-update-for-hw-q90r-soundbar/td-p/231...

0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

Dude, I literally just wrote that it doesn't work now. I didn't say I don't know how to check it.

0 Likes
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

You talked about the volume control button, while I said you must use the gear button.

On my remote, they are two different buttons...

mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

You are right, my bad. Apologise.

HW-Q80R with 1012.6 update:

M - 0128.0 ---> 0133.0
B - 1010.5 ---> 1012.6
H - 0051.0 ---> 0051.0
FD - 0040.0 ---> 0040.0
W - 0033.0 ---> 0033.0
S - 0033.0 ---> 0033.0

I noticed that in SmartThings app the input signal is no longer marked as "NULL" but it shows D.IN/HDMI(ARC) as it should.

0 Likes
MGTC
Student
Options

Hi guys. As we are still waiting for an update for TV's from 2019 (q70r mine) in order to get the eARC compatibility. I recently bought a fire tv stick 4k with Dolby atmos. Once connected to the hdmi in on the soundbar I've got the Dolby Atmos working well but the quality of the video is not as good as the quality my tv gives me. So I tried connecting the fire tv directly to the hdmi in on my tv and letting the sound going through the hdmi arc to my soundbar. Surprisingly I got Dolby atmos as well using this way (I thought the pass through was not active as my tv needed an eArc port). So my questions are: 

1.- am I really getting Dolby atmos even if my tv doesn't have eArc compatibility yet?

2.- how can I get a better video quality if I want to use my fire tv stick directly on the soundbar hdmi port.?

Thanks.

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

I have my Nvida Shield and Xbox One hooked up to soundbar, get great picture on both. I use my Xbox One as a bluray atmos player and the few atmos blurays I have, picture and atmos sound is great.

It is atmos,  but compressed atmos as its only hdmi 2, sounds great all the same. No soundbar yet is hdmi 2.1

mauromol
Pioneer
Options

You have some confusion in mind with regards to the HDMI port type and lossy vs non lossy Atmos.

@MGTC I don't think there's any good reason for which Fire TV Stick contents look better when connected to the TV rather than to the soundbar, apart perhaps for HDR10+ (which should be supported by both the Samsung TV and the Fire TV Stick, while the soundbar apparently does not support HDR10+ passthrough, but I'm not sure it's that great improvement and you'll get it only on selected Amazon Prime Video contents anyway). Apart from this you'll get Dolby Atmos on the soundbar even with plain ARC because streaming services use lossy Atmos which can be sent through ARC HDMI ports as well.

0 Likes