Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 18-05-2020 02:38 PM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
went1
Explorer
Options

the update process was nothing like as described in instructions but i somehow managed to get update done because i get earc on the bar display. but whether i turn earc on on my c9 or just set to regular arc, no atmos disolayed on tv and no obvious height channels. when i use tv's internal speakera atmos icon displayed on tv.

0 Likes
Kneciu
Journeyman
Options

Dolby Atmos should not pop-up on TV anymore but on soundbar instead. Have you set the sound mode to passthrough in TV audio settings ? It's somewhere under earc option as far as I remember.

went1
Explorer
Options

setting it to passthrough seems to introduce lip sync delay strangely. also im going from tv to sound bar, isn't passthrough for when you go source - bar - tv? not sure.

0 Likes
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

Think I'm going to give up on this thing, seems such a pain in the ass to enable , might try return mine and see if i can get a refund, as this doesn't sound like can work at all.

0 Likes
Kneciu
Journeyman
Options

As far as i know Passthrough is needed if you have soundbar connected to earc and want to play sounds either from tv apps or any other HDMI source connected directly to TV. It works for me perfectly via Netflix tv app Dolby vision + Dolby Atmos. Works also flawless using Nvidia shield connected to TV even with TrueHD Atmos. I don't experience any lip sync issues.

0 Likes
went1
Explorer
Options

So, I don't know what i did, but i now have vison on the tv and atmos proudly scrolling across the sound bar display. which then shows earc. My settings are Earc on and set to auto. using internal C9 netflix app. no lip sync issues so far with this config. Boom. 

lg c9 prime app doesnt  seem to offer atmos. does it on the nvidia shield or apple 4k?

tempted to get an apple 4k for rented movies as the internal lg apple app doesnt offer atmos it seems. anyone know if it has it? Or alt might a get a shiled for plex. but might even just go the mac mini route for a server.

0 Likes
amaradam
Journeyman
Options

Hi Kneciu,

How you can get atmos on dolby TrueHD? For me, playing atmos demo files (TrueHD) from vlc player on tv to the soundbar seems not working. Sorry for my bad english because i'm better in Indonesia😅

0 Likes
Kneciu
Journeyman
Options

Dolby TrueHD works great on Nvidia shield using Plex app, I haven't tried VLC player like you mentioned.

In regards to Appletv4k you'd better wait for the new version coming soon or for the LG App update which they confirmed will be supporting Dolby Atmos.

0 Likes
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

@went1 

I recommend to set Earc in your C9 to passthrough, not Auto. For your internal apps, such us Netflix, it will not make any difference, though. Because netflix audio compression is Dolby Digital Plus, therefore lossy.  

If you are playing lossless atmos files in an external player AUTO will downgrade it to DD+ as it is the maximum level of compression allowed by the C9. That it's the whole point of the Earc. Earc enable to bridge the TV and pass the uncompressed audio to your sound bar.

Internal player of the C9 cannot play lossless audio (Dolby True HD Atmos , Dts X) , you need an external player if you want lossless atmos/dts:x , and if you are using an external player plugged to your TV you then will need to set EARC to passthrough.  I do not really know why c9 internal player cannot play these files.  Devices that can play lossless files are Nvidia Shield TV , certain multimedia players, certain blu-ray players, and certain game consoles

I do notice the difference between lossless and lossy in the hw-q90r, more clarity, better spacialization of objects, deeper subwoofer. Lossless files in the hw-q90r are simply stunning. Day and night. 

In the C9 Amazon Prime app the only Atmos product avalaible is Jack Ryan season 1.   Although it does not show atmos on the audio description,  it will show up on the bar. 

Personal opinion, Netflix sound in the hw-q90r is really not impressing , specially because of the poor implementation of the side channels in the bar. Rears are really quiet in majority of Netflix shows.

I think that the hw-q90r upmix of Amazon Prime movies/series sound (Using adaptative or sorround sound mode) is superior to that of Netflix (maybe is the bitrate, I do not know).

But to be honest , I've been reading clonficting feedback on this, as for others Netflix sounds stunning in their hw-q90r rears. Maybe I'm just unlucky. 

0 Likes
went1
Explorer
Options

have lg / apple said they will enable atmos in internal app? i assumed this was apple holding something back to encourage 4k tv purches

0 Likes