Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 12-10-2020 09:03 AM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
Meandmydog
Student
Options

Hi, yes used Smart Things. 

I'll give USB a try this evening then. 

Initially, the system was in shop mode because it was ex-demo and Samsung had set up their next version in the store. I did manage to get it out of shop mode but it's just not reliable. I've just checked it and the blue lights remain on solid but the sub and rears are on and off intermittently. 0133.0 keeps changing to 0000.0 on the RL.

I'll try USB, then contact Samsung and if those can't resolve it, it's RTV 😔

Shame because when it works it's pretty awesome 😊 

Thanks for the help and advice 👍

0 Likes
SesioNLive
First Poster
Options

I've just bought the HW-Q90R soundbar. 

Either mine was already at factory with the latest software version or it updated automatically via the SmartThings App.

Sadly my Subwoofer is loosing the connection like every single day!! It stays at red light. While the rear speakers seems to turn on as expected. (Blue light)

When it happens, it doesn't even help to power cycle the Subwoofer. (After a power cycle, the light blinks SLOW BLUE, but still doesn't connect. )

The only thing that works is the annoying fact that I need to both rear speakers and the subwoofer into the pairing mode. (Fast blinking blue light) and then on the soundbar initiate the SET-ID function. Afterwards all works fine, I can listen to movies or music for hours just fine. Next day same story.. subwoofer stays RED yet again 😞

Software:

M-0128.0
B-1010.5
H-0051.0
FD-0040.0
W-0240.0
S-0136.0
RR-0136.0
RL-0136.0

0 Likes
Meandmydog
Student
Options

Are you turning it off by putting it in standby, or by removing the power to it?

To be honest, the £ we pay for this equipment it shouldn't be so hard to get it working. I would go back to the shop you got it from and ask for support. 

First though:

Are you rebooting in order (power to sub first, then rear speakers, then soundbar)?

Is there anything that might intetupt signal nearby? E.g router?

Where are you located?

0 Likes
SesioNLive
First Poster
Options

I'm putting it to stand by via remote control. All speakers have power plugged at all times.

Well I have many WiFi-Devices in my apartment. Starting from alexa and many smart home devices. 
All the connection are handled by one router and one repeater. But yeah no other devices aside of the Subwoofer have any connection issues. The rear speakers stay connected to the soundbar as expected. Also the Subwoofer is also obviously close to the soundbar. 

The soundbar's WiFi internet connection is also working well. 

As to your first thoughts.

I don't think that the order of power cycle matters.
I just put the speakers into pairing mode in the following order:
1) Subwoofer hold button until red light goes off and blink fast blue
2) Rear 1 hold button until red light goes off and blink fast blue
3) Rear 2 hold button until red light goes off and blink fast blue
4) Now I can visually see all 3 speakers blinking fast blue
5) Hold the "up" button on the soundbar remote until SET-ID comes on the displays
6) All speakers stop blinking and become stable blue light, now all works as expected
7) When I stop watching tv or movie, I use remote to turn the setup off (eg. eARC)
😎 Next day I use remote control to turn on soundbar, now the Subwoofer tends to stay red and never turns on. (Not even after I repeat sound on -> soundbar off etc)

0 Likes
Meandmydog
Student
Options

Ok, I have to be honest, I'm not an expert on here but I did manage to get mine all working with help from this thread which I read from start to finish over 3 hours! It was worth it though. The things that stood out most to me were:

* Regional specific equipment and firmware checks.

* Cold boot power cycling in sequence

* Firmware update and subsequent update for sub and rears by holding the down button for 6 seconds.

In the end, I used a USB to reinstall the 1010.5 update and then updated the sub and rears, followed by a cold boot cycle. This solved my issue. If these aren't working for you though, I would use your consumer rights and get your vendor to fix. 

That's all the help I can offer I'm afraid 🤗

0 Likes
SesioNLive
First Poster
Options

How do you reinstall the firmware via USB-Stick?

I've tried it with 2 USB-Sticks and it didn't work.
(eg. no update process on the Soundbar displayed)

I've downloaded the firmware, unpacked to the usb-stick.  Then put it into the soundbar and reboot it.

Afterwards I do see that the usb-stick is flashing but no update is triggered even after 5 minutes.

0 Likes
Meandmydog
Student
Options

Hi, yes I had the same issue, nothing was displayed on the unit. I assumed it hadn't worked but then I followed it with a sub and rear update and a cold boot and something must've changed because it finally forced my sub and rear to update. Yours are already at 136 but I noticed mine went to 0000 when the red light was on. 

They all work now so I feel that something sequential about the updates and the booting resolved my issue. 

You can't rule out a fault though, although that would be frustrating. 

I no longer need to power up sequentially at all. 

I hope you get it working 🤞

0 Likes
ralle3K
First Poster
Options

You have to read the chapter in the manual where they say that you have to connect the boxes to the soundbar. i have had the situation at the beginning as well.

0 Likes
TheBigBoss20
Journeyman
Options
Has anybody tried updating the Q80R models to the latest firmware update? I tried this yesterday and would like confirm my versions numbers if anybody has also done so too. Numbers displayed for me are:

M-0133.0
B-1012.6
H-0051.0
FD-0040.0
W-0033.0
S-0033.0

0 Likes
YourMainDude
Explorer
Options

@SesioNLive 

I lived with what you are going through for over a year.  In the end, I had to return my sound bar to the NJ service center where they replaced the main board (think of it like the motherboard...) and the wireless module.  That fixed my random disconnection issues with both the sub & rears.

I'd also like to add to this discussion that 1012.6 firmware in on the Samsung support pages, and my module versions table looks like this:

After the USB update:

M 0133.0
B 1012.6
H 0051.0
FD 0040.0
W 0242.0
S 0136.0
RR 0136.0
RL 0136.0

0 Likes