Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

1010.5 Firmware Update for hw-Q70R/hw-Q80R/hw-Q90R Soundbars

(Topic created on: 13-05-2020 11:55 AM)
Estevez1979
Pioneer
Options

Good morning friends.

I've performed the firmware update for my HW-Q90R soundbar.

Given that there is no official statement from Samsung with the details of the update  I would like to check with the community what new features have been included.

- How can I check now the firmware version on the bar, to check if the rears are updated as well? In the past just by holding the sound mode button on the remote with the soundbar off the different versions appeared on the display.

Now it is not case. Now by holding sound mode for 5 seconds with the bar off it enables a new functionality: Test Tone

NEW FEATURES

- EARC functionality is enabled, this is great.

- Test tone: What it this for? It performs a test of the sound of the different channels, is it useful for anything else?

- Now in the sources appeared TV SPEAKERS, what is this for?

I would like to check specially if the update has included any update of the rears and subwoffer

519 REPLIES 519
johnGR
Pioneer
Options
If you only see "arc" and you have 2.1 hdmi cable as you say, that maybe means that your TV is not eARC.
The smartthings app, I believe needs updating because Samsung updated the soundbar but not the app. So the app does not see eARC even if your soundbar recognizes eARC.
As for the rear speakers, do a test tone to see if the work. 1010.5 update has a test tone integrated, but it does not work as it should for the rear channels.
0 Likes
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

hi john

thanks for your help,

tv is earc, it a new 2020 oled lg, 2019 model had earc. and actually has earc labelled on back.

don't know why it's so hard to not see anything and how can you watch something with dolby atmos which should be automatic, watching something now with 4k and atmos but not the best test material as it's just a dram, 

yeah still not hearing speakers , light is blue at the back. 

0 Likes
johnGR
Pioneer
Options
Ok, your TV is definitely earc, the hdmi cable is 2.1, have you checked that the numbers of the 1010.5 firmware are those they suppose to be? Check previous posts in this topic to see the full official numbers for your soundbar. And check that the subwoofer and rears are connected properly. The blue light you see at the back, sometimes is misleading. it had occurred to me sometimes the blue light to be steady on the subwoofer, but in reality it was stuck. Try take the power off from the subwoofer and rears and connect them again. Then, run a check on the numbers for your firmware. Good luck!
0 Likes
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

Hey john 

I haven't been able to check the numbers I will

seems to scroll the new firmware number but I'll have to take it down 

have tried resuming speaker but never hear audio from them during movies , there is sound playing from them but. I surround separation 

0 Likes
DjK4Yahweh
Explorer
Options

@johnGR wrote:
Hi,
I don't believe that by streaming from your phone you can have atmos. It must be played from an hdmi device connected to the soundbar or TV (If you have earc on your TV). And except the mp4 files, you can also try the mkv files from the link i already uploaded.

I have a  Samsung s2 tablet, I can download the  files to the tablet then connect tablet to tv via hdmi. Will that work?

0 Likes
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

how did you update your firmware?

through the things app?

mine still gives the update now option

but saying the new firmware number but says not updates available.

0 Likes
ajmitchell
Student
Options

Hi   I have the same TV which doesnt support earc

0 Likes
Gezmelb
Apprentice
Options

what tv do you have?

mine has Earc on the port

0 Likes
ajmitchell
Student
Options

Auskin 

ignore my previous note - im have an C8 not C9 so i dont have earc.  Nice set up - im also in spain so happy to confirm any details as needed

0 Likes
johnGR
Pioneer
Options
Hi djk4yahweh,

no I don't think that it is going to work with a tablet. And it is better to be connected to the soundbar, unless there is an earc connection between TV and soundbar.
0 Likes