Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 20-05-2020 01:49 AM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

Tried to but still doesn't work.

0 Likes
mauromol
Pioneer
Options

@Gezmelb "doesn't work" and "no luck" are a bit generic. If you want someone to help you should describe what is your problem. The procedure to update and to check the current soundbar firmware version has been described dozen times in this discussion (and not only).

Just a note from me to all the people who have problems: I updated my HW-Q90R soundbar to 1010.5 firmware version and I got no regression at all compared to the old firmware (which was 1007.9). However my configuration is a bit different from those I read here: an old Sharp TV connected through HDMI (no ARC/eARC) and optical cable, plus a FireTV stick and a LG BluRay player connected to the soundbar, and an Asus O!Play TV Pro connected to the TV. No problems at all with HDMI CEC (the TV knows when the soundbar is connected and I can use the TV and soundbar remotes interchangibly), automatic source change whenever I switch on my FireTV stick or my TV (the other two devices simply never supported it), no lipsync problems, no problems with passthrough with either the FireTV stick (once properly configured and using the correct apps) or the BluRay player, no connectivity problems with the subwoofer or the rear speakers.

So I would suggest to try to contact Samsung customer care in case of serious and persistent problems.

jbdred
Journeyman
Options

I just purchased an LG CX oled which has eARC, which I hope to use permanently and have all devices hooked to TV inputs.  Samsung sound bars drive me nuts because of there cycle through input logic instead of dedicated input codes.  My activities on my harmony remote never work right.

0 Likes
emeric42
Explorer
Options

@Kneciu wrote:

Feature wise everything works great for me, eArc,  Atmos from Netflix internal app and TrueHD passthrough from Nvidia Shield. The problem I got is that whenever I power on the soundbar or TV it doesn't connect to sub and rears automatically they just stay on standby with red light on. I have to disconnect them from power for a minute and after that everything works as expected. What I read from older posts is that this was supposed to be fixed with previous update 1008 but I have the soundbar only couple days and it updated on first day to 1010.5 so I'm not sure if it's the update or my unit is just faulty. I tried basically all possible things like resetting to default, re-pairing all speakers, changing cables, disabling WiFi in entire house to eliminate any interference but nothing helps. I would like to roll back to 1008 but it's not possible apparently (not sure if it would change anything either). All my speakers are updated to newest version and when they are paired everything works flawless and they never loose that connection until I turn TV/soundbar off. I even tried to disable HDMI-CEC hoped that I can keep the soundbar on 24/7 but unfortunatelly it goes to sleep after awhile when no signal is received from TV 😞

Are you sure the firmware of your rears speakers and subwoofer was also updated? You may have an older version and only the firmware of the main unit got the updated.

Kneciu
Journeyman
Options

Yes, I have these numbers posted by someone showing on my soundbar.

M - 0128.0

B - 1010.5 

H - 0051.0 

FD - 0040.0 

W - 0240.0

S - 0136.0

RR - 0136.0

RL -  0136.0

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Kneciu  Information posted previously but just to ensure you have tried this.  After updating soundbar , to update the  subwoofer and surround speakers you may need to press volume button to ensure display lit and hold down the down button for 6 seconds until update is displayed. Process wil take around 10 minutes as the LED lights blink quickly. When update is complete system restarts displaying "Bye and subsequently "On".

More detail here https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/tv-audio-video/how-to-update-the-software-of-your-q90r-soundbar/ 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

Think you have to update your soundbar though first?

how did you do yours?

0 Likes
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

Ok so i can see that my soundbar firmware in smart things app says,

which is the new firmware but i don't get earc on my display.

therefore must be no earc update on this firmware.

0 Likes
amaradam
Journeyman
Options

Hi @Gezmelb

you must turn on eArc setting on the tv 1st i guess.

Kneciu
Journeyman
Options
I’ve done all of that and the update was successful on all speakers as they are showing correct firmware versions. Unfortunately the issue still persists and I have to power cycle all speakers every time I start the soundbar.