Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 16-06-2020 06:02 PM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
YourMainDude
Explorer
Options

If you're stuck on the earliest of firmware versions, I'd recommend that you get Samsung to gin up a Service Ticket... no matter how long it's been.

Here's what SmartThings showed for nearly a year ...

Screenshot_20190719-155932.jpg

Hello,

This is for everyone following this thread.

I own one of the first 90R system builds and like many, have had a whole host of issues.

Here are the big ones:

1)The sound bar was stuck on firmware 601.2 and neither the USB or SmartThings app would recognize or apply an update; there had been 2 updates since release.

2)The sub and satellites would intermittently drop off forcing me to cycle their power (essentially unplug them...) when it came time to spin some movies or shows from my BD player.  There were occasions where the sub & sats would lose connection in the middle of use, but that was rare.

3)Samsung support would repeatedly make me jump through hoops to reset/insert the USB stick/etc etc etc whenever I contacted them - and I did so more times than I care to admit.  Their troubleshooting steps were completely useless and wasted my time.  They would also generate case numbers that either disappeared or were closed with no notification.

Lastly, they promised follow-up via email or a return phone call numerous times that didn't materialize.

Considering the price-point of this top-line model, I've been completely shocked how poorly executed my support experiences have been.  Until recently...

I was finally granted a service ticket and had the unit shipped to the third-party N.J. service center.  They turned my repair around very quickly.  They diagnosed the issue as "Won't recognize network" - which seems strange to me but whatever.  They replaced both the WiFi module and the Main PCBA (think of it like the motherboard).  The unit was returned to me with 1008 firmware and I promptly ran SmartThings and it updated smoothly.  It's now at 1010.5.

I ran through the Test Tones mode - that's a nice feature btw - and all was good.  I then checked the complete firmware module status and the sub & satellites were still at 133.  The update process for those is important to do after you update the sound bar's firmware and it's not automatic - from what I can gather.  Following those manual steps carefully is important and pay attention the red LEDs on each unit.  Once the update process starts, the sub gets it first, followed by the  L rear and finally the R rear.  Don't be in a hurry, it takes a good 5 to 10 minutes to completely updates all three components.

M - 0128.0

B - 1010.5

H - 0051.0

FD - 0040.0

W - 0240.0

S - 0136.0

RR - 0136.0

RL - 0136.0

I'll report back on how my particular sub & satellites disconnection issues have fared ...

0 Likes
shinzune
Apprentice
Options

Ciao ragazzi ma ha voi come suona il suono dts HD master  attraverso il lettore uhd, io lo sento basso rispetto al Dolby,  con la precedente soundbar Yamaha lo sentivo benissimo 

0 Likes
skipperab
Explorer
Options

Sorry for this question but can anybody tell me what DAC the Q80/Q/90 soundbars have? 

0 Likes
NoXs4u
Journeyman
Options

Just did USB update. My HW-Q90R states;

M - 0128.0

B - 1010.5

H - 0051.0

FD - 0040.0

W - 0241.0

S - 0136.0

RR - 0136.0

RL - 0136.0

So, W-241.0 seems like newer version. Did you miss something or am I doing something wrong?

YourMainDude
Explorer
Options

I updated with SmartThings, not USB.  That it is interesting that you have a W 241.0

0 Likes
stoneagem
Explorer
Options

Does the Q90r support multichannel PCM after this update via eARC?

0 Likes
emeric42
Explorer
Options

Something happened to me recently. I have been in FW 1007.9 since August 2019 and all the system was working perfectly with no issue. 2 days ago the Subwoofer stopped working without any obvious reason and despite it was still connected (fixe blue led and Fw version displayed on the bar).

Given all the issues reported on thise thread i never wanted to update to the latest firmware, but since the sub stopped working i decided to give it a try. 

I updated through the Smarthing App, it took a good 10/15 mins. After the soundbar finished the update, i launched (forced!) the update of the Sub and satellite, but it did not update anything (they were already and stayed in version 0.136).

But then i was incredibly surprised that the Sub started to work again 🙂 Even if i had to admit that to me it has lost half of its power. Bass are still there, but they are more subtle (even at +6). At least it makes my wife happy that we will not wake up the kids (we watch movies with volume set at 10% the evening by the way)

Here is my Fw version (i am in Czech Republic):

M - 0128.0

B - 1010.5

H - 0051.0

FD - 0040.0

W - 0240.0

S - 0136.0

RR - 0136.0

RL - 0136.0

denodan
Navigator
Options
If you use smart things it can allows auto updates so you dont have to worry about anything
0 Likes
denodan
Navigator
Options
Just use smart things. Miles easier
0 Likes
Matt49
Apprentice
Options

Following up on my previous thread, where i had trouble connecting one of the speakers most of the time (this happened as soon as i received the new device), i called the warranty and they were quick to replace the two rear speakers. (the  pickup+delivery of the huge box from the company servicing made it as easy as it could be.)

Now it seems to work fine but i've only tried for a few minutes. I'll report back if there is any problem!

0 Likes