Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 30-09-2020 10:32 PM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@garg0n wrote:

Hi, I have Prime & Netflix on the Firestick 4k, the built-in TV apps & on the Sky Q apps. I have never seen that Atmos logo on any Netflix title on any of these viewing methods. In particular, considering SKY Q is plugged straight in to the bar, I would have assumed that I might be able to get some kind of Atmos/DV content on SKY but maybe those apps don't offer it like that? I'll have to investigate that.

I just made a quick search, so I may be wrong, but from this recent post it seems like the Netflix app on Sky Q does not support Atmos (yet): https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Sky-Q/When-will-Netflix-Dolby-Atmos-be-available-via-Qbox/td-p/3360060

I don't know about your TV, is it supposed to support Atmos itself? If not, it's like the embedded apps don't allow you to select an Atmos track anyway, even if your soundbar would be able to decode it if it were passed through. Mine is just a guess, though.

0 Likes
Stewart_T
Apprentice
Options

Im losing my mind, had the Q90R soundbar since the day it came out and never got any Atmos from it.... So I have a Samsung UE65KS90000 connected to the One box, in HDMI 3 on this box I have a 4k Firestick and in the ARC connection have the fastest HDMI cable I could buy (https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003VL5P2S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which is connected to the ARC connector on the Q90R soundbar.

So I go to the Amazon Prime application and play Jack Ryan, check that audio is Dolby Atmos and well you would think it would work.

Nothing scrolling on the soundbar to say ATmos, its showing as connected via D.IN/HDMI (ARC) on the smart things app and then hit the button on the remote comes up TV ARC on the soundbar display.

What am I missing ? Wrong cable, setting on the TV? Firestick settings for Audio I have set as best available

TV - HDMI format - Bitsream / Audio Format - Dolby Digital.

I dont have a xbox, Apple TV, Nvidia Shield etc setup and nothing else connected apart from the firestick.

Am I missing something? Or is it just that this Q90R is the worst thing ever, been a pain since I bought it with firmware updates, connections losing speakers etc...

0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options

Don't know why you guys are having lip sync issues or cannot get atmos. Its easy

0 Likes
garg0n
First Poster
Options

@Stewart_T it might be the cables. These are what I use:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B081NXV3ZR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and have:

Firestick 4k into TV HDMI > TV (Arc) > Q90R (Arc) 

and not had any problems getting Atmos on Jack Ryan on the Firestick. Imo the Q90R, when set up and performing correctly is fantastic if not for a slightly quiet sub. It can be a bit tricky setting it all up the right way sometimes though, and 1 weakness in the setup ie wrong cables, not enabling enhanced HDMI functions on the TV, wrong settings on a device be it Tv, Soundbar, Shield, KODI etc... can mean that we don't get full audio/visual functionality. Imo a lot of the problems I read in forums like these are due to the issues I've mentioned although faulty equipment is also a possible issue too...

I don't know anything about the One Box or the best way to set that up but maybe try plugging the Firestick straight into the TV just to test if you can get Atmos then?

Cheers

0 Likes
Meandmydog
Student
Options

Hi,

Thanks to all the great advice here, I've managed to get this system working but with the issue that when it's turned off overnight from the remote, the sub and rears no longer work though they remain paired. Rebooting sub, then rears, then soundbar gets it working again. I see someone on here is doing this onerous process via an Alexa enabled extension lead which makes sense but must mean I'm not the only one?

I note S,RR,RL are all showing 0133.0 on the firmware scroll since I held the down button to update. M through W numbers seem fine and I have 0242.0. 

I can't tell if the no sound issue is caused by the 0133.0 issue or if there's any other resolution. I have till Saturday to fix it, before hubby takes it back to Curry's in a snit ☺️. 

(Based in Wales, UK and have /XU model with Samsung UE55NU7670 TV with ARC only)

Any help would be much appreciated.

0 Likes
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@Meandmydog wrote:

Thanks to all the great advice here, I've managed to get this system working but with the issue that when it's turned off overnight from the remote, the sub and rears no longer work though they remain paired.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "turned off overnight"? Do you disconnect the power (with some external switch or by removing the plug)? Or do you simply switch the soundbar off with the remote (and hence all its components go to stand-by)?

And what do you mean by "the sub and rears no longer work though they remain paired"? Do their back leds switch on to blue (but no sound is output) or do they stay red?

0 Likes
Meandmydog
Student
Options

Hi, thanks for responding. 

I'm turning the unit off with the remote - so yes, standby mode. All lights on the sub and rear speakers stay solid blue. It's a loss of sound, not connection I think.

I have to fix it by removing the power supply and rebooting the sub first, then rear speakers, then the soundbar.

0 Likes
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@Meandmydog wrote:

I'm turning the unit off with the remote - so yes, standby mode. All lights on the sub and rear speakers stay solid blue. It's a loss of sound, not connection I think.

It's very strange, never happened to me. Solid blue should mean that connection is working, so sound MUST be output. I'd suggest you to contact your local Samsung customer care.

Meandmydog
Student
Options

Ok, thanks I will. 

I'm still not sure about the 0133.0 readings or how to get them to 0136.0 like everyone else's seems to be.

Thanks for taking the time to help 😊

0 Likes
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@Meandmydog wrote:

I'm still not sure about the 0133.0 readings or how to get them to 0136.0 like everyone else's seems to be.

Did you update using SmartThings app? I'm not sure it will make any difference, however you may try to carefully follow the USB update method described in the manual and on Samsung website (it's a bit laborious) to see if the S,RR and RL get updated. Use the firmware update downloaded from your local Samsung website.

0 Likes